ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - when to start counting....

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dmytro
Newly Registered

ILR - when to start counting....

Post by dmytro » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Hello, I came to UK on 10th septermber 1996. I came as dependant and was covered by mother's visa (i was only 12). We found a school and I started to attend it from 12th of september. On 15th of october I went back to ukraine, and got a student visa based on registration letter from school. This year will be 10 years of my stay. SO my question is: do I apply for ILR based on 10th september entrance, or 20th of october entrance? thank you

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:46 pm

AFAIK, all visa extensions need to be done in the UK to qualify under the 10 years lawful residence rules-please can someone confirm whether this is indeed the case.

dmytro
Newly Registered

Post by dmytro » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:55 pm

No, my friend had all the visas issued in ukraine as well, and she got her ILR last month. Besides, I spoke to several lawers regarding my other issues and they never said that extentions need to be done in UK. I just spoke to another lawer and she said even stay under tourist visa counts- as long as your stay was legal it all counts:)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 pm

dmytro, based upon what you post, I think you can apply 28 days before the 10th anniversary ... 28 days before 10.09.2006 = Monday 14.08.2006 at the earliest. That assumes that at all times in the nearly 10 year period, when in the UK, you have been "legal"!
John