ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Re: ilr

Post by Eastender14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 am

joh118 wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:Hi guys,

I just came home and found my prepaid envelope with my passport duly stamped with ILR. I applied under the 10 yr rule as follows:

Date applied: 7/12/2010
Ack recd: 13/12/2010 (dated 8/12/10)
ILR rec: 03/02/2011 (Stamped 1/2/2011, PEO Liverpool)
Time taken:7 weeks
10 year: 5.5 student and 4.5 WP

I had a gap of 20 days as i was late in sending my application. Leave was till 31 March, i sent my application on 20 april but i suppose the case worker used his discretion. I was also refused leave as i worked more than 20 hrs as a student , which i won on appeal as i was unaware of this rule in my defence.

I wish you all the best and hope that you receive a positive response soon.

Take care :) :o :D :lol: :twisted:
Wow congrats! I wish I will be as lucky as you! You must have had the shortest wait time under this category! The UKBA are really improving things....(pleasant suprise)

Did you use a solicitor? Also I believe as you would have almost qualified for ILR under 5 year WP anyway, discretion came in your favour.

Enjoy your freedom!

Thanks. I did not use a solicitor as I've been told they only add a covering letter and the SET O form is straightforward. I did not wait for the 5 yr as the 10 yr rule is earlier and under the former, I would have been caught by Labour new probationary rule in July (which is being ruled out by the Tories anyway or caught by new rules due in April this year).

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:13 am

sunmoon wrote:

I just came home and found my prepaid envelope with my passport duly stamped with ILR. I applied under the 10 yr rule as follows:

I had a gap of 20 days as i was late in sending my application. Leave was till 31 March, i sent my application on 20 april but i suppose the case worker used his discretion. I was also refused leave as i worked more than 20 hrs as a student , which i won on appeal as i was unaware of this rule in my defence.

Seems me you are misguiding the forum. How its possible ? As per guideline the caseworkers use their discretion if there is a gap of up to 10 days, and also you had in breach of the student visa condition by working more than 20 hours/week. So its unbelievable.
I'm sharing my journey to ilr with others. I'm not here to convince anyone or make false representation of facts.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am

Eastender14 wrote:
joh118 wrote:

Wow congrats! I wish I will be as lucky as you! You must have had the shortest wait time under this category! The UKBA are really improving things....(pleasant suprise)

Did you use a solicitor? Also I believe as you would have almost qualified for ILR under 5 year WP anyway, discretion came in your favour.

Enjoy your freedom!

Thanks. I did not use a solicitor as I've been told they only add a covering letter and the SET O form is straightforward. I did not wait for the 5 yr as the 10 yr rule is earlier and under the former, I would have been caught by Labour new probationary rule in July (which is being ruled out by the Tories anyway or caught by new rules due in April this year).
the probationary citizenship programme has been cancelled ever since the tories got into power....

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

Seems me you are misguiding the forum. How its possible ? As per guideline the caseworkers use their discretion if there is a gap of up to 10 days, and also you had in breach of the student visa condition by working more than 20 hours/week. So its unbelievable.
I'm sharing my journey to ilr with others. I'm not here to convince anyone or make false representation of facts.
the forum didn't see any post from you before your ILR news, people normally come and get help from the forum before the problem not when the problem is over... doesn't make sense!

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:31 pm

sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

the forum didn't see any post from you before your ILR news, people normally come and get help from the forum before the problem not when the problem is over... doesn't make sense!
Oh..is there a rule that says i must join before? I read Noway Out and Kiwi girl posts among others since early 2010. Hence I was well versed in the requirement and did not see the need to join. My post is for those who are open minded and have common sense and serve to inform members about lead time and case issues.

lumera
- thin ice -

Post by lumera » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Oh..is there a rule that says i must join before? I read Noway Out and Kiwi girl posts among others since early 2010. Hence I was well versed in the requirement and did not see the need to join. My post is for those who are open minded and have common sense and serve to inform members about lead time and case issues.
Congratulations and many thanks for keeping hope alive and being such an encouragement to others by sharing your story. We must accept that some people are highly favoured than some others. You're one of the exceptional cases ans should consider yourself lucky!

abdu
Newly Registered

Post by abdu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Many Congratulations!!! and thanks for sharing. Surprised on your shortest waiting time compared to others. I hope UKBA improves application process time further.

Enjoy your visa free life now :)

regards

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Do you know why some of the 10 yrs based application takes too long to get the result ? Because most of them have either gaps or any kind of offence or breach of visa condition like your application (don't be offended its just an example). Application without such kind of issues normally take 12/13 weeks although recently time line is a bit less but still I didn't see in this forum any one got it in less then 8 weeks even though they don't have any issues, but you have two issues and you got your ILR with in the shortest time (!!!) then you must be a magician or I don't know ......
Last edited by sunmoon on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:38 pm

sunmoon wrote: Do you know why some of the 10 yrs based application take too long to get the result ? Because most of them have either gaps or any kind of offence or breach of visa condition like your application (don't be offended its just an example). Application without such kinds of issue normally take 12/13 weeks although recently time line is a bit less but still I didn't see in this forum any one got it in less then 8 weeks even though they don't have any issue, but you have two issues and you got your ILR with in the shortest time (!!!) then you must be a magician or I don't know ......
Look, it's your decision whether or not to believe or not. We are all entitled to our own views. I've expressed mine, you've expressed it once already, let's cool it.

internev29a
Newly Registered

Post by internev29a » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for pointing that out sunmoon. I agree with you 100%, defo misleading info there.

santosh386
Newly Registered

Post by santosh386 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 am

sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
Do you know why some of the 10 yrs based application takes too long to get the result ? Because most of them have either gaps or any kind of offence or breach of visa condition like your application (don't be offended its just an example). Application without such kind of issues normally take 12/13 weeks although recently time line is a bit less but still I didn't see in this forum any one got it in less then 8 weeks even though they don't have any issues, but you have two issues and you got your ILR with in the shortest time (!!!) then you must be a magician or I don't know ......
Whats your problem sunmoon????? Dont act too smart as if you know everything. If that guy said its done then its done. No one here is paying for legal advice and its a forum and people have different experiences you believe it or not. You even acted smart when i posted my visa experience here. Things necessarily dont go according to the RULES BOOK you seem to talk about all the time. I have seen many such incidents @ HO happen which are not in the RULES BOOK. Just because you didnt knew about that doesnt make everyone else a liar.

Sorry if I was rude but this matter had to end somewhere.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 am

santosh386 wrote: Do you know why some of the 10 yrs based application takes too long to get the result ? Because most of them have either gaps or any kind of offence or breach of visa condition like your application (don't be offended its just an example). Application without such kind of issues normally take 12/13 weeks although recently time line is a bit less but still I didn't see in this forum any one got it in less then 8 weeks even though they don't have any issues, but you have two issues and you got your ILR with in the shortest time (!!!) then you must be a magician or I don't know ......
Whats your problem sunmoon????? Dont act too smart as if you know everything. If that guy said its done then its done. No one here is paying for legal advice and its a forum and people have different experiences you believe it or not. You even acted smart when i posted my visa experience here. Things necessarily dont go according to the RULES BOOK you seem to talk about all the time. I have seen many such incidents @ HO happen which are not in the RULES BOOK. Just because you didnt knew about that doesnt make everyone else a liar.

Sorry if I was rude but this matter had to end somewhere.[/quote]

@ santosh.. the forum is not to misguide people. I only comment on your post that the caseworker might have done a mistake that bring you luck, which is entirely true, because its not very long that HO excludes dependent from 10 yrs category. I don't know what your solicitor (Best in the UK) can do on the SET(O) for 10 years category, as this form is very simple nothing complicated. If there are some hidden techniques on it then not only your solicitor but also lots of other should know and should have done it. Your solicitor might have success with dependent before the rule have changed and he might also not aware of the change. So please agree with the HO guidance. Otherwise I have to say you are searching clients for a solicitor or for yourself.

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 am

sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your response As a professional myself, I do have a sense of scepticism when a matter seem somehow a bit unrealistic. However I reiterate my point that I am not misleading the forum. I believe one of the reasons why the decision may have swing in my favour is that over the last 10 years I have paid taxes in excess of £40k and I have never claimed any benefit. Hence on the balance of probabilities I have a made a positive contribution to the country. How would you have dealt with my case if you were the case worker, bearing in mind you seemed well versed in case issues?

Further, i can provide evidence to a senior moderator if required to prove the facts are true.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Eastender14 wrote:
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your response As a professional myself, I do have a sense of scepticism when a matter seem somehow a bit unrealistic. However I reiterate my point that I am not misleading the forum. I believe one of the reasons why the decision may have swing in my favour is that over the last 10 years I have paid taxes in excess of £40k and I have never claimed any benefit. Hence on the balance of probabilities I have a made a positive contribution to the country. How would you have dealt with my case if you were the case worker, bearing in mind you seemed well versed in case issues?

Further, i can provide evidence to a senior moderator if required to prove the facts are true.
Don't mind but in this forum we r sharing experiences as well as discussing about that which is helpful for future applicants, that was the only intention of my first response to your post. Would you mind if I argue again ??

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm

sunmoon wrote:
Eastender14 wrote:
Dear Friend,

Don't mind but in this forum we r sharing experiences as well as discussing about that which is helpful for future applicants, that was the only intention of my first response to your post. Would you mind if I argue again ??
let's stop right there...if you guys want to continue this argument, please do so via PM, not here.

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Don't mind but in this forum we r sharing experiences as well as discussing about that which is helpful for future applicants, that was the only intention of my first response to your post. Would you mind if I argue again ??[/quote]

You would be more helpful in asking ppl how and what documentation they submit instead of casting doubts.End of

Kam348

Letter + Documents received today without passport

Post by Kam348 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Hello everyone .............
I received letter stating decision has been made on my application and I will receive notification/ passport in coming days.
Supporting documents returned by 2nd class post.
Desperate wait for passport continues ...... even though I posted pre-paid special delivery envelope. ....
But it is encouraging that mine is 2nd case on this forum which has been decided with in 5 weeks .....
I hope will be a good news to share with you guys in next few days
watch for the space for the outcome ......
Thanks
Kam
Form SET(O). 10 yrs long residence category
Posted: 5th Jan 2011
ILR/Passport received = 12th feb
MN1 application via NCS = 2nd March 2011
Ack letter = ?
Citizenship cert = ?

joh118

Re: Letter + Documents received today without passport

Post by joh118 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Kam348 wrote:Hello everyone .............
I received letter stating decision has been made on my application and I will receive notification/ passport in coming days.
Desperate wait for passport continues ...... even though I posted pre-paid special delivery envelope. ....
But it is encouraging that mine is 2nd case on this forum which has been decided with in 5 weeks .....
Thanks
Kam
I'm sure it'll be good news! :D freedom is near! Was your application straightforward? ie no gaps? did you use a solicitor?
I have to say, for the first time in many years, I am impressed by UKBA at the speed that they are making decisions. Especially when the government is cutting public jobs etc... It is a much needed improvement from the common 6 month waiting times not so long ago.
I am now waiting 3.5 weeks but I have a complicated case so I am expecting it to take longer.

Do tell us the good news when it comes!

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Re: Letter + Documents received today without passport

Post by Eastender14 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Kam348 wrote:Hello everyone .............
Thanks
Kam
Congrats...
This shows that there is definitely an improvement in the service.

jaymbauk
Newly Registered

Post by jaymbauk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm

one good news from me aswell

10 years long residence indefinite leave

applied on 11 jan
money deducted on 12 jan
ack letter received on 14th dated on 12th

ILR received on 14-02-2011(valentines day)
stamped on 9th feb at liverpool

its exactly 5 weeks
all the best for all who is awaiting for there results

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:52 pm

jaymbauk wrote:one good news from me aswell

10 years long residence indefinite leave

applied on 11 jan
money deducted on 12 jan
ack letter received on 14th dated on 12th

ILR received on 14-02-2011(valentines day)
stamped on 9th feb at liverpool

its exactly 5 weeks
all the best for all who is awaiting for there results
Congrats!! I think the UKBA must have a crush on you!! Valentines day!

was your case straightforward?

jaymbauk
Newly Registered

Post by jaymbauk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 pm

YES ITS STRAIGHT FORWARD

NO GAPS AT ALL

Kam348

ILR received on 12th Feb

Post by Kam348 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi all ....... Stressful wait finished on good note. passport received on 12th Feb with ILR stamped on 9th Feb. God has blessed me with cute daughter on 12th too ..... So she brought goodluck for me .... and become eligible to apply for British passport directly.
My case was straightforward, no gaps, uk master degree, well paid council job, no gaps, no solicitor, no absences....
All the best for all in waiting.
Kam
Form SET(O). 10 yrs long residence category
Posted: 5th Jan 2011
ILR/Passport received = 12th feb
MN1 application via NCS = 2nd March 2011
Ack letter = ?
Citizenship cert = ?

joh118

Re: ILR received on 12th Feb

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Kam348 wrote:Hi all ....... Stressful wait finished on good note. passport received on 12th Feb with ILR stamped on 9th Feb. God has blessed me with cute daughter on 12th too ..... So she brought goodluck for me .... and become eligible to apply for British passport directly.
My case was straightforward, no gaps, uk master degree, well paid council job, no gaps, no solicitor, no absences....
All the best for all in waiting.
Kam
Congrats! I told you there will be good news! enjoy your freedom!

lucy lee
Newly Registered

ILR Application

Post by lucy lee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 pm

I first came to the UK on 15th December 2000 under a 3 year student visa. I continued to study and successfully renew my visa under student visa until I finished university in February 2008 after which I applied for visa extention under IGS which was successfully granted until June 2009. On 8th June 2009 I appled for extention under the Post Study work visa and my application was refused on June 26th 2009 because I did not have sufficient funds in support of my application.
I appealed the decision and my appeal was refused. I appealed again and this appeal was also refused and deemed out of time by 3 days. I made a further appeal to the high court and also submitted a fresh Tier 1 application at the same time. My application was returned as not valid because I had an appeal at the high court. I then went to see a lawyer who advised me to withdraw my appeal and submit another application. I contacted the high court who informed me it was too late to withdraw my appeal as it was already with a judge. A decision was reached on my appeal and again it was refused and also deemed out of time. I then with the help of a lawyer submitted a fresh application under Tier 1 which was granted for a year from March 2010 until March 2011 as I had already been previously granted a year under IGS.
As my visa is about to expire in March 2011, I would like to make an application for settlement (long residence) using Form Set O having been in the UK for just over 10 years now.

I wanted to confirm that if I qualify to do so and if it is a straight forward application or there are underlying issues I need to consider/address before I send my application. On both occasions that my appeal was delayed,it has been under 10 days and was because of my previous solicitor.

The form does not request that I send any additional information apart from my passport. and a document showing I passed the Life in the UK test.I plan on including a letter explaining the delays in my appeals but would like some advice on what other documents I should include with my application.

Many thanks for all advice I will recieve.