ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why UK employers are so reluctant to sponsor WP?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rg1
Member of Standing

Why UK employers are so reluctant to sponsor WP?

Post by rg1 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 am

I am currently under WP in UK (thru an Indian IT company).
Recently I started looking for jobs elsewhere. But the main problem is that everyone says "You've wonderful CV but we can't sponsor WP".

In reality, change of WP is much easier than fresh WP application (as the 3-month ad requirement is exempted). Even then they turn down my application just for WP reason.

What make them avoid WP candidates like plague?

On the other hand, large Indian IT companies can bring their people so easily from India....

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:39 am

It depends on your occupation. I am not Indian and not an IT person but I have not had any probs with WP at all - I got it even before finishing my studies. I also had other companies that were willing to make an offer and also apply for WP for me.
The company should feel confident enough that they meet the criteria for WP - there isn't that easy - look into application form and questions there!
Moreover, they have to advertise the vacancy and have a proof of that.
Also, they have to prove that your skills and knowledge are so important for them that there is no one but you can have the skills to do that job for them.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:43 am

But I already told, for change of employers, there is no need to advertise the position for 3-months! If the person does similar job in new company - transfer is usually is quite easy!

PASS

Post by PASS » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:48 am

Assume that

X. British National
Y. EEA national
Z. Non-EEA

If an employer want to sponser 'Z'. It becomes their responsibility to prove or show series of attempts been made to hire X or Y but could not find one. None of the employers want to take that chance,plus it is time consuming process. If you were in that position you won't do it.

Only universities have some endge here in sponsering- because it is easy for them to justify (normally they are top of any specific area of research)

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: Why UK employers are so reluctant to sponsor WP?

Post by bbdivo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:47 pm

rg1 wrote:I am currently under WP in UK (thru an Indian IT company).
Recently I started looking for jobs elsewhere. But the main problem is that everyone says "You've wonderful CV but we can't sponsor WP".

In reality, change of WP is much easier than fresh WP application (as the 3-month ad requirement is exempted). Even then they turn down my application just for WP reason.

What make them avoid WP candidates like plague?

On the other hand, large Indian IT companies can bring their people so easily from India....
Ignorance I would say. I think a lot of employees think it will cost a lot of money, will be a burden on them, etc, etc. I think in situations ike this it is better if you are able to go to them and say it wont cost you much (if anything) and if you're prepared to do all the legwork yourself it will probably help your case. I have a friend who got offered a job, but did not have a WP of any sort. The company had no clue what to do, so this friend of mine said fine, I will sort out the WP, ie the costs and the necessary effort and his prospective employer said fine! They did have to supply bits and pieces of information, but this friend of mine got issued a work permit no problem.

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Why UK employers are so reluctant to sponsor WP?

Post by olisun » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 pm

rg1 wrote: On the other hand, large Indian IT companies can bring their people so easily from India....
because the Indian companies bring their employees on intra company transfer

andhraguy

Post by andhraguy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:22 am

Hi,

Only very few indian IT companies bring their employees on intra company transfer. But these companies want to operate globally hence they know rules of processing visa for different coutries.

On the otherside coming to the companies in UK. One section is consulting companies & the other is end user clients. I don't think cost is a major issue for them( Coz they are already ready to pay you good package for your services). as someone said above , i think it is completely ignorance & laziness of company HR department.

rg1, you are not alone mate :)