ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need help I have lots of Questions

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Alex85
Newly Registered

I need help I have lots of Questions

Post by Alex85 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 pm

1 - I am on a Youth Mobility Visa and my employer wants to sponsor me under tier 2 general. Will I have to return to Australia and apply for Visa from there? Can I apply for Tier 2 Visa before my YMV has expired?

2 - I am self-employed through this company will my boss have to provide proof that he is paying me a salary? He is willing to bend the rules where he can but obviously does not want either of us to get into trouble.

3 - In about 10 months time I will be opening my own offices as a branch of his but I will be responsible for all of it, the earnings will be mine and it will be registered in my name. Can I do this while still on the Tier 2 Visa? I don't think I would then qualify for a Tier 1 entrepenauer visa as I am not investing 200k into the business. Could my company name then possibly sponsor me so I can stay on tier 2?

I am an account manager at the moment. My job is classed as skilled on the standard occupational classificaton and I am earning more than I need to be.

4 - My YMV expires at the end of May. How long would the entire process take roughly and should my employer be looking at getting a COS soon?

Any help would be appreciated as I am losing sleep thinking about this

Alex85
Newly Registered

Post by Alex85 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Would I be better off getting a student Visa for the time being and then switching when i open my office???

wf
Member of Standing

Re: I need help I have lots of Questions

Post by wf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Alex85 wrote:1 - I am on a Youth Mobility Visa and my employer wants to sponsor me under tier 2 general. Will I have to return to Australia and apply for Visa from there?
Yes
Can I apply for Tier 2 Visa before my YMV has expired?
Yes
2 - I am self-employed through this company will my boss have to provide proof that he is paying me a salary? He is willing to bend the rules where he can but obviously does not want either of us to get into trouble.
I'm pretty sure you can't be self emplyed on a Tier 2. He will have to employ you directly.
3 - In about 10 months time I will be opening my own offices as a branch of his but I will be responsible for all of it, the earnings will be mine and it will be registered in my name. Can I do this while still on the Tier 2 Visa?

I don't think I would then qualify for a Tier 1 entrepenauer visa as I am not investing 200k into the business. Could my company name then possibly sponsor me so I can stay on tier 2?

I am an account manager at the moment. My job is classed as skilled on the standard occupational classificaton and I am earning more than I need to be.

4 - My YMV expires at the end of May. How long would the entire process take roughly and should my employer be looking at getting a COS soon?
Rules are changing in April and it is likely to be less of a gamble to obtain a COS, however obtaining the visa may still not be straightforward.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 pm

The rule changes in April are bound to make the system MORE restricted. Less of a gamble getting the CoS? Maybe. Just as likely to actually qualify for a CoS? No.

Unless your job is on the shortage occupation list then I suspect you may be disappointed as it will be a dead end.

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm

The Station Agent wrote:The rule changes in April are bound to make the system MORE restricted. Less of a gamble getting the CoS? Maybe. Just as likely to actually qualify for a CoS? No.

Unless your job is on the shortage occupation list then I suspect you may be disappointed as it will be a dead end.

Not in every case, maybe. For instance, if you apply from inside the country(like, switch from student status), there would be no limit for instance... for those getting graduate jobs with decent salary, say, it could still be ok. This is if you find someone to sponsor you, which is very hard.

In the case of "below degree level jobs", it is a dead end.