ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Tanx BadPaul for the contact info, will contact them. Meanwhile anyone willing to donate should signify on the new thread i will create for donors.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

BadPaul

Post by BadPaul » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Papafaith,

Please post the link for the „willingness to donate „thread once you create it.

We should then circulate this link to all those who are affected by this change and see how many are willing to donate.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 pm

BadPaul wrote:I have the feeling the HO knows what they've done is not right, as many immigration bodies / firms have raised the objections on the retrospective application of the new 5 years rule.

It seems to me they were / are counting on us keeping quiet and complete the extra year without making too much noise.

This is where I want to prove them wrong ! It's a matter of principles more than anything else for me and perhaps for all of you. I might complete the extra year before we are successful in our attempt to change the current 5 years rule, but I still want to go ahead and take them to court.
It is a problem of principle for me too. Also the other thing we may think about is that if we win the case in the end, the time we spend after 4 years should be counted to get citizenship... meanwhile court action provides a platform for all support and sympathy from MPs...

BadPaul

Post by BadPaul » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm

good point about citizenship supertiger !

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm

BadPaul, i have created the thread.

BadPaul

Post by BadPaul » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks Papafaith, I have seen it !

There are already 9 people willing to donate.

I will send the link to the thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=8265

to all people I know which are affected by the 5 year rule.

Let's all do the same and get more people on that list !

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm willing to entertain the idea of being a test case for this, but there are some limitations to my being the guinea pig. Firstly, I have an Ancestry visa, so it may not create the same precedent for WP/HSMP holders. Secondly, I cannot apply for ILR until this time next year, so people might not wish to wait for me.

However, I do have that letter personally signed by Charles Clarke saying specifically that the provisions of my visa will not change and that I can apply for ILR after completing my current visa.

What we need is someone like me who is finishing up his or her current stay in the next few days/weeks/months. Any takers? If not, I'll be ready to give it a go in June 2007.
Last edited by RobinLondon on Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Emmmmmmmmm :roll:

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:47 pm

my name tops the list. feel so happy. Papafaith, thanks.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:48 pm

You are welcome Nonothing.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:29 pm

I think we can no problem gain enough money to get the case started, once started there'll be easily more people joining in. The main thing is to get a reputable law firm who's willing to take teh case and decide which is the best structure to go with, then work out a reasonable timeline to manage time and resources... legal action is a real solution, we are all civilised people let's do it in the civilised way... VBSI has been doing well in organising the campaign so far, I think they can continue to take the leadership... can NN feedback what VBSI think of this?

As activists, we may need to prepare to donate more than 100 if needed, the first step is the most difficult, once we set up the case things will be getting easier. Just think how much more opportunity cost we have to spend if we don;t go to court? 5000 more for tuition etc... extra stress, and the way we are treated... anyway we need detailed plan now.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:16 pm

i've forwarded the whole conversation here to VBSI members. but my email account isn't working well at the moment. however VBSI is well aware of current voice for the legal action.

to reply Timefactor's early post "Can't VBSI turn into a registered organisation", VBSI did discussed the possibility seriously several times and also checked with some legislations. but it seems not all that easy for VBSI's part-timers. VBSI is doing the fundamental work for a real organisation representing all our immigrants. but VBSI is not the organisation just yet. therefore, there're still quite a lot of things to do for VBSI, if it wants to take the lead of a legal action.

but as far as i'm aware, VBSI never gives up on the possibility of the legal action. instead all the VBSI's members agree that the ultimate legal action might be the final resort for our request to overturn the changes.

garichd

Post by garichd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:49 pm

just a thougt

Does any body remember the Sham marriage case.

HO did loose that case.
we should also contact that law firm as they will have experince fighting against HO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4894544.stm
Last edited by garichd on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garichd

Post by garichd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:59 pm

We need to create awareness so that we can get as many donations.

There are several ways.

1) Chain Mail.
2) Distributing Brochures (mainly in London, Reading, Slough)
3) Contacting/Making announcements at community centres (like Chinese community centres / Indian community centres). I will try to make announcements in reading Hindu temple.

Any other ideas … ?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 pm

To increase the awareness I suggest:
TNT magazine can be used to send the message out there; the immigration advisors offering HSMP and WP services on TNT can send also leaflets/letters to their customers......
Newspapers from immigrant communities, we can have articles there.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:22 am

News update from VBSI website: www.vbsi.org.uk

01/06/2006
Will you take part in a London Demonstration? A demonstration is believed to benefit both lobbying and legal action. Please help us to plan our demonstration! Please take VBSI's latest poll to show if you can join us and when you think is the suitable date.
http://www.vbsi.org.uk

VBSI will set up a poll for legal action soon.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Re: I will contribute £500

Post by timefactor » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:13 pm

i'm in the same boat

a. I pays 5.5% variable rate interest on mortgate. On WP it is a big risk to tied up to a fixed term mortgage
b. I cannot take up contracting jobs where i can earn 6-7 times more what i'm earning now
c. I've left behind my parents (aged 65) back home, which is the biggest concern and i'm only son for them

My ILR was due on end of sept. 06 and with that in mind i've sold/cleared up/moved all assets owned in backhome.

What left behind is parents living in a rented home in india fully depends on me

:(
try-one wrote:Hi;
My ILR was intended for Nov 06; so I can't present my case now; I'm happy to put £500 forward to support a legal case now that can unblock the situation NOW.
My daughter will be born in Dec 06 as a foreign national; If I get ILR she will be british from day one; I was planning to start a Masters Degree this year....it will cost me £5,000 LESS if I have ILR; My mortgage renewall is next year....from 5.7% (for being a foreign national ) to far less.....So I'm loosing a lot of money with this retrospective change.

nonothing

Demonstration on Friday 16/06

Post by nonothing » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:08 am

Demonstration on Friday 16/06
10.00am to 19.00pm, in fornt of the parlianment

-On the day Andrew Dismore MP will hand 1700 petitions to the parliament.
-On the day the medias will discover how unfair the retrospective changes are.
-On the day WE LET OUR VOICES HEARD BY THE COUNTRY!

Please join the action!
VBSI is asking you:

-Send email to info@vbsi.org.uk to confirm your presence.
-Tell VBSI how you could help in the demonstration.
-Send your slogans.
-Send your design of slogans and banners.
-Most importantly DO COME AND JOIN US ON 16/06.

The demonstration will be completely legal and approved by Police. You do not have to stay for the whole day, come when it is most convenient. However, the first half of the day (till about 3pm) is most important.
Last edited by nonothing on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:34 am

Hi,
I'm happy to attend...please confirm we have authorization from the Police to be there; there is a new law and no demonstration is allowed there without permission.
thanks
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:56 am

try-one wrote:Hi,
I'm happy to attend...please confirm we have authorization from the Police to be there; there is a new law and no demonstration is allowed there without permission.
thanks
CL team will apply the police permission so don't worry about that.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:57 am

VBSI and CL need to work out a rough figure of the participants and then CL will send an application in at least a week before the demonstration.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:38 am

i'll attend from 12 noon till 2 PM

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:26 pm

RobinLondon wrote:I'm willing to entertain the idea of being a test case for this, but there are some limitations to my being the guinea pig. Firstly, I have an Ancestry visa, so it may not create the same precedent for WP/HSMP holders. Secondly, I cannot apply for ILR until this time next year, so people might not wish to wait for me.

However, I do have that letter personally signed by Charles Clarke saying specifically that the provisions of my visa will not change and that I can apply for ILR after completing my current visa.

What we need is someone like me who is finishing up his or her current stay in the next few days/weeks/months. Any takers? If not, I'll be ready to give it a go in June 2007.
I don't know if anyone has already replied to your post, and i have only just registered here today after doing some double checking on the info I received from the ILR on 22.02.2006 re applying for ILR after my ancestry visa expires in September this year, but I am willing to be a gunea pig for a test case. I had NO IDEA the goal posts had changed re ILR until today! I have a question too, which a quick search of these boards haven't answered.
1. My four year ancestry visa expires in September, will I now have to apply for this to be extended by one year, or do I apply for ILR still and then RE-apply for a further year of ILR in 2007?

This has come as a bit of a shock for me today and I will definitely be throwing my weight behind any movement to have the restrospective element removed. Utterly unfair for those of us who are completing four years this year and a blatant money making scheme to thieve more money from a sector of UK society that by UK immigration legislation HAVE to pay taxes with no recourse to utilise public funds for those four years.

I love this country and have chosen to make it my permanent home but I am now feeling distinctly unwanted! :(

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Well, according to the Home Office, one month before your current leave is set to expire, you need to fill out FLR(O) if you're an ancestry holder and FLR(IED) if you're a work permit holder. It's very straight-forward and they're unlikely to refuse it. But they still collect £355 for it! After that year is up, you'll apply for settlement (ILR) and plonk down another £355. Or more.

I've sent a private message to you as well. Check your account, if you would.

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Thank you for the PM RobinLondon, I have just replied! :D

E-mail to my MP has also been sent and I will be at the demo.

Strength in numbers people!