ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British wife now pregnant, what benefits are we entitled to?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

britishwifeghanahusband
Newly Registered

British wife now pregnant, what benefits are we entitled to?

Post by britishwifeghanahusband » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I am a British citizen aged 26 married to a Ghanaian national now living with me in the UK on a 2 year spouse visa.

My husbands visa says 'no recourse to public funds', but I am leaving work and will be taking a significant cut in pay down to statutory maternity pay from full time good pay, so need to know whether I can claim tax credits and child benefit without my husband being on the application???

On the UKBA website it says he cannot claim tax credits, JSA, child benefit etc, but does that stop me as a British citizen for applying for them too because the tax credit form says if you are married you must claim as a couple??

I am so confused and worried about our finances, just want some real advice as the guy on the tax credit helpline said he thought my hubby could apply as joint applicant, but the UKBA says otherwise!!!

Can anyone shed some light on this or know anywhere I can contact for advice?

thanks!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... blicfunds/

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:19 am

I am in a similar situation. I would be interested in the same info.
In my case, I am the British husband, my wife is from the United States.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:57 am

To both of you, why do you think you are different to others in the same situation? This subject is covered at length and in detail in this Claiming Benefits section of this board.

The topic called ...... Benefits : affecting ILR? Read this b4 starting new topic. .... is well worth a read, and will give you the confirmation you seek.
John