ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen married to Czech, moving to CZ, WHAT TO DO!?!?!?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Frankiep
Newly Registered

US citizen married to Czech, moving to CZ, WHAT TO DO!?!?!?

Post by Frankiep » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi to all,

I am an US citizen married to a Czech citizen. My wife and I lived in the UK for a few years already and she moved late last year to give birth to our daughter while I stayed at my job so I could support the family until my wife give birth. The plan was for her to move back with the babies, but that may not be possible in the near future so now we are looking at the requirements of me moving there. They just changed the immigration rules and after reading lots of websites I am still not clear on what to do. From what I read, all the information mentions EU members moving there to work or live and their families or Non-EU members moving or working in the CZ. Are the rules the same for a Czech national living there wanting her partner to move there? Also since she just gave birth, she is still taking care of the newborn. Since I can't get a job (not 100% sure about this) until I get the CZ visa as a family member, I won't have a job immediately, I am also learning the language which will make it more difficult to find a job. The plan is for her to find a job, me take care of our babies, until I can find a job there and we swap responsibilities again. PLEASE HELP!!!!!, all this talk about different insurance requirements, blue card, going to the Ministry of Interior offices is driving me crazy. All I want is to join my wife and our daughters. She moving back to UK is not an option in the near future and me staying here in the UK also is not an option. HELP!!!!!

UPDATE: this is what we were going to do, but I am not sure if it is possible with the changes that were implemented on Jan/2011.

Third-country nationals – family members of citizens of
the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein,
who accompany or join a citizen of the EU or any of the countries
stated above, may stay in the Czech Republic (or on the territory of
another Schengen state, Switzerland or Liechtenstein) for up to
3 months without a visa provided they are in possession of a valid
passport.
When staying with a citizen of the EU or of the countries stated and
the duration of the intended stay exceeds 3 months, they are obliged
to apply for a temporary residence permit within a three-month
period from the date of entry into the Czech Republic – this permit
will be granted by means of a residence card of a family member of
an EU citizen.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: US citizen married to Czech, moving to CZ, WHAT TO DO!?!

Post by 86ti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Frankiep wrote:Are the rules the same for a Czech national living there wanting her partner to move there?
Yes and no. No, if she had never been exercising here treaty rights. Since she is (was) living in the UK she obviously does/did. A returning citizen can make use of the Eind ruling of the European Court of Justice. Question is if the Czech have adapted their laws and if so, what conditions and restrictions would apply.

SSEF

Re: US citizen married to Czech, moving to CZ, WHAT TO DO!?!

Post by SSEF » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:53 am

Frankiep wrote:Hi to all,

I am an US citizen married to a Czech citizen. My wife and I lived in the UK for a few years already and she moved late last year to give birth to our daughter while I stayed at my job so I could support the family until my wife give birth. The plan was for her to move back with the babies, but that may not be possible in the near future so now we are looking at the requirements of me moving there. They just changed the immigration rules and after reading lots of websites I am still not clear on what to do. From what I read, all the information mentions EU members moving there to work or live and their families or Non-EU members moving or working in the CZ. Are the rules the same for a Czech national living there wanting her partner to move there? Also since she just gave birth, she is still taking care of the newborn. Since I can't get a job (not 100% sure about this) until I get the CZ visa as a family member, I won't have a job immediately, I am also learning the language which will make it more difficult to find a job. The plan is for her to find a job, me take care of our babies, until I can find a job there and we swap responsibilities again. PLEASE HELP!!!!!, all this talk about different insurance requirements, blue card, going to the Ministry of Interior offices is driving me crazy. All I want is to join my wife and our daughters. She moving back to UK is not an option in the near future and me staying here in the UK also is not an option. HELP!!!!!

UPDATE: this is what we were going to do, but I am not sure if it is possible with the changes that were implemented on Jan/2011.

Third-country nationals – family members of citizens of
the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein,
who accompany or join a citizen of the EU or any of the countries
stated above, may stay in the Czech Republic (or on the territory of
another Schengen state, Switzerland or Liechtenstein) for up to
3 months without a visa provided they are in possession of a valid
passport.
When staying with a citizen of the EU or of the countries stated and
the duration of the intended stay exceeds 3 months, they are obliged
to apply for a temporary residence permit within a three-month
period from the date of entry into the Czech Republic – this permit
will be granted by means of a residence card of a family member of
an EU citizen.
Ive spent quite a bit of time in CZ over the last 11 years and there are plenty of ex-pats making a good living out of teaching English..my advice would be to complete a teaching course, TEFL is okay, but would advise possibly ESOL CELTA the costs vary, but its something to think about.

Do a bit of research and find out what private lang schools are operating near to where you plan to move.

Also be very very aware that its no longer a cheap place to live and wages are still pretty low in comparison to the UK (plus the change rate is pants now) and put it this way, Poles used to go over the border to buy things, now Czechs and Slovaks are going to Poland to do their weekly shop!

Any way good luck its a beatiful country and the people are for the most part really friendly.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Frankiep,

When did you live in the UK with your wife? Was she working in the UK and were you married at that point?