ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BOC BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fpoptani
Newly Registered

BOC BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP

Post by fpoptani » Wed May 31, 2006 12:06 pm

Does any one have any experince of registration as a british citizen from a british overseas cititzen. Things like what documents are required and the time it takes for the application to be processed and any other experince you lot might have faced.

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Wed May 31, 2006 12:11 pm

I haven’t experienced this myself, but I am sure you will be able to find information at

www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

…………………….

Anastasia

JAJ
Australia

Re: BOC BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP

Post by JAJ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 am

fpoptani wrote:Does any one have any experince of registration as a british citizen from a british overseas cititzen. Things like what documents are required and the time it takes for the application to be processed and any other experince you lot might have faced.

On what basis are you applying? Is it 5 years residence in the UK (with ILR) or is it on the basis of holding no other nationality? And are you currently in the UK or overseas?

It would be a good idea to look through the Home Office guidelines and come back with any specific questions you have. Processing times are shown on the HO website.

fpoptani
Newly Registered

Post by fpoptani » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:36 am

Want to apply on the basis of no nationality!

fpoptani
Newly Registered

Post by fpoptani » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:37 am

Yes am currently in the UK

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:42 am

fpoptani wrote:Yes am currently in the UK

How long have you lived in the UK and have you got Indefinite Leave to Remain (if so, for how long?)

jaduu
Newly Registered

Post by jaduu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:29 pm

I don't think it matters whether you have ILR - if you havent got ILR or ILE as previous holders of special vouchers used to get, and haven't completed 5 years stay you can still apply.

There is a requirement to show that you haven't got or held another nationality but for people from countries like Kenya the home office knows that it is difficult to get this latter also dual nationality is not permitted in Kenya. Thus, you just need to write a covering note explaining that you could not get the letter and send the application with your passport. It is a simple process and you don' t need any other documents.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:38 pm

jaduu wrote:I don't think it matters whether you have ILR - if you havent got ILR or ILE as previous holders of special vouchers used to get, and haven't completed 5 years stay you can still apply.
There is no requirement to have ILR to apply under the "stateless BOC/BS/BPP" provision of the law, section 4B of the 1981 Act.

However if you have ILR (for 12+ months) and have lived in the UK for 5 years, it's probably going to be simpler to apply for registration as a British citizen on that basis, section 4 of the 1981 Act.

Plus, section 4 registration gives British citizenship "otherwise than by descent" while 4B registration is "by descent".

fpoptani
Newly Registered

Post by fpoptani » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:21 pm

No have been in the UK for ess than a year and am on a student Visa, though i have just got a work permit.