ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

french citizen marrying to non EEA national

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Sat May 27, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi!
I am French and I am just married to Non EU national.
We live and work in UK.
How long does it take to get French nationality? How do they assess French language?
About visa does my husband need a visa?
I have this request because I read an article at this following URL:
http://euobserver.com/9/21489
Title: Internal EU migrants get legal boost.
02.05.2006 - 17:35 CET | By Alexander Balzan
EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS
Also, when an EU citizen travelling with their family to a European country, which is not a part of the bloc's borderless agreement, the family members will not require a visa, even if they are not citizens of a member state.
So now I'm confused, could you help me, please.
If he needs a visa, does he need a proof of accommodation, is there a waiting times and could he have his visa refused and if yes for which reason?
Please can anyone reply to us? Thank you!!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat May 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi, what nationality is your spouse? And as they are already in the UK, what is their current UK immigration status? What sort of visa?
John

JAJ
Australia

Re: french citizen marrying to non EEA national

Post by JAJ » Tue May 30, 2006 12:01 am

happyfamily wrote:Hi!
I am French and I am just married to Non EU national.
We live and work in UK.
How long does it take to get French nationality? How do they assess French language?
About visa does my husband need a visa?
Your husband does need a visa for the United Kingdom. What visa and how to get one depends on circumstances - see John's questions.

The United Kingdom is not part of the Schengen travel area, so don't assume that everything which applies there will also apply to the UK.

Also - how long have you lived in the UK?

French citizenship may be possible after a few years marriage, even if the person is not resident in France. Contact the French Embassy for further information after reading the link below (in French)
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/les-fr ... index.html

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Tue May 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello!

My spouse is Pakistani and he has at this moment a student visa, which will expire end of August 2006. He arrived in UK in October 2003 and I arrived in May 2004. Moreover we got married last February in France.

Also I already post a message at UK immigration for family members, here’s it is and please could you give us any answers please.

Questions:
1. Which documents do we need?
2. How much money do they consider if it is enough to support ourselves?
3. How long does it take to have our passport back?
4. EEA family permit for how long?
5. Do they ask anything about our relationship/couple? Proof?
6. If EEA works less than non EEA so is it ok?
7. When we could apply for EEA3and4?
8. Could applications be unsuccessful? And if yes why?
9. And can I bring my family in law in UK (parents, brother and sister in law)?
10. Does it give trouble if we did not change passport about status marital, address or/and if I did not change my name mean I still have my maiden name not my husband name on my passport?

Thank you, all of you and mainly John either about UK or France.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi, I have taken the liberty of editing your message above ... merely inserting question numbers. Answers now as follows :-
  1. Please download the forms EEA1 and EEA2. In "modern form" those contain their own guidance notes and therefore answer this question.
  2. It is not possible to come up with a precise figure, mainly because housing costs can vary so much. It merely needs to be clear that your husband will not need to claim certain Public Funds.
  3. 2 to 3 months.
  4. As just said, 2 to 3 months.
  5. The marriage certificate will need to be supplied, and as that is (presumably) in French, also a translation of it into English.
  6. If the EEA Citizen, you, works less then that is OK. Part-time work still counts as exercising treaty rights.
  7. You - five years after starting to exercise your treaty rights in the UK = May 2009 ... your husband - five years after he starts to have a permit in the EEA category = say 5 years 2 or 3 months time.
  8. Yes, if they think it is a marriage of convenience, or Public Funds might need to be claimed by your husband.
  9. Are these extended family members dependent upon you and your husband?
  10. There is no compulsion under UK law for a woman to change her surname on marriage. It is merely a convention that most tend to follow.
Click here to download the EEA1 form, and click here to download the EEA2 form.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed May 31, 2006 12:01 am

John wrote:[*]You - five years after starting to exercise your treaty rights in the UK = May 2009 ... your husband - five years after he starts to have a permit in the EEA category = say 5 years 2 or 3 months time.

What happens if husband becomes a French citizen in say 3 years time.

Does that re-set the clock for ILR or would EEA Family Permit and EEA Citizen be considered the "same" category for the 5 year residence requirement?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 am

What happens if husband becomes a French citizen in say 3 years time.

Does that re-set the clock for ILR or would EEA Family Permit and EEA Citizen be considered the "same" category for the 5 year residence requirement?
I don't think that would make any difference. He would still be exercising treaty rights, albeit in a slightly different way.
John

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Wed May 31, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi!!!!

Thank u for your answers.

2. I work 20-25hours a week and my husband the same plus at this moment he has temporary job (37.5hours a week). We have English accounts and I have around £3000 on my French account. We don’t claim any public fund.

3. If it takes too long is he illegal if his visa expired before we receive his passport back.

4. No I mean how long is EEA permit for 5years?

5. Thank u for the note about translation for French paper, I forgot to ask.
About English translation do we need to do with somebody special like a solicitor or lawyer or? Do you know how much it cost?

9. “Are these extended family members dependent upon you and your husband?”
What does it mean “dependent”? On which points?

10. Does it give trouble if we did not change passport about status marital and new address?

Also could anybody reply about France, please?

1a. How long does it take to get French nationality? How do they assess French language?

2a. About visa does my husband need a visa?

I have this request because I read an article at this following URL:
http://euobserver.com/9/21489
Title: Internal EU migrants get legal boost.
02.05.2006 - 17:35 CET | By Alexander Balzan
EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS
Also, when an EU citizen travelling with their family to a European country, which is not a part of the bloc's borderless agreement, the family members will not require a visa, even if they are not citizens of a member state.

So now I'm confused, could you help me, please?

3a. If he needs a visa, does he need a proof of accommodation, is there a waiting times and could he have his visa refused and if yes for which reason?
What do they ask for a long time family visa because if we want to visit our family in France time to time, so?

Thank you, all of you.

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:41 pm

hello everybody
does anyone want to help us? :cry:
many thanks!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:17 am

hi happyfamily

have u even check with the french embassy at all? your french citizen. the french embassy should provide you with all the info. so go check there!!!!!!!! i found some info for the french citizenship on the following website:

http://www.southern-cross-group.org/ano ... rance.html

hope this help!
good luck
m

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:29 pm

hi mktsoi
thank u for ur message
so i already try to send an email but they just gave me their address, that's it!
and about address website u gave thank u but i knew already
many thanks for reply

archigabe

Re: french citizen marrying to non EEA national

Post by archigabe » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi,
My fiancee is french and I'm Indian, and we are planning on getting married soon. Are you both married already? If so, I hope you recieved the 'certificate of no objection' from the french embassy and then had your wedding transcribed at the embassy.That would also make you eligible to recieve the french wedding certificate& the french family booklet.Your fiancee/husband would need to present that to the british embassy to receive his spouse visa or if he's in Britain already he would have to present that to the immigration authorities to receive his status as an EU citizen spouse. From the literature I've read on the web, it seems that it would take a year for your Husband to be naturalised as a french citizen based on his marriage to you. I dont think he can sponsor his family in Pakistan for french nationality based on his having acquired naturalised citizenship. My guess would be that at the most he would be able to sponsor them for visit visas, but Im not an expert on french law yet! :)

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:50 am

Hi,

Does anybody here know what documentation a person will need to be able to marry in France?. Apart from bith certificate and passport.

I heard that you need a medical certificate, do you obtain this from your current country of residency or do you have to obtain one from france?

Anastasia

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi Anastasia,
You can have some information about civil marriage in France on www. consulfrance-londres.org at Civil marriage in France or directly on http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/art ... a042e4f4e5

you need birth certificate in French and original, prenuptial medical certificate (from a GP in France or in London at theses addresses: French Dispensary : 184 Hammersmith Road, London W6 7DJ, Tél : 020 8222 8822 OR Medicare Center : 3 Harrington Gardens, London SW7 4JJ, Tél : 0207 370 49 99. ; certificate of law, declaration of 2 witnesses, certificate of capacity to marry, both passports. I think that's it.

or you can also give a look for more information on your French consulate in your country or your embassy in France like
http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servle ... 9993196508
BUT the main thing is to go to town hall where you are getting married and ask an application form.

good luck! all best and God bless you!

Anastasia

Post by Anastasia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:40 am

Happyfamily,

Thank you very much for the information you have provided and God bless you too.

Anastasia