ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining a Dutch Passport through Ancestry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jasonv
Newly Registered

Obtaining a Dutch Passport through Ancestry

Post by Jasonv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Guys,

My grandfather and father were both born in the Netherlands!
I was born in South Africa and have a twin brother as well. Do I qualify for a dutch passport through ancestry or not. I am not sure if my father changed nationalities when he originally came to south africa, but is back in the Netherlands and has been for 5 plus years. Please can you answer this question to the best of your knowledge, I will really appreciate it!

Regards,

Traveler33
Newly Registered

Post by Traveler33 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Don't know about Dutch citizenship but know about two other European countries.

The law states how you gain citizenship (for example, being born to one citizen parent, or maybe both need to be citizens) and how you lose it (such as naturalization in another country, military service in another country etc.) There are subtleties to this, sometimes you lose it by voluntarily joining a foreign army but not if you are forced into service (drafted.)

Moreover, in many countries there have been new laws over the years, and the law that matters is not necessarily current law but what the law was at the time that the birth, naturalization, etc. occurred.

Sometimes it's possible to reclaim citizenship if you've lost it.

You can start out looking at the Dutch consulate website in major world cities (London, New York, etc. as well as in South Africa) but it is likely that it will only briefly discuss current law.

Also the Dutch govt. probably has some info on the web, possibly previous laws regarding citizenship. Don't know whether you know the Dutch language, but Google translate will give you a rough idea of what the web pages say and if you find anything that may be ofinterest you can get someone to translate just that part for you.

Also I would assume that due to current conditionsthere might be quite a few other South Africans exploring their Dutch citizenship options, and you might find a board dealing with South Africa in general whcih might include some discussion of Dutch citizenship.

Under what basis was your father able to return to Holland? Was he still a Dutch citizen when you were born? These are all things that might help you get an answer.

Jasonv
Newly Registered

Post by Jasonv » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi, thank you for the reply, He was still a Dutch Citizen when I was born until he had to go into national service. To my knowledge I would have been dutch until 1990 or 1993!

chesterfield
Newly Registered

Post by chesterfield » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Jasonv wrote:Hi, thank you for the reply, He was still a Dutch Citizen when I was born until he had to go into national service. To my knowledge I would have been dutch until 1990 or 1993!
Yes, if your father was Dutch when you were born, then you were Dutch at that time and have probably subsequently lost your Dutch nationality.

Whether or not you can regain it depends on when you were born. For a quick overview, go to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law and scroll down to "Loss of Dutch citizenship".

In any case, if you manage to get a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands for one year, you can then use the Option Procedure to get it back. For info go here: http://english.ind.nl/residencewizard/ and then click "I want to become a Dutch national" and then "Conditions".