ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion over 'Multiple Entry' aspect of WP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DanB
Newly Registered

Confusion over 'Multiple Entry' aspect of WP

Post by DanB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 am

Hi
I am completing a WP1 form for a person I wish to employ, but am confused what exactly the Multiple Entry Work Permit is, despite having referenced the relevant section in the guidance notes. Could someone please help me.

I had the following questions:
1) What does 'multiple entry' mean? Does this mean the employee can enter and leave the country many times throughout the permit period (as opposed to a 'single' entry)? I would occasionally want to send the prospective employee overseas on business trips for work and I presume he would like to do so also for leisure. Is the 'multiple' permit the only one to capture this coming and going?
2) Hence, what is the alternative to a Multiple Entry? If I tick NO to the Multiple Entry question, what difference does this make? (I guess what I am trying to understand is in what cases I would want/not want him to have multiple entry)
3) The guidance notes state that the 'Multiple Entry' application must be made whilst the person is out of the country, however the person I want to employ is currently on a Work Permit with another company. What choice do I have here?
4) And how does his entry status on his current WP affect my choice in seeking a Multiple Entry option, i.e. if he is already on a Multiple Entry permit.

Apologies for quite a few questions, but the guidance notes raised more questions than they answered.

Thank you for your help
Dan

hellothere
Newly Registered

Post by hellothere » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:25 pm

I presume you must have found it out by now......

Still.....

1. I guess Multiple entry is the only option to capture multiple number of entries into the country once a person leaves the country.....Unless you have already calculated to precision how many times you would sent him away from the country and how many times he might travel for leisure :-)

2. I am not sure....But I think you can limit the number of entries.....Single entry would mean he can't leave the country at all.....not the favorite option for a WP holder.......

3. Sorry..not sure.....I think existing entry criteria on his WP might still apply....Also out of country application and in-country appliation differ in terms of the tiers.....(???)

4. As I said....current entry criteria might still apply.....

I would tick yes to Multiple Entry.........what reasons could you possibly have to restrict the movements of your employee unless the job itself has such a requirement.....!!!
Also a word with your employee might help as well......

Cheers,
AV

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 pm

I am afraid the reply to the initial query is incorrect. If I am not mistaken all entry clearance / visas issued are multiple entries. You can enter and leave UK as many times as you wish as long as your visa is valid. The 'multiple entry' on the work permit means a separate type of work permit.

AFAIK the 'multiple entry' work permit can have a maximum validity of two years where as the normal work permit has a maximum validity of five years.

You can sponser your wife and children under 18 as dependents under a normal work permit only, not under a multiple work permit. Moreover time spend on a 'multiple workpermit' does not count towards ILR (i.e. five years on a work permit)

I hope some senior member can confirm this ino

Hope it helps

hellothere
Newly Registered

Post by hellothere » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 am

Hello...

I hold a multiple entry work permit valid for 5 years.....so I guess the duration should not depend on the number of entries......

I am not aware of different kinds of work permit based on number of entries.....but then I am not a legal expert.....

So maybe someone more experienced has to chip in for a clear picture....

Cheers.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:13 am

You are all wrong.

Multiple entry work permits allow people who are based overseas to enter the UK for short periods of time to work. It is not a settlement visa and therefore does not count towards ILR. In many respects it is like a glorified business visit visa.

I can understand the confusion as the term "multiple entry" usually refers to how many times you may enter a country on a particular visa. However in this sense it is used as the name for this particular type of visa.

You can get more info about multiple entry work permits here:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... 4.7.05.pdf
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.