ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Malaysian-French baby - citizenship question

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sze
Newly Registered

Malaysian-French baby - citizenship question

Post by Sze » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am

Hello,

I'm Malaysian and my husband is French. Our son's birth certificate (he was born in Hungary) states that he is French, and he has a French passport.

I've been in touch with the Malaysian embassy here, and according to them, I can now apply for Malaysian citizenship. Does this translate into a Malaysian passport, or simply some kind of PR/right of abode in Malaysia since the child's mother is Malaysian?

Since the rules have changed as of 1 June 2010 (before this a Malaysian woman abroad did NOT have the right to give her child citizenship; the child had to take his father's), the embassy is uncertain about the outcome.

Can anyone who has gone through the process shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Sze

Sze
Newly Registered

Update

Post by Sze » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm

No one on the same boat as me then!

FYI, found this from the M'sian High Commission in the UK - http://jimlondon.net/kon-birth.html - the last row is the one of note.