ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HCI London & the over 3 year rule for surrender of passp

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Seedy
Newly Registered

HCI London & the over 3 year rule for surrender of passp

Post by Seedy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Okay here goes :)

Submitted my application for a surrender certificate

Timeline is as follows:

British Citizenship obtained in February 2000
Indian Passport expired in January 2004
Never travelled on the Indian Passport after British Citizenship obtained
Applied couple of weeks ago for the surrender certificate.

Sent off all the forms and then got a call from VFS Global that HCI London have applied a £145 charge for not surrendering the passport three years after British Citizenship was obtained.

I then said I dont think I have to pay and he goes yes you do as thats what the Indian Embassay have said. Anyway I disagreed and I am waiting for outcome.

Further to this I checked and behold this letter from the Minister of External Affairs Mr A D Singh.

http://www.gopio.net/news_061510.htm

This means that if Indian passport has expired before 1.1.2005 and passport has not been surrendered for over three years since naturalisation then no penalty is payable.

Most Indian Embassay's around the world are obeying this rule but UK Indian Embassay's does not even know about it, even though the above letter was copied to HCI London!

Here are the links to a few more Indian Embassy's showing penalty not payable

http://www.cgitoronto.ca/Passport/passpSurrender.html

Also CGI Birmingham is showing this as well

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... ages&id=25

What do you guys think my next step would be as the HCI London, Edinburgh sites does not show this about passports expired prior to 2005 - are they just milking the PIO's as usual ???

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Seedy - any progress on your application?

Seedy
Newly Registered

Post by Seedy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Nope - HCI London have not given the paperwork to VFS yet :(

Seedy
Newly Registered

Post by Seedy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 am

Okay everybody good news!!!

Without a reply to my email, I have now received my old indian passport with the surrender certificate enclosed without having to pay the penalty :lol:

I am ashamed to say this but the Indian Embassy in England have no morales and are just after £££'s. Lies and deceit to abstract monies is second nature :(