ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Overseas citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

keikeichris

British Overseas citizen

Post by keikeichris » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi there,
I am currently holding a British National Overseas Passport and have work and study in england under different Tier (currently PSW). And from this website I discover that I can apply for British Passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174145

I want to know if this is true that I can apply for neaturalisation,as my current PSW is due to expire soon. Many thanks and Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you again

Chris

SSEF

Re: British Overseas citizen

Post by SSEF » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 am

keikeichris wrote:Hi there,
I am currently holding a British National Overseas Passport and have work and study in england under different Tier (currently PSW). And from this website I discover that I can apply for British Passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174145

I want to know if this is true that I can apply for neaturalisation,as my current PSW is due to expire soon. Many thanks and Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you again

Chris
Only the minority of the BN(O) that hold no other nationality can register to become British Citizens.

but it does say here:

British Nationals (Overseas) can register as full British citizens (rather than having to apply for naturalisation) under section 4 of the British Nationality Act 1981, after living in the United Kingdom for five years; the last year of which must have been without any immigration restrictions (such as by holding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or its equivalent). Section 4 registration confers British citizenships otherwise than by descent and hence children born subsequently outside the United Kingdom will normally have access to British citizenship.

^ Within the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 BN(O)'s may register as British citizens provided they held no other nationalities or citizenships on 19 March 2009