ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from PSW to Tier 2 sponsor

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jio
Newly Registered

Switching from PSW to Tier 2 sponsor

Post by Jio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 am

Hi,
I would like to get an advice on Tier2 sponsor.
I have been working for an IT company for the last year on PSW and my visa will expire in september 2011. Initially my company agreed to sponsor me and apply for a work permit. However since they do not have a license, we called the home office to get some info on how to process forward. We were told that there will be further changes to the Tier2 rules and that we might not get the license before april 2011.Is that right? Also, the procedure to get the licence appears to be very lenghty and tedious and my employer was somewhat discouraged when they heard it. Is that correct? I am looking for advice on how to reassure my employer on how to go ahead with the application. Currently, my job title is not on the shortage skill list but I score 75 points on the Tier 2 calculator (with a bachelor degree). What are the chances of me getting a work permit to carry on my work with this company?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Re: Switching from PSW to Tier 2 sponsor

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Jio wrote:Hi,

... However since they do not have a license, we called the home office to get some info on how to process forward. We were told that there will be further changes to the Tier2 rules and that we might not get the license before april 2011.Is that right?
Probably!!!

Also, the procedure to get the licence appears to be very lenghty and tedious and my employer was somewhat discouraged when they heard it. Is that correct?
you dont have any alternative, do you!

I am looking for advice on how to reassure my employer on how to go ahead with the application. Currently, my job title is not on the shortage skill list but I score 75 points on the Tier 2 calculator (with a bachelor degree). What are the chances of me getting a work permit to carry on my work with this company?

all depends on the job title as listed in new proposed study (link provided below)

Its unlikely that your comopany will be awarded licence before April 1 as it is taking 4-8 weeks these days to process employer's application by UKBA

Code: Select all

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/workingwithus/mac/analysis-of-the-pbs
Go here and see which job title suits you the best. Only NQF4+ LEVEL job will get a COS after April 2011.

Yes the process is lengthy but there is no other option for your employer.

cheers

wanted66
BANNED

Post by wanted66 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Jio wrote:Hi,
I would like to get an advice on Tier2 sponsor.
I have been working for an IT company for the last year on PSW and my visa will expire in september 2011. Initially my company agreed to sponsor me and apply for a work permit. However since they do not have a license, we called the home office to get some info on how to process forward. We were told that there will be further changes to the Tier2 rules and that we might not get the license before april 2011.Is that right? Also, the procedure to get the licence appears to be very lenghty and tedious and my employer was somewhat discouraged when they heard it. Is that correct? I am looking for advice on how to reassure my employer on how to go ahead with the application. Currently, my job title is not on the shortage skill list but I score 75 points on the Tier 2 calculator (with a bachelor degree). What are the chances of me getting a work permit to carry on my work with this company?

Welcome to my world mate.. I'm in a very similar situation as you however my company is going to get registered soon. Problem is that I'm not sure what will happen after April. My advise is to Get your company registered ASAP. Once you do that wait till April and see how the changes going to affect you. If you're lucky you can get a COS. Then you're safe.

Else its two of us going back home :lol:

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

@wanted66

what sort of salary are you on and whats your job title. are you recent graduate too?

cheers

wanted66
BANNED

Post by wanted66 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

arsenal49 wrote:@wanted66

what sort of salary are you on and whats your job title. are you recent graduate too?

cheers
I'm on 26K and have Masters. Worked with the company for over an year now. I'm a Senior Developer.

Jio
Newly Registered

Post by Jio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 pm

@Sage thank you for your advice.

@wanted66. Thanks for your response. What size is your company and do you know how long it took to implement the UKBA compliance in your company for the registration?

Jio
Newly Registered

Post by Jio » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Jio wrote:@Sage thank you for your advice.

@wanted66. Thanks for your response. What size is your company and do you know how long it took to implement the UKBA compliance in your company for the registration?
My employer has evaluated the situation and believe there is not more than 50% chances of getting the COS since the company has to apply for the license first. The UKBA tier 2 changes coming soon with not much transitional period and information are not helping either for one to make a firm decison about their future. As a result, we are not applying for the license neither the COS and I might be on the way home. The amount of time and effort that one put to secure a job no matter what pay it is should be an enough reason to allowed them to stay wherever this job is... I welcome any other idea that is legal from anyone, for me to keep my job?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 pm

dont be disheartened(yet)

what sort of salary are you on.. right now?

cheers

wanted66
BANNED

Post by wanted66 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 am

Jio wrote:
Jio wrote:@Sage thank you for your advice.

My employer has evaluated the situation and believe there is not more than 50% chances of getting the COS since the company has to apply for the license first. The UKBA tier 2 changes coming soon with not much transitional period and information are not helping either for one to make a firm decison about their future. As a result, we are not applying for the license neither the COS and I might be on the way home. The amount of time and effort that one put to secure a job no matter what pay it is should be an enough reason to allowed them to stay wherever this job is... I welcome any other idea that is legal from anyone, for me to keep my job?
You're not the only one mate. We all pretty much in the same situation. My advise for you is to Register your company first. Wait till the Rule changes and take it from there. I think if they Tie down or scrap TIER1 General they will ease Tier 2 at least.. Fingers crossed.

I know EXACTLY how you feel because I'm in the same situation as you. This system is very dissapointing indeed.

My company is yet to register. We're in the stages of getting our support documents ready.

Pray and hold tight bro ! Lets hope for the best..

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am

If you can wait after April, you should be free of any limits for COS as long as your occupation is not dropped on new list.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 am

fibreman wrote:If you can wait after April, you should be free of any limits for COS as long as your occupation is not dropped on new list.
does anyone know when they are publishing new report/recommendation related to shortage occupations?

cheers

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 am

arsenal49 wrote:
fibreman wrote:If you can wait after April, you should be free of any limits for COS as long as your occupation is not dropped on new list.
does anyone know when they are publishing new report/recommendation related to shortage occupations?

cheers
No idea, arsenal... I'm surely not going to be on the shortage list, myself.

But yes, it's all very slow and leaves ppl hanging.