ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any difference between public and private sector?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thling06
Newly Registered

Any difference between public and private sector?

Post by thling06 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi ,

I have been working in the NHS for 1.5 years now and my manager is willing to sponser me a Tier 2 visa. I meet all requirements except for salary at £18k p.a. Which is only £2k away! I am currently holding a PSW. This visa is 10 months away or expiring.

Does UKBA take into consideration if you are working within public sector and salary points will be changed to reflect this? I am always lead to believe public sector pays are relatively lower than private sector?

Ta

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 pm

No. The NHS is the largest employer in the UK, so in a way their rates are the market rates for many post such as nursing, biomedical scientist and so on. It has already been taken in to account by the MAC.

What job do you have?

thling06
Newly Registered

Public sector

Post by thling06 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi,

I am an assistant capital accountant. Just feeling slightly fustrated that I am that close and yet so far. Is there anything I could be missing?

Education:- Master
Work for employer:- 1.5 years and counting
Pay:- £18kp.a

Thanks for the advice.

thling06
Newly Registered

Future expected earnings

Post by thling06 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi,

Can comeone please advise? Would it be wrong that if my company were to write that they do expect me to earn £20k in the future but currently I am working at £18k? Must I have a salary of £20k at the point of my application? How does that work?

Ta

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Re: Future expected earnings

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:10 pm

thling06 wrote:Hi,

Can comeone please advise? Would it be wrong that if my company were to write that they do expect me to earn £20k in the future but currently I am working at £18k? Must I have a salary of £20k at the point of my application? How does that work?

Ta
when applying for COS your employer must give START date of your (new) job.

You should be on a 20k package after that starting date or else you/your employer will fall foul of the visa terms and conditions.

By the way, have you looked into the "code of practice". How much "assistant capital accountant" should be earning according to the code.

cheers

thling06
Newly Registered

Public Sector

Post by thling06 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi,

I do meet the criterias as laid out in code of practise. At my level, I should be earning about £10k. So way above the threshold. Does this help with my application?

fibreman

Re: Public Sector

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:50 pm

I do meet the criterias as laid out in code of practise. At my level, I should be earning about £10k. So way above the threshold. Does this help with my application?
I am shocked you work for such a low salary!... I am not sure that the code would help you... There is no harm in using all the info you have. I am not sure, but as long as you are below, I think it might not work.

I would not accept even a graduate scheme below say 25k or so. Maybe a tad less out of London, but still.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Re: Public Sector

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

how many hours you are working in a week?

cheers

thling06
Newly Registered

low paid

Post by thling06 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Arsenal,

I would agree with you it is badly paid for the amount of work that I need to do. Thus my query at the top. Becuase NHS have a 'banding' system, different areas of UK, would have different payscales. For example, I am in scotland, my pay is £18k. However, in England at the same band scale, I will be given an extra £5k! In London naturally would be much more higher.

Also, with all these auterity budget, there will be some organisational change which (I hope) will be in my favour. Thus asking it is alright at the timeof application I am not at a £20k but only at a later date.

I guess I never moved from my job cause I really do love it and the support for my professional study is really high in comparison to private.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

someone has just posted in another thread that COS was only issued in Feb to those who will be earning 32k (shortage occupation) and 36k (normal)

i dont know what to advise you.. im shocked myself over this limit

cheers

thling06
Newly Registered

UKBA

Post by thling06 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Arsenal,

I work 37.5 a week. Anything over, I am allowed days off :). So I do not get any overtime.

I agree with you. At this moment I do not understand anything about Tier 2.

fibreman

Re: UKBA

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

thling06 wrote:Hi Arsenal,

I work 37.5 a week. Anything over, I am allowed days off :). So I do not get any overtime.

I agree with you. At this moment I do not understand anything about Tier 2.
Ah, so you are in Scotland... but it is still small money for full time work.

You said u have months on psw still, right? Maybe wait after april. It says apps in country would not be subject to any limits. With the limits for cos now, you stand zero chance of getting anything(rationed by salary as arsenal posted). In the meantime, try to get to 20k somehow...