ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bad news: Overhaul of settlement rights planned

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yh37
Newly Registered

Bad news: Overhaul of settlement rights planned

Post by yh37 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 am

Not sure it will be only for new arrivals...it could be for people who're already in Uk.We will have to wait until tomorrow and see what Damian Green's plans are..

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 pm

smaganti wrote:Not sure it will be only for new arrivals...it could be for people who're already in Uk.We will have to wait until tomorrow and see what Damian Green's plans are..
You wont find out anything tomorrow. Article says he will announce tomorrow that he will launch a review of all settlement routes in spring. He will go on about trying to stop settlement, limiting immigration etc but it will be months before we find out anything confirmed...

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 pm

xyz123 wrote:
smaganti wrote:Not sure it will be only for new arrivals...it could be for people who're already in Uk.We will have to wait until tomorrow and see what Damian Green's plans are..
You wont find out anything tomorrow. Article says he will announce tomorrow that he will launch a review of all settlement routes in spring. He will go on about trying to stop settlement, limiting immigration etc but it will be months before we find out anything confirmed...
But at least HO may publish a consultation document, which may reveal what a worst case scenario may look like.

psdesai
BANNED

Post by psdesai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

xyz123 wrote:
How many months (roughly) are we talking about?
"Freedom is your very nature. Only with freedom, do joy, generosity and other human values blossom. Without freedom, attitudes become stifling, concepts become a burden, information has no value and imagination becomes stagnant."

abbi123

Post by abbi123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

i assume consulation will be usually 90 days

salina02

Post by salina02 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

This is bad, I about to apply ILR in May 2011 and i waited for nearly 9 years (changing from student - psw - hsmp - tier 1) for this moment and at the finishing stage they cant change the rules.

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 pm

iam in the same boat as you Salina...will be eligible for ILR in July'2011...Nothing else we can do just wait and see

milan_ns

Post by milan_ns » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 pm

It's not really news - most of this was known since November (Home Secretary's speech).

As far as I know, new rules are to be announced in April. Only then will we find out what the changes are and who is affected.

yh37
Newly Registered

Post by yh37 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 am

milan_ns wrote:It's not really news - most of this was known since November (Home Secretary's speech).

As far as I know, new rules are to be announced in April. Only then will we find out what the changes are and who is affected.
stopping in-country applicants from switching from non-settlement visa (T1(PSW)/T4 students etc) to T1(G)/T1/T2 is one major step towards "breaking the link between temporary migration and permanent migration" in May's speech. Because in this case, the number of immigrants allowed to settle in UK every year will be limited by the permanent cap (apart from those via family route).

salina02

Post by salina02 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 am

Any update from MR Green (he is red :twisted: for us)

jager

Post by jager » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 am

salina02 wrote:Any update from MR Green (he is red :twisted: for us)
Nothing new...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/0 ... ant-abuses

salina02

Post by salina02 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

There is nothing related to ILR, its all about students.
Then why there was a strong statement against settlement visa yesterday on telegraph.

abbi123

Post by abbi123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 pm

salina,
wait for full news to come out.......we are all worried about that news which was published yesterday.....but today from this short news nothing new....but have to see what the full letter say and have to wait untill april..as we all nknow...any news rules will come into action from april...to see what changes will affect us.

jager

Post by jager » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 pm

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:54 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth;

This will probably be a clampdown on student visa system abuse. On top of that will be something like scrapping some types of "switching", plus a removal of settlement rights for Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer. I suspect they will do this because they will argue that a transfer should only be temporary and that the system for transfers of staff is open to some abuse. I'd bet they're also looking at the legality of restricting the ability for refugees / asylum seekers to gain ILR. There was a recent case where someone granted asylum (saying they would face death if they were sent back) went home to their home country to train with a terrorist group and then came back to the UK. This is obviously extremely worrying and the government knows they will look good if they stamped on this (which they have to be careful about, because the courts, in effect, say "it may be wrong but it's not illegal").

I think Tier 2 general and most Tier 1 holders will be OK for ILR (eventually) but some other categories will be closed off from getting ILR.

littlerice

Post by littlerice » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm

If everyone looks closely on the 2nd paragraph of the Telegraph article:
In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, he signalled new arrivals could be stopped, once here, from switching on to visas that pave the way for them to earn a British passport.
Then you should see that this has nothing to do with anyone who's already on T1(G) or T2, the previous government has been bitten quite badly when they pushed through 5-year-ILR from 4-year-ILR, they won't be making trouble for themself now when they only have a coalition government, am I right?

jager

Post by jager » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:22 pm

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

We also need to be much clearer about those who are coming here for a time, and those who come here to settle. Since 1997, there has also been an eight fold increase in the numbers settling in the UK from employment-related categories. In 2009 it was 81,000 including dependants. The corresponding figure in 1997 was 10,000. I want a position where Britain continues to attract the best workers, who make a strong contribution to our economy and society during their stay. But it cannot be right that people coming to fill temporary skills gaps have open access to permanent settlement. Therefore, I intend to consult on all routes to settlement in the Spring.

Nothing to see here...

milan_ns

Post by milan_ns » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't think HO would go as far as to remove settlement rights for T2 - especially since they plan to close T1(G).

My guess is that they will crackdown on dodgy colleges, put extra restrictions on student visas (ie remove PSW, right to bring dependents, or work entitlement) and possibly T2 (ie salary, skill level, etc) and that would be it.

If they removed right of T2 to settle, UK businesses would suffer (myself for one wouldn't apply for work permit if I knew I'd have to leave after 5 years or so) - so I don't think HO would go that far.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

milan_ns wrote:I don't think HO would go as far as to remove settlement rights for T2 - especially since they plan to close T1(G).

My guess is that they will crackdown on dodgy colleges, put extra restrictions on student visas (ie remove PSW, right to bring dependents, or work entitlement) and possibly T2 (ie salary, skill level, etc) and that would be it.

If they removed right of T2 to settle, UK businesses would suffer (myself for one wouldn't apply for work permit if I knew I'd have to leave after 5 years or so) - so I don't think HO would go that far.
You are right, but probably HO thinking of increasing the ILR qualifying period from 5 years to 6 / 7 / 8 (not sure yet)