ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Car Insurance with International Driving Licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mysenthilkumar
Newly Registered

Car Insurance with International Driving Licence

Post by mysenthilkumar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,

I came to UK by NOV 2010 (2 months back) by Tier 1 visa and now got setteled with job and appt.

Iam planning to buy a car as i can drive for first 12 months with my country driving licence(NON UK and NON EU).But wanted to know will i get car insurance with International Driving Licence (NON UK / NON EU) and which insurance company can give better premium for me.

If any of you have gone through the same route or know which company better let me know.

Anyway iam applying for my UK provisional licence in the mean time.

Thanks
SK

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Just go to any of the price comparison sites (use the search engine of your choice).

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

From what I remember, Tesco was one of the widely used companies for insurance especially for people with oversees license. This was, howver, more than 4 years back but as said earlier, there are so many price comparison sites today its very easy for you.

Also make sure if you can drive when on UK provisional license. Once you get any UK license, the concept of driving on the road for 12months on international license is VOID - the rule is you can drive up to 12 months after which you must apply for Provisional and perm license. If, however, you apply for provisional license any time before or after 12 months then you fall into UK driving laws and cannot fall back on your Indian one - just be careful and apply only after 11 months or so

KP

spfc

Post by spfc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:20 pm

kenfrapin wrote:From what I remember, Tesco was one of the widely used companies for insurance especially for people with oversees license. This was, howver, more than 4 years back but as said earlier, there are so many price comparison sites today its very easy for you.

Also make sure if you can drive when on UK provisional license. Once you get any UK license, the concept of driving on the road for 12months on international license is VOID - the rule is you can drive up to 12 months after which you must apply for Provisional and perm license. If, however, you apply for provisional license any time before or after 12 months then you fall into UK driving laws and cannot fall back on your Indian one - just be careful and apply only after 11 months or so

KP
Are we RESIDENTS only when we get ILR or as soon as the first Tier 1 visa is issued?

I am asking this because if the second option is true, then you can apply for provisional license without having to use L plates, etc...
taken from: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022561

Residents
If you are the holder of an ordinary driving licence (car, moped, motorcycle entitlement) and provided your licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions eg displaying 'L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12-month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply. If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

If you are the holder of a vocational licence (minibus, bus, lorry entitlement) and a new resident, you must not drive large vehicles until you have passed the relevant GB driving test. Driving test candidates are required to pass a motor car (category B) test first before applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

I was implying that if you do take your Provisional License before the 12months lapse then
1. You are in the DVLA system
2. You CANNOT drive without supervision

In effect, you are shooting yourself in the foot by getting a Provisional before your 12months are completed - of course, I am assuming you want to drive freely without having a qualified driver with a UK license next to you always.

And the term 'resident' means what it is - you are residing in the UK whether a student, a citizen, a refugee it doesnt matter. What does matter is that a Provisional is very limited and such drivers cannot drive along with supervision

KP

spfc

Post by spfc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

kenfrapin wrote:I was implying that if you do take your Provisional License before the 12months lapse then
1. You are in the DVLA system
2. You CANNOT drive without supervision

In effect, you are shooting yourself in the foot by getting a Provisional before your 12months are completed - of course, I am assuming you want to drive freely without having a qualified driver with a UK license next to you always.

And the term 'resident' means what it is - you are residing in the UK whether a student, a citizen, a refugee it doesnt matter. What does matter is that a Provisional is very limited and such drivers cannot drive along with supervision

KP
Ok, understood, but where did you find this information that as soon as you get the provisional license you are no longer able to use your international license?

In my previous post it clearly says that you can get the provisional license, PASS the tests and then you will be awarded a FULL license if all this is done within 12 months of your. Or did I get it wrong?
To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

You are not reading the sentence in its entirety and hence the confusion.
The statement means
1. OK you have 12 months to drive on international license
2. But one day after 12 months are done, you cannot drive unless you have a FULL UK Drivers License
3. To get this License, the process to be followed is FIRST get provisional license and you get this by doing the theory tests. This is similar to gettinh Learners in India.
4. Then with the provisional license you can still drive BUT subject to the condition that you are supervised
5. To get full license, take the practical and pass. Once you get this License, you can drive freely.

So to get to state 5 where you can drive freely without supervision JUST LIKE how you did in those 12 months earlier, you need to do all mentioned above. Just because you have an international one and get a provisional does not mean you can continue to drive - as soon as you get the provisional license you fall under UK Driving laws and your international license is no longer valid

I hope this is clear else best to ask someone to explain in person

KP

spfc

Post by spfc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 pm

kenfrapin wrote:You are not reading the sentence in its entirety and hence the confusion.
The statement means
1. OK you have 12 months to drive on international license
2. But one day after 12 months are done, you cannot drive unless you have a FULL UK Drivers License
3. To get this License, the process to be followed is FIRST get provisional license and you get this by doing the theory tests. This is similar to gettinh Learners in India.
4. Then with the provisional license you can still drive BUT subject to the condition that you are supervised
5. To get full license, take the practical and pass. Once you get this License, you can drive freely.

So to get to state 5 where you can drive freely without supervision JUST LIKE how you did in those 12 months earlier, you need to do all mentioned above. Just because you have an international one and get a provisional does not mean you can continue to drive - as soon as you get the provisional license you fall under UK Driving laws and your international license is no longer valid

I hope this is clear else best to ask someone to explain in person

KP
Hi kenfrapin, thank you for the very thorough explanation, but all of that I already know. My question is much simpler than this:

Where did you check that when you get your provisional license the international one is no longer valid?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 am

spfc wrote: Hi kenfrapin, thank you for the very thorough explanation, but all of that I already know. My question is much simpler than this:

Where did you check that when you get your provisional license the international one is no longer valid?
My friends were caught and informed of this, happened not for one but few of them and ever since then the others only applied after their 12 months were up :-)
Note that this was about 3 years back but the rules haven't changed since. Also, the meaning of the WORD Provisional is just that - once you get provisional UK license, you are governed by those laws - you cant choose to use international license when you have a provisional given by the DVLA.

Either dont apply for it or if you do, then throw away the international license. You cant even fool the cops because when they check their system you will be listed with a provisional and they will say why are you driving alone/ why havent you got your full license - they dont give 2 cents about international one when you yourself took a provisional license!

KP

spfc

Post by spfc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 am

kenfrapin wrote:
spfc wrote: Hi kenfrapin, thank you for the very thorough explanation, but all of that I already know. My question is much simpler than this:

My friends were caught and informed of this, happened not for one but few of them and ever since then the others only applied after their 12 months were up :-)
Note that this was about 3 years back but the rules haven't changed since. Also, the meaning of the WORD Provisional is just that - once you get provisional UK license, you are governed by those laws - you cant choose to use international license when you have a provisional given by the DVLA.

Either dont apply for it or if you do, then throw away the international license. You cant even fool the cops because when they check their system you will be listed with a provisional and they will say why are you driving alone/ why havent you got your full license - they dont give 2 cents about international one when you yourself took a provisional license!

KP
No way mate, seems your friend was unlucky then... :shock:
If you read the statement below (specially what is in RED) which was taken from DVLA website, you will see that what your friend went through does not make any sense (unless he was driving with provisional licence beyond the 12 months period).

To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12-month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions eg displaying 'L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12-month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for that - it does make sense and I stand corrected. Looks like the cops were not too sure and nor were my friends and hence they got stuck into it. Pretty sure they were inside the 12month time fram but I cant be a 100% certain as well.

Its quite clear as per the wording so it should not be a problem at all getting your provisional done inside the 12month period and being able to drive freely till then.

Cheers
KP