ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

butter_fly
Newly Registered

ILR query

Post by butter_fly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,
Arrived in the UK in Sep. 2007 under work permit visa, switched to Tier 1 in 2009.
Tier 1 will expire in May 2012 (3 months before 5 years stay)
Got married to British citizen in 2009. However, didn't apply for a spouse visa (now I wish I did..)

Now, what is the best way to get ILR (and the quickest one)?

I tried to find an answer on the Home Office web site, but it seems you can apply for ILR as a spouse after 2 years only if you are a holder of a spouse visa, rather then being a spouse factually..
Anybody can advise?

Thank you.

xyz123

Re: ILR query

Post by xyz123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 pm

butter_fly wrote: I tried to find an answer on the Home Office web site, but it seems you can apply for ILR as a spouse after 2 years only if you are a holder of a spouse visa, rather then being a spouse factually..
Anybody can advise?

Thank you.
That is correct you need to stay on spouse visa for 2 years before you can apply for ILR.

You can get ILR in sept 2012 on WP + Tier 1 route. You need an extension of tier 1 for May 2012 to sept 2012.

Or you can get on spouse visa now and then apply in January 2013.

Personally (and this is strictly a perosnal opinion) i would go for spouse visa route. This government is quite keen on reducing no of settlement visa being granted. in my opinion this would have more effect on WP/ Tier 1 holders rather than spouse visa holders.

so spouse visa route may take 4 months longer but may be a bit confirmed...but as i said that's just my opinion, anything can happen with rule changes...

butter_fly
Newly Registered

Post by butter_fly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you, xyz12. I was thinking the same.. Just wanted to know whether there were any loopholes that I am not aware about..

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

butter_fly wrote:Thank you, xyz12. I was thinking the same.. Just wanted to know whether there were any loopholes that I am not aware about..
i am affraid there are no "loopholes" that may help your case.