ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any Ideas

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Aimar

Any Ideas

Post by Aimar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

This is driving me nuts. I am a UK citizen and my wife is Nigerian, we got married in Nigeria and intend relocating to Spain therefore my wife would be eligible for a free EU schengen visa under the freedom of movement directive. Spain embassy has asked us to provide a legalised copy of our Marriage certificate, the certificate has been authenticated by the appropriate ministry in the country, however Spain consulate insists it must be legalised by the UK High commission. Clearly impossible. Nigeria is a commonwealth country therefore UK does not issue any such attestations as to the validity of a marriage since it is implicitly recognised by the UK, is this a stitch-up or am i being paranoid ?

Stefan-TR

Re: Any Ideas

Post by Stefan-TR » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Aimar wrote:Spain embassy has asked us to provide a legalised copy of our Marriage certificate, the certificate has been authenticated by the appropriate ministry in the country, however Spain consulate insists it must be legalised by the UK High commission.
You could alternatively approach the Spanish embassy in Nigeria and ask them to legalize your Marriage certificate. If the document is to be given to Spanish authorities, that's the way I would have usually expect it to work anyway.

If that doesn't help, try contacting SOLVIT who can mediate between the Spanish and British authorities.

skele

Post by skele » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 am

The French and the Spanish both do this, it's bullsh*t delaying tactics. Just another way of trying to make you go away.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Any Ideas

Post by ca.funke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Aimar,

while I can´t help you content-wise, I´d strongly suggest you change the title of your thread to draw more attention as per >>these suggestions<<.

Good luck in your move to Spain!

Rgds, Christian