ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multiple entry for Irish spouse? help pls

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wizardland

Multiple entry for Irish spouse? help pls

Post by wizardland » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm

hi,

just extended my GNIB card (Stamp 4, spouse of Irish citizen) for the next 1 yr (1st GNIB card was for 6 months), anyway i asked abt multiple entry visa ( I came with a D type Irish spouse visa, single entry) and the immigration officer told me to go to DoJ in person and that its all done there and then. My questions r:

1. Since I live far from Dublin, and if I was to travel by train it will cost me more than 20 euro return, I just want to make sure that multiple entry can be obtained on the same day. Share pls

2. If so, what docs do I bring? Passport, GNIB card, marriage cert, and what else? does my Irish spouse hv to bring anything?

3. How much does it cost?

4. My understanding is the multiple entry will be valid for as long as my GNIB card is valid?

5. After I obtained the multiple entry, can I travel to UK or any EU country with my stamp 4? do I have to be accompanied by my spouse or does that apply to stamp4 EUFam only?

6. What time DoJ open? Do they have ticket machine? How long will it take to process the multiple entry? Whens the earliest time I should come to start queuing?

7. Has anyone done this by post? What docs did u send? Is there a form to fill in? Did u make a written letter to apply for the multiple entry?

Thats all for now

Thanks a lot for ur help

fatty patty

Re: Multiple entry for Irish spouse? help pls

Post by fatty patty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

wizardland wrote:hi,

just extended my GNIB card (Stamp 4, spouse of Irish citizen) for the next 1 yr (1st GNIB card was for 6 months), anyway i asked abt multiple entry visa ( I came with a D type Irish spouse visa, single entry) and the immigration officer told me to go to DoJ in person and that its all done there and then. My questions r:

1. Since I live far from Dublin, and if I was to travel by train it will cost me more than 20 euro return, I just want to make sure that multiple entry can be obtained on the same day. Share pls

2. If so, what docs do I bring? Passport, GNIB card, marriage cert, and what else? does my Irish spouse hv to bring anything?

4. My understanding is the multiple entry will be valid for as long as my GNIB card is valid?

5. After I obtained the multiple entry, can I travel to UK or any EU country with my stamp 4? do I have to be accompanied by my spouse or does that apply to stamp4 EUFam only?

6. What time DoJ open? Do they have ticket machine? How long will it take to process the multiple entry? Whens the earliest time I should come to start queuing?

7. Has anyone done this by post? What docs did u send? Is there a form to fill in? Did u make a written letter to apply for the multiple entry?

Thats all for now

Thanks a lot for ur help
Re-entry can be obtained the same day if you are there at the office in person i think and its usually a ticketing system in the mornings on first come first serve kinda basis. Although if you live far from Dublin you can post your completed application along with your docs and re-entry office will send you back your visa in few days. You can travel to any EU country you like wizardland, but you require visa if you're from countries whose nationals do need visa to visit EU. Irish spouse stamp 4 is kinda different from EU stamp 4 in terms of freedom of movement i guess. BTW re-entry visa is free of charge for spouses of Irish/EU fam.

All detailed info/checklist/fees is on that form...

source: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Feb%2009 ... 20Form.pdf

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 am

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 004#329004
esharknz wrote:Interestingly enough, when I went in to register as the spouse of an irish national, the guard (registered at a garda station as I live outside the GNIB areas) said that they are giving out 5 year stamp 4s as opposed to 1 year due to the Metock ruling. While this ruling was specific to the spouses of EU nationals, they are giving it to irish spouses to bring them into line with what EU spouses get. He was looking at a piece of paper just before he mentioned it, so it appears that some sort of memo was sent around regarding this.
other members have received a 5-year stamp-4, first time. read above
its really Irish chaos and mess, the Gardai make it up as they go along.

As spouse of Irish, you might find the following interesting.
http://irelandsreversediscrimination.wo ... 0/02/20/1/

Sorry, I don't know current status of queue at GNIB, last year I heard it was crazy, people start queue at 2am in the morning, but that was
due to staff strike.
Hope others can answer current status.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 am

esharknz wrote:As spouse of Irish, you might find the following interesting.

Interesting article all right, especially since they get some info wrong. For example: "The spouse of an EU citizen can move onto a permanent residence status STAMP-5 with indefinite leave to remain. STAMP-5 means “THE HOLDER OF THIS PASSPORT IS PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN IRELAND WITHOUT CONDITION AS TO TIME.â€

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 am

===> So you have a GNIB card and you need the multiple entry re-entry visa. Yes this is possible in the same day.

==> Those docs should be enough for the reentry visa.

==> Free for spouse of Irish/EU nationals.

==> Yes that's the case

==> if you are are "visa required" national you cant travel just on the basis of stamp4. you will need to get a visa although this can be obtained free of cost. If you are travelling with your spouse the documents needed are very less.

==> if you want to be sure of getting it done in the morning itself, try to come in by 7am or so.

==> Yes it's possible to do this by post.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 am

Wisco wrote:
esharknz wrote:As spouse of Irish, you might find the following interesting.

Spouses of Irish citizens can also get stamp 5 if they have fulfilled the reckonable residency requirements, same as the spouse of an EU citizen.

I'd take anything in this article with a grain of salt as they don't appear to have checked their facts.
Wisco, please clarify your statement, where did you find your information ?
Does the spouse of Irish Citizens obtain automatic permanent residence after 5 years, the same as spouse of EU citizens do ?

The INIS web site still says, Irish spouse cannot apply for long term residence

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency
How do I know if I am ineligible to apply for Long Term Residency?

Applications for Long Term Residency cannot be accepted from persons listed in the following categories:

# The applicant has permission to remain on the basis of his/her marriage to an Irish national (refer applicant to Spouse of Irish National Unit).

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:47 pm

fatty patty wrote:
Re-entry can be obtained the same day if you are there at the office in person i think and its usually a ticketing system in the mornings on first come first serve kinda basis. Although if you live far from Dublin you can post your completed application along with your docs and re-entry office will send you back your visa in few days. You can travel to any EU country you like wizardland, but you require visa if you're from countries whose nationals do need visa to visit EU. Irish spouse stamp 4 is kinda different from EU stamp 4 in terms of freedom of movement i guess. BTW re-entry visa is free of charge for spouses of Irish/EU fam.

All detailed info/checklist/fees is on that form...

source: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Feb%2009 ... 20Form.pdf
thx for this. really helpful

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm

acme4242 wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 004#329004
esharknz wrote:Interestingly enough, when I went in to register as the spouse of an irish national, the guard (registered at a garda station as I live outside the GNIB areas) said that they are giving out 5 year stamp 4s as opposed to 1 year due to the Metock ruling. While this ruling was specific to the spouses of EU nationals, they are giving it to irish spouses to bring them into line with what EU spouses get. He was looking at a piece of paper just before he mentioned it, so it appears that some sort of memo was sent around regarding this.
other members have received a 5-year stamp-4, first time. read above
its really Irish chaos and mess, the Gardai make it up as they go along.

As spouse of Irish, you might find the following interesting.

Sorry, I don't know current status of queue at GNIB, last year I heard it was crazy, people start queue at 2am in the morning, but that was
due to staff strike.
Hope others can answer current status.
thx for the advise and article.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:50 pm

strongbow wrote:1. Since I live far from Dublin, and if I was to travel by train it will cost me more than 20 euro return, I just want to make sure that multiple entry can be obtained on the same day. Share pls
===> So you have a GNIB card and you need the multiple entry re-entry visa. Yes this is possible in the same day.

==> Those docs should be enough for the reentry visa.

==> Free for spouse of Irish/EU nationals.

==> Yes that's the case

==> if you are are "visa required" national you cant travel just on the basis of stamp4. you will need to get a visa although this can be obtained free of cost. If you are travelling with your spouse the documents needed are very less.

==> if you want to be sure of getting it done in the morning itself, try to come in by 7am or so.

==> Yes it's possible to do this by post.
i really like how u answer so systematically. thx a lot, this is grand