ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the most common way Americans become uk citizens?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jackuk778
Newly Registered

What is the most common way Americans become uk citizens?

Post by jackuk778 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Getting into the UK seems fairly difficult from my perspective and there seems to be lots of different ways to get in. I'd like to move to the uk within the next 10 years. My question is: What is the easiest, most common way that American's become UK citizens? What I mean is what kind of schooling, degrees, job, and situation in general lead to the largest number of Americans gaining citizenship in the uk?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#448261

you already asked this in this post here.

The fact you are American is irrelevent. Just because X amount of Amercans went down one route doesn't mean you will qualify for that route. You need to look at the relevent categories under the immigration rules and see what your qualify for.

Why don't you come back when you actually have a specific question?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:05 pm

After having lived here over 6 years (and now actually being qualified for citizenship), I've managed some contacts with other Americans here and there. You can visit several ex-pat forums for Americans and get a pretty good idea. From my experience, many of us come over and get citizenship based on the following in a slightly descending order:

1. Ancestry. Quite a few of us have some close enough relatives to make this work.

2. Students who then get married to UK citizens.

3. Transferring through a company, and for whatever reason, deciding to stay (my favorite! :wink: ).

This is only my own feel from visiting ex-pat forums and meeting fellow Americans here.

As the previous poster mentioned, being an American doesn't generally give you any particular advantage, unless ofcourse you qualify for the ancestry option, which is perhaps a uniquely higher possibility for us. Certainly having English as a mother tongue and having American education credentials does help in several regards, but otherwise, you will have to hop through the same hoops as anyone else.

That said, do I think being an American helped me? I kinda do. My wife is Asian Indian, so I've gotten to know plenty of people in that community as well. It certainly seems like I had a lot less scrutiny over my details every time I've had to get a visa or an extension. Things that took others months seemed to only take days or weeks for me. But this is purely anecdotal. There are certainly instances where non-Americans I know have come over as relatively easily as I did.

Good luck, and make sure to check out those ex-pat forums. They are a great resource for first hand experiences from an American point of view. For immigration advice into the UK, this forum is the best on the net.