ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Personal Insurance for Pregnant Women

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aani

Personal Insurance for Pregnant Women

Post by Aani » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi All,

I am carrying a baby and I am 16 weeks pregnant now. I was insured as a secondary applicant on my husband's insurance coverage. The insurance was provided by his company where he was employed. Now, he resigned his job and looking for a new job and i cannot use the insurance anymore.

1. Has anyone took a new insurance during pregnancy?
2. Is pregnancy treated as a Pre existing condition?
3. I googled and found that the Insurance company do consider pregnancy as pre existing condition. Is this true?

Can moderators, senior members help me as I am really in need of an insurance due to Medical circumstances.

Please help.

Best Regards,
Aani

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 pm

As Tier 1 (General) migrant / dependant, you are entitled to NHS services. Any reason why you wish to have an insurance cover?

Insurance cover provided by an employer is "an employee benefit" but that doesn't mean that you cannot use NHS services!

regards

Aani

Post by Aani » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Moderator,

Many thanks for the reply. You are correct. I am registered with local GP. However, I personally feel that I am not very much satisfied with their service ( this is purely my personal view). It usually takes 3 to 4 days to get an appointment. As this is my first baby and living all alone waiting for 3 to 4 days in case of emergency situation is a pain. Just to be in safer side and to make things clear I prefer taking Health insurance. Hope you can understand my point. I know its an extra effort and money that I am going to spend but its till the birth of the baby . I am OK to afford it rather than worrying and waiting times.

I am open to accept any comments . :) Please suggest.

Regards,
Aani

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Aani wrote:Hi Moderator,

Many thanks for the reply. You are correct. I am registered with local GP. However, I personally feel that I am not very much satisfied with their service ( this is purely my personal view). It usually takes 3 to 4 days to get an appointment. As this is my first baby and living all alone waiting for 3 to 4 days in case of emergency situation is a pain. Just to be in safer side and to make things clear I prefer taking Health insurance. Hope you can understand my point. I know its an extra effort and money that I am going to spend but its till the birth of the baby . I am OK to afford it rather than worrying and waiting times.

I am open to accept any comments . :) Please suggest.

Regards,
Aani
Actually no, I dont understand your point, if you have an "emergency" and you are pregnant then you can go to your local A&E, a GP is there for general problems and not to pander to you because you happen to be pregnant, which isnt classified as an "Illness". You will also have access to a midwife (at hospital) and nurse at your local practice who will monitor your pregnancy stage by stage, as a mother of 2 Ive never had any problems with the NHS in fact Id go as far to say that they give excellent care to women who are pregnant!

But by all means fritter your money - there are plenty of private companies that will gladly take it but you certainly wont get any better care than you would on the NHS apart from more scans and a 3D picture - which you can pay extra for on the NHS!