ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Primary schooling information request for 3 year old ...

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ashishashah
India

Primary schooling information request for 3 year old ...

Post by ashishashah » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:33 am

Hello,

I am on HSMP/Tier1 ..I was working in UK from 2006 to 2010 Jan..I came back to India for some personl reasons..
Now i have sorted out some of the issue and planning to move back to UK..I have my Tier1 visa valid till Nov 2011..
However,i would like to know the schooling structure for young kids..How does it work?..I have a 3 year daughter ..

Basically, in India kid goes through following structure
1)Play grp :from 2 to 3 years
2)Nursery :3 to 4 years
4)Junior KG:4 to 5 years
5)Senior KG: 5 to 6 years
5)1st Std: 6th year on wards

1 )Is UK schooling system similar to India?

2)in India, we have SSC board,ICSC board(Central),IG board(Internatioanl baord) etc.Does UK also have various boards?
3)What is concept of public and primary school?In India most (99%) of the parents send their kids to pvt school as publics school infrastructure is not the best .Is the same scene in UK ?
4)How to get admission in school?Do we just need to visit a school ?What happens is the school is full?(Dont know if thats happens or not)

5)What are the fee structure of Public and private school?

Apologies for so many questions, but now i really need to make sure that every one in my family is happy (especially my 3 year daughter ) with the move..So i am gathering data to analyse and then take a calll..

I would really appreciate some inputs...

(Background:my Wife and daughter are now happy in India (with all friends/relatives/maid/servant etc),while i am slogging my self out at work with typical IT co in India is sucking every drop of blood.I am in Siebel techo-functioanl domain which is doing 'not bad ' in UK.)

Thanks
Ashish

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 am

Maybe you start with the Wikipedia page which may have useful information. A primary school is simply the first stage of schooling which starts at age 4 (that's when the government starts paying for education). Be careful with the term "public school" as in the UK that may actually refer to an independent/private school. Play groups and nurseries do exist too.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for the wikipedia...I had gone through it...But i am more looking for ground realities like fee structure,admission process, course contents etc..

Any one who has kid (3-4 years) in this forum?

SSEF

Re: Primary schooling information request for 3 year old ...

Post by SSEF » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 pm

ashishashah wrote:Hello,

I am on HSMP/Tier1 ..I was working in UK from 2006 to 2010 Jan..I came back to India for some personl reasons..
Now i have sorted out some of the issue and planning to move back to UK..I have my Tier1 visa valid till Nov 2011..
However,i would like to know the schooling structure for young kids..How does it work?..I have a 3 year daughter ..

Basically, in India kid goes through following structure
1)Play grp :from 2 to 3 years
2)Nursery :3 to 4 years
4)Junior KG:4 to 5 years
5)Senior KG: 5 to 6 years
5)1st Std: 6th year on wards

1 )Is UK schooling system similar to India?

2)in India, we have SSC board,ICSC board(Central),IG board(Internatioanl baord) etc.Does UK also have various boards?
3)What is concept of public and primary school?In India most (99%) of the parents send their kids to pvt school as publics school infrastructure is not the best .Is the same scene in UK ?
4)How to get admission in school?Do we just need to visit a school ?What happens is the school is full?(Dont know if thats happens or not)

5)What are the fee structure of Public and private school?

Apologies for so many questions, but now i really need to make sure that every one in my family is happy (especially my 3 year daughter ) with the move..So i am gathering data to analyse and then take a calll..

I would really appreciate some inputs...

(Background:my Wife and daughter are now happy in India (with all friends/relatives/maid/servant etc),while i am slogging my self out at work with typical IT co in India is sucking every drop of blood.I am in Siebel techo-functioanl domain which is doing 'not bad ' in UK.)

Thanks
Ashish
First off there is no comparison to state education in India, ALL children in state schools in England are given a reasonably good education (BUT this also depends on where you live - some schools, say for instance Tower Hamlets in London are failing (most kids dont speak English as a first language so its challenging for teachers) but if you live you in a nice English village or a nice part of a city, you'll find the children are doing rather well)

Private schools admit children from the age of 3 so it depends on what you want to spend, your other option is a private nursey which you will also pay a handsome amount for but their hours are more flexible and fit more with a working day - I used to pay £700 per month for my son 4 years ago.

You also have to approach state funded schools when your child is 3 or even younger in order to register an interest in sending your child to a certain school, but be mindful that there are different kinds of schools in the UK which include non faith schools and faith schools, so unless you meet the criteria you wont have an option even if the school does have amazing results.

My advice is, look at the results tables for schools and this will also give you a good idea of what kind of area you are going to live in (infant/ KG schoos are feeders to junior schools and then high schools) - the poorer the results, means (Im not generalising here its a fact!) the poorer the area.

As for course content, your child will learn to read, write and count, but at a basic level at a private nursery - the real learning will start when they go to school.

See link below which should give you some sound information.

http://www.gettherightschool.co.uk/TheS ... TheUK.html

The link below will give you an indication of which schools are good and which are poor. The above link states children start at 5 but this is not strictly true, my son started at 4 because of the month his birthday fell (born in January) and the intake is September so he was 5 in the following January (it wasnt full time though so he still attended a private nursery in the afternoon - but I felt this was better for his development some people prefer to keep their child in one place until their child goes "full time")

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/school-tables

Hope this helps.