ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:33 pm

tusso wrote:Damian Green on BBC, the reporter put him right in where he belongs! haha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12336048
the more i hear this guy the less i understand his concern. so graduates get a two year visa to work in the uk. wow big deal. he acts like the visa lets us roam around homeless, causing crime and destroying the streets of london. we WANT to work. and if we dont use the state for support, which we can't as ensured by the maintenance restrictions, why does he really care? i can totally see his worry about the dodgy unis and fake colleges. that should be dealt with. but graduates from trusted sponsors who want to work should be given the option and the govt should encourage them to do so. i thought the moderator summed it up brilliantly. i was educated in the uk, i love the uk, and would like to settle here. all the more power to us! there are many people in the uk who hate it there, so the govt should be thankful there are those of us who love the uk and would like to live work and settle there. it only increases the world wide reputation of the uk in a positive way,

mist99
Newly Registered

Post by mist99 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
tusso wrote:Damian Green on BBC, the reporter put him right in where he belongs! haha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12336048
i thought the moderator summed it up brilliantly. i was educated in the uk, i love the uk, and would like to settle here. all the more power to us! there are many people in the uk who hate it there, so the govt should be thankful there are those of us who love the uk and would like to live work and settle there. it only increases the world wide reputation of the uk in a positive way,
Hello mate, this is not the point. It is rightly and completely up to the government to decide whether to allow you to settle here even if you would like to. And it is the target of the government to reduce the number of settlement of people from abroad. I believe most international students only intend to rely on psw for work experience rather than settlement.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm

N/A

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm

What am actually interested in is the fate of PSW visa after april. It will surely be stopped on or b4 april. let us hope a Transitional arrangement will be annonced that will cover existing students after april.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Most importantly, the consultation is done, government is about to announce our fate. But to be honest we all want to see the result of that so-called consultation for instance a percentage in-favour and out-favour of PSW.

If Government really want to make it a base for their new rules then the results should be publish in their web site and newspapers. We can take advantage and argue their results in court.
Last edited by Tier 4 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N/A

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm

I agree with Tier4 and would like to add here that even if they don't publish the data, we can always ask for that data under the Freedom of Information Act or some similar Act.

They have received 30000 responses and I think it’s unprecedented in these types of consultations.

I'm still hopeful of TA for everyone, if not we must stand united and fight against this Unfairness.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

[quote="cruxifixo"]What am actually interested in is the fate of PSW visa after april. It will surely be stopped on or b4 april. let us hope a Transitional arrangement will be annonced that will cover existing students after april.[/quote]

Man this board goes through ups and downs in terms of optimism about PSW, so far what we all think is speculation but we cant be that negative, its not like the government is doing this policy arbitrarily, while Mr Green was promoting his policy, the representatives of the UK Education sector went to parliament to do the oral presentation on the inquiry about immigration changes, so its not gonna be that easy for the Home Office to do sudden changes.

Moreover In the BBC radio interview damian green said current students will be taken in consideration on the current proposals... Finally in today s bbc interview he said he was in policy talks about proposals with the education sector, and there are powerful universities invovled,

u think LSE will let pSW without a fight? We are not alone and we have done our fair bit... Also may I remind you that the cap the government introduced within economic migrants was within the recommendations of the Migration Advisory Committee and in the end the Business Sector managed to lobby strong enough so that intra company transfers werent included into the cap.

So cheer up, at least some form of TA will be in place... Believe me its in the interest of the Coalition Government to avoid conflict in a prominent sector...

Finally, based on the speech he gave today this suggests PSW wont completely go away: "We will consider the options, for example reducing the length of time that graduates can seek skilled work in the UK, in the light of the consultation responses"

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:45 pm

tusso wrote:
cruxifixo wrote:What am actually interested in is the fate of PSW visa after april. It will surely be stopped on or b4 april. let us hope a Transitional arrangement will be annonced that will cover existing students after april.
Man this board goes through ups and downs in terms of optimism about PSW, so far what we all think is speculation but we cant be that negative, its not like the government is doing this policy arbitrarily, while Mr Green was promoting his policy, the representatives of the UK Education sector went to parliament to do the oral presentation on the inquiry about immigration changes, so its not gonna be that easy for the Home Office to do sudden changes.

Moreover In the BBC radio interview damian green said current students will be taken in consideration on the current proposals... Finally in today s bbc interview he said he was in policy talks about proposals with the education sector, and there are powerful universities invovled,

u think LSE will let pSW without a fight? We are not alone and we have done our fair bit... Also may I remind you that the cap the government introduced within economic migrants was within the recommendations of the Migration Advisory Committee and in the end the Business Sector managed to lobby strong enough so that intra company transfers werent included into the cap.

So cheer up, at least some form of TA will be in place... Believe me its in the interest of the Coalition Government to avoid conflict in a prominent sector...

Finally, based on the speech he gave today this suggests PSW wont completely go away: "We will consider the options, for example reducing the length of time that graduates can seek skilled work in the UK, in the light of the consultation responses"

i hate to be negative because we will ge grateful for whatever we get but i surely hope that current students and recent grads get the full two years.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 pm

TA is only if govt completely stop PSW but if they reduce to 1yr, wht abut in tht case...are we still eligible for 2yr through TA. or have to accept wht evr we got...is ther any point or chance to fight in ths type of situation.

Bcz they are keeping ther promise and giving the chance to get work exprnce by reducing time period....

rizwanvu

Post by rizwanvu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 pm

luckylondon wrote:TA is only if govt completely stop PSW but if they reduce to 1yr, wht abut in tht case...are we still eligible for 2yr through TA. or have to accept wht evr we got...is ther any point or chance to fight in ths type of situation.

Bcz they are keeping ther promise and giving the chance to get work exprnce by reducing time period....
yes this is very important point.who already in uk and going to complete degree.
RIZWAN

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 pm

luckylondon wrote:TA is only if govt completely stop PSW but if they reduce to 1yr, wht abut in tht case...are we still eligible for 2yr through TA. or have to accept wht evr we got...is ther any point or chance to fight in ths type of situation.

Well, as I said above there is only one way to find it; if they publish the result of consultation, so we can identify how much percentage said to reduce it. If no one said then how come they can reduce it to current students? Yet if they are inflexible to reduce it then what was the point for whole consultation, aren’t they making the mockery of our vulnerability and this whole system?
N/A

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 am

clearly says at lest thy would reduce the time period..if not closed
1. How to deal such situation
2. Have we plan anything
3. Still TA will be given to old students
4. Do we have to accept what we will get or still have the chance to fight back?

need to think....and think

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:49 pm

they will give those of us with degrees already the full two years and upcoming grads will get two years as well. current students graduating in two years + will get one year. that has to be it or else they give all current students and recent grads 2 years.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

if existing students and old students will get for 2yrs then its fair justice...new policies or rules shuld only be applied to new comers..(atlest new comers got the option..either to come or not but we are alrdy on boat...so fairness and justice shuld be done to us by keeping the promise).

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 am

Come on, they can publish the results... this isn't rocket science, is it? They are just playing with our nerves.

1 year is also not acceptable... I am finishing now and I want 2 years. The point of TA, or "covering" existing students is to give the visa as it was, not a changed one.

1 year, I think we should also go to court... this is discrimination, and unfair.
When mba TA was given, this was respected.

Kasun
Newly Registered

Post by Kasun » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:21 am

jlewisunh wrote:off topic for a second:

the letter issued from your uni,if you don't have your certificate (original award) yet....it asks for the start and end date of course.

is the end date the date you took your last exam, handed in your last piece of work, date of expiration of visa or date the award was conferred? my original course was scheduled to end sep 2010 but i had to do a resit on jan 14th. degree conferred feb 2nd. visa expired jan 31st 2011. not sure what date to use.

thanks
There should be a proper start end date for your course, mate. It should mentioned in the PSW letter issued by the university. Basically you have to mentioned the start and end dates mentioned in the PSW letter. I think its better to clarify from your Uni's student office.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 am

Also, I really like that lawyers already see that this consultation is illegal...

Remember how I said it is rigged? It kind of points u to select answers they want... it is far from impartial. Also, many facts are twisted to make you give the answer they want. What's the point of it, then?

Guys, they have made us a favour... with this crooked rigged consultation, we have one more argument for ourselves. I am quite certain we can bring them down in court, point by point, for the claims.

I really like this part:
"According to Penningtons, a government consultation must satisfy three conditions to be lawful: there must be legitimate expectation that it is fair; all considerations raised by respondents must be taken into account; and adequate reasons must be provided for all policy decisions.

If taken to a judicial review, a judge would also consider whether correct procedure had been followed and whether the decision could be considered to be “rationalâ€

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:40 am

As compare to EU/Home student ...International student not only pays more but also contribute a lot to their economy without clamming any Benefits.

In favour what we are asking is just 2yrs...
If PSW is closed/Reduce...it wuld be like cheating or using us for their own purpose.

we have to stood together and fight for our rights..
Its seems this government woun't serve us in plate...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:52 am

[quote="fibreman"]Also, I really like that lawyers already see that this consultation is illegal...

Remember how I said it is rigged? It kind of points u to select answers they want... it is far from impartial. Also, many facts are twisted to make you give the answer they want. What's the point of it, then?

Guys, they have made us a favour... with this crooked rigged consultation, we have one more argument for ourselves. I am quite certain we can bring them down in court, point by point, for the claims.

I really like this part:
"According to Penningtons, a government consultation must satisfy three conditions to be lawful: there must be legitimate expectation that it is fair; all considerations raised by respondents must be taken into account; and adequate reasons must be provided for all policy decisions.

If taken to a judicial review, a judge would also consider whether correct procedure had been followed and whether the decision could be considered to be “rationalâ€
N/A

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

[quote="Tier 4"][quote="fibreman"]Also, I really like that lawyers already see that this consultation is illegal...

I really like this part:

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Have a look at the article of the times higher education about the consultation not being legal, there is the name of the firm of solicitors that criticized the consultation and said that they could take them to court, I think its this one
http://www.penningtons.co.uk/

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Have a look at the article of the times higher education about the consultation not being legal, there is the name of the firm of solicitors that criticized the consultation and said that they could take them to court, I think its this one
http://www.penningtons.co.uk

However, to be honest, I dont think you will be able to get your fees back and dont think you have much of a case there, cause the university did provide you with a service, gave you an education and world wide respected degree, plus then you would have to fight with your university plus UKBA, it was not the initiative of the university but of UKBA so therefore efforts should be aimed to get TA for 2 years, which was the regulation at the time etc...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:33 pm

tusso wrote:Have a look at the article of the times higher education about the consultation not being legal, there is the name of the firm of solicitors that criticized the consultation and said that they could take them to court, I think its this one

However, to be honest, I dont think you will be able to get your fees back and dont think you have much of a case there, cause the university did provide you with a service, gave you an education and world wide respected degree, plus then you would have to fight with your university plus UKBA, it was not the initiative of the university but of UKBA so therefore efforts should be aimed to get TA for 2 years, which was the regulation at the time etc...
yea well said, we cant make unis/colleges hostile as well. This pond is full with crocodiles
N/A

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
tusso wrote:Have a look at the article of the times higher education about the consultation not being legal, there is the name of the firm of solicitors that criticized the consultation and said that they could take them to court, I think its this one

yea well said, we cant make unis/colleges hostile as well. This pond is full with crocodiles

Plus Universities are also fighting for the PSW to remain and the proposed policy changes not to be implemented, so they are our major high profile allies, if we go against them we will lose the battle

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:26 pm

tusso wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:

Plus Universities are also fighting for the PSW to remain and the proposed policy changes not to be implemented, so they are our major high profile allies, if we go against them we will lose the battle
Ok, I agree with you guys, I just want 2 year psw, nothing else... in event that fails, I'd go for money also. I agree unis stand at out side- but for profit, guys, not sympathy.

First step is to try to get psw as it is. Any other actions would follow if this fails.