ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information Regarding addition of Child

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alpha_1

Information Regarding addition of Child

Post by alpha_1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi, I have applied for my naturalization in May 2010. I am on working visa scheme. This year our new baby is born. I have few questions:

1) Do I have to inform Garda for GNIB of my baby?
2) Do I have to inform Naturalization guys about the birth? (Note, I did not apply for my spouse as she is living here less than 5 years).
3) I suppose since I am on working visa for the last 6 years now, my baby is entitled for Irish Passport. If yes, what is the procedure?

Thanks.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

ur child automatically eleigible for irish passport, if u r on working visa since last 3 years, contact passport office for further procedure

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.
I recall getting told by the garda when I went to register (outside Dublin) as the spouse of an Irish national that he wanted to be informed of any children we had, so as to add it to my record. I'm not sure what difference it makes to them, but maybe if you could ring them up and see if your irish citizen child needs to be noted on your record.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm

It doesn't sound like Alpha's married to an Irish citizen.
I also didn't think children of non-Irish people are automatically eligible for citizenship anymore (regardless of work permit/permission to remain status), but as I don't have kids I haven't looked into this area much.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 am

Wisco wrote: I also didn't think children of non-Irish people are automatically eligible for citizenship anymore (regardless of work permit/permission to remain status), but as I don't have kids I haven't looked into this area much.
Children born to non-Irish are eligible for Irish citizenship if they qualify a certain criteria.
Acquisition of citizenship

At birth

A person born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005:[3]

is automatically an Irish citizen if he or she is not entitled to the citizenship of any other country;[4] or
is entitled to be an Irish citizen if at least one of his or her parents is:
an Irish citizen (or someone entitled to be an Irish citizen);[5]
a British citizen;[6]
a resident of the island of Ireland who is entitled to reside in either the R]epublic or in Northern Ireland without any time limit on that residence;[7] or
a legal resident of the island of Ireland for three out of the 4 years preceding the child's birth (although time spent as a student or as an asylum seeker does not count for this purpose).[8]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

alpha_1

Post by alpha_1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks all for the reply. We both are non-EU.
I also called Irish Passport Office and I told them about my visa and stuff. They said that my baby is entitled for Irish Nationality which is a good news :)

All I need to do is to fill the Form for Passport and send in my baby birth certificate, photos, fees, and my original passport. I will do that once I recieve the PPS number for my child.

Thanks a lot all for the advice.