ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed regarding ESOL

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imranh

Help needed regarding ESOL

Post by imranh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi

Can anyone please help me with providing information regarding ESOL Tests?

I have been looking around on the net for good info but I cant find anything helpful. Basically my wife is Pakistani and is here on a settlement visa - in 2 years time she will apply for ILR.

Now What I am looking for is

1) useful websites providing ESOL info
2) what levels of English is required? what are the topics involved?
3) any ESOL books to help pass
4) any useful tips/hints to pass

I apologise profusely if this information is already available on this forum its just that I have looked and looked and found nothing anywhere which will help anwer my questions above.

I hope someone can help. It will much appreciated.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Your best option may be to contact your local Adult Education Centre as these generally provide approved ESOL courses.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 pm

imranh, the context of your question is clearly ILR, and getting that for your wife. So it has to be said that merely getting some sort of ESOL rating of her English ability is not going to assist at all.

She will need to supply either a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.

Can I ask, how is her English language ability at the moment? Knowing that might assist in saying of the two alternatives is best for her.
John

imranh

Post by imranh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

John wrote:imranh, the context of your question is clearly ILR, and getting that for your wife. So it has to be said that merely getting some sort of ESOL rating of her English ability is not going to assist at all.

She will need to supply either a pass certificate from the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.

Can I ask, how is her English language ability at the moment? Knowing that might assist in saying of the two alternatives is best for her.
thanks for your help.she is just learning english so it is very vey basic and very poor at the moment.
how good does her english have to be??
how do i get more info regarding the Life in the UK Citizenship test/ESOL???

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am

imranh wrote:she is just learning english so it is very vey basic and very poor at the moment.
She will need to pass ESOL course in English with citizenship to apply for settlement.
See also English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)

regards

imranh

Post by imranh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
imranh wrote:she is just learning english so it is very vey basic and very poor at the moment.
She will need to pass ESOL course in English with citizenship to apply for settlement.
See also English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)

regards
Thanks for your post. very helpful. now does this mean that my wife will need to study ESOL entry level 1 with citizenship??

whats skills for life course?? does she have to study for that aswell?

im sorry for the constant questions as im getting confused now :?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm

does this mean that my wife will need to study ESOL entry level 1 with citizenship??
Not quite. It means that in order to get the needed completion certificate there must be Citizenship content of the course, and as regards ESOL she needs to make progress.

For example, if she is currently at ESOL Entry Level 1, she will need to show progress to ESOL Entry Level 2. In order to measure whether progress has been made, she will be tested at the beginning and at the end of the course.
John

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:14 pm

As this takes time to complete it would be advisable to find a course for her as soon as possible.

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 pm

John wrote:
does this mean that my wife will need to study ESOL entry level 1 with citizenship??
Not quite. It means that in order to get the needed completion certificate there must be Citizenship content of the course, and as regards ESOL she needs to make progress.

For example, if she is currently at ESOL Entry Level 1, she will need to show progress to ESOL Entry Level 2. In order to measure whether progress has been made, she will be tested at the beginning and at the end of the course.
Thanks for the reply.

ok if i understand you - my wife will start a course at ESOL Entry Level 1 so over the next couple of years before she applies for ILR then:

1) if she has progressed to either Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3 then that should be ok??

2) she needs to complete a citizenship course. are there any examiniations involved?

what about the skills for life course (KSOL)?? will she need to do that?

imranh

Post by imranh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Casa wrote:As this takes time to complete it would be advisable to find a course for her as soon as possible.
I will try to - but I think I need to fully understand the correct courses she needs to attend.

How long do the courses take?? my wife only came in the UK in December

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 pm

ok if i understand you - my wife will start a course at ESOL Entry Level 1 so over the next couple of years before she applies for ILR then:

1) if she has progressed to either Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3 then that should be ok??

2) she needs to complete a citizenship course. are there any examiniations involved?

what about the skills for life course (KSOL)?? will she need to do that?
That is not what I posted at all. Please reread my post above yesterday at 4.01.pm (UK time).
John