ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship or ILR?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MRAHIR
Newly Registered

British Citizenship or ILR?

Post by MRAHIR » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi all,

I am a South African national, currently on my 5th and final year of my EEA family visa and have been in the UK altogether for 7 years now. (Initially on a 2 year work visa).

My husband is an EU national (German) and we have been living together for the past 7 years, in the UK.

I am now due to apply for my ILR, however I was hoping to find out whether this is necessary or if I can apply for PR instead without ILR?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:42 am

as you were dealt with under EU rules, ILR is irrelevant. It's PR you are after. And it's free to apply whilst ILR costs £900.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:16 am

First PR, then British citizenship (if you wish to acquire).

regards

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am

but note you dont actually have to apply for confirmation that you have PR before you apply for citizenship. If you are confident you have acquired PR then you can apply for BC a year after you acquired your PR assuming you meet the rest of the requirements. However given that an application for PR is free, it is sometimes easier to get confirmation of your PR first and apply for BC afterwards to avoid the risk of losing your naturalisation fee.