ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I British Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

crazyflower
Newly Registered

Am I British Citizen?

Post by crazyflower » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Dear all
I was born in Uganda in 1962 and the time of birth both prents were British citizens, mother was a registered citizen and Dad was a naturalized citizen. We were on our mom's blue coloured british passport as minors. My father renounced his citizenship after my birth and became an Ugandan citizen. However we returned to India as refugees in 1972 and my mom renounced her citizenship. My question is since I was born in a British protectorate state, am I eligible to apply? and if so by otherwise byd escent or by descent? I am Indian by ethnicity.
My parents were Portuguese (Goa) citizens by birth. also pls any advise on any good lawyers who I can contact?
Thanks & Regards

SSEF

Re: Am I British Citizen?

Post by SSEF » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 pm

crazyflower wrote:Dear all
I was born in Uganda in 1962 and the time of birth both prents were British citizens, mother was a registered citizen and Dad was a naturalized citizen. We were on our mom's blue coloured british passport as minors. My father renounced his citizenship after my birth and became an Ugandan citizen. However we returned to India as refugees in 1972 and my mom renounced her citizenship. My question is since I was born in a British protectorate state, am I eligible to apply? and if so by otherwise byd escent or by descent? I am Indian by ethnicity.
My parents were Portuguese (Goa) citizens by birth. also pls any advise on any good lawyers who I can contact?
Thanks & Regards
If you were on your mothers passport, this meant you "were" a British citizen, if she renounced her citizenship and more than likely that of her childrens (in India you are not allowed more than one citizenship), then you can NEVER again under any circumstances hold British Citizenship.

British subjects, British Overseas citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) cannot under any circumstances resume their British nationality after renunciation.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm

SSEF,
Would it be possible for a person British subject who renounced the citizenship to apply for one again, say, after living in the UK for 6 years under work permit?
Would it be considered "resuming the citizenship"? Or would be OK as the person is not claiming citizenship under the same route?

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:23 pm

SSEF wrote:If you were on your mothers passport, this meant you "were" a British citizen, if she renounced her citizenship and more than likely that of her childrens (in India you are not allowed more than one citizenship), then you can NEVER again under any circumstances hold British Citizenship.

British subjects, British Overseas citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) cannot under any circumstances resume their British nationality after renunciation.
What's your basis for this statement?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tizenship/

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Kitty wrote:
SSEF wrote:If you were on your mothers passport, this meant you "were" a British citizen, if she renounced her citizenship and more than likely that of her childrens (in India you are not allowed more than one citizenship), then you can NEVER again under any circumstances hold British Citizenship.

What's your basis for this statement?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tizenship/
Renunciation and resumption of British nationality

All categories of British nationality can be renounced by a declaration made to the Home Secretary. A person ceases to be a British national on the date the the Home Secretary registers the declaration of renunciation. If a declaration is registered in the expectation of acquiring another citizenship, but one is not acquired within six months of the registration, it does not take effect and the person is considered to have remained a British national.

Renunciations made to other authorities are invalid: e.g., a general renunciation made upon taking up U.S. citizenship. The forms must be sent through the UK Border Agency's citizenship renunciation process.[21]

There are provisions for the resumption of British citizenship or British overseas territories citizenship renounced for the purpose of gaining or retaining another citizenship. This can generally only be done once as a matter of entitlement. Further opportunities to resume British citizenship are discretionary.

Is the above clear Kitty?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 pm

The source of the text above seems to be Wikipedia. Is that a reliable source for up-to-date or accurate information regarding British nationality, as compared to the actual legislation and / or Nationality Instructions?

Link(s) from official source may be more reliable and something the OP cannot doubt.

regards

crazyflower
Newly Registered

Am I British Citizen?

Post by crazyflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 am

Let me thank you for your help. I agree with Mr. Mehta because I know there is a form R1 and R2, which is for people who want their citizenship back, they can apply only once. If so, then as I was a minor, I did not renounce it. The fact that I was on my mom's passport, proves it. But also the third part which due to circumstances (refugee status). my mom had to renounce it.
So pls can you help me Mr. Mehta or anyone on how I should approach this issue? Ok if I would like to try, let us see what they decide, which form should I apply on?
Regards and hoping for any advise/lawyer contact etc.(Hope I am posting this correctly)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 am