ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP and marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Fabio
Newly Registered

HSMP and marriage

Post by Fabio » Wed May 31, 2006 10:41 am

HI guys
I come to UK in March on HSMP visa, I met my girl friend here, she is English. We are in Love and are planing to marry by end of this year. I have one question if marrying on my HSMP visa is allowed or I need clearence from home office before mariage.
Many thanks in advance.

Fabio
Newly Registered

Post by Fabio » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 am

If someone will please answer my question do I need certificate of approval (CoA) from home office before marriage. I am non EU while my girl friend is British.

EJ

Post by EJ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:38 pm

I am afraid you do Fabio, all persons on visas in the UK have to apply for CoA to get married. Only if you have ILR do you not need to do it.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:48 pm

all persons on visas in the UK have to apply for CoA to get married
It depends upon the type of visa! If it is a Fiancé(e) visa or a Wedding Visitor visa .... then no requirement to get a CoA ... and you have already mentioned that ILR holders don't need to get one either.

So Fabio, here on HSMP, yes you will need to get a CoA before being able to get married in the UK. Can I ask, how long is left on your current visa? If less than three months then you will need to wait until after you get your HSMP extension before applying for the CoA.
John

Fabio
Newly Registered

Post by Fabio » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 am

Dear John and EJ
Thanks for your reply. I have left seven months on my initial HSMP visa after that I need to extend it for next four years.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:33 am

Fabio, OK, you must make your application for a CoA when there is at least three months left on your visa. In fact you might as well apply for the CoA now. Do so by submitting this form.
John

Fabio
Newly Registered

Post by Fabio » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi John
Thanks for this help and form, if you please let me know, whether I also need to change the status of my visa (which is currently HSMP) from HSMP to spouse after marriage or it is not necessary.
Many thanks in advance.
Fabio

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Fabio, I think the thing that is certain here is that your current visa expires next March .... right? So you will absolutely need to apply for something prior to the expiry date of the current visa.

Ordinarily that would have been an HSMP extension, but far better than that, after the marriage has happened, you should apply for a two-year spouse visa. You can apply for that as soon as the marriage has happened ... no need to wait until near the expiry of the current visa.

Getting a spouse visa means that nearly two years later you can apply for ILR ..... years sooner than you would have got that staying on the HSMP route.

And indeed, given that you will be married to a British Citizen, following you getting your ILR, you will be eligible to apply for Naturalisation as British three years after your initial arrival on the HSMP ... just, what, say 2 or 3 months after getting your ILR.
John