ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

garichd

Post by garichd » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 pm

Miss Oceania wrote:
RobinLondon wrote:I'm willing to entertain the idea of being a test case for this, but there are some limitations to my being the guinea pig. Firstly, I have an Ancestry visa, so it may not create the same precedent for WP/HSMP holders. Secondly, I cannot apply for ILR until this time next year, so people might not wish to wait for me.

However, I do have that letter personally signed by Charles Clarke saying specifically that the provisions of my visa will not change and that I can apply for ILR after completing my current visa.

What we need is someone like me who is finishing up his or her current stay in the next few days/weeks/months. Any takers? If not, I'll be ready to give it a go in June 2007.
I don't know if anyone has already replied to your post, and i have only just registered here today after doing some double checking on the info I received from the ILR on 22.02.2006 re applying for ILR after my ancestry visa expires in September this year, but I am willing to be a gunea pig for a test case. I had NO IDEA the goal posts had changed re ILR until today! I have a question too, which a quick search of these boards haven't answered.
1. My four year ancestry visa expires in September, will I now have to apply for this to be extended by one year, or do I apply for ILR still and then RE-apply for a further year of ILR in 2007?

This has come as a bit of a shock for me today and I will definitely be throwing my weight behind any movement to have the restrospective element removed. Utterly unfair for those of us who are completing four years this year and a blatant money making scheme to thieve more money from a sector of UK society that by UK immigration legislation HAVE to pay taxes with no recourse to utilise public funds for those four years.

I love this country and have chosen to make it my permanent home but I am now feeling distinctly unwanted! :(

Here you go!!!!

I know majority of the ppl even doesn't know they are affected or what happened.
They will know only after when they will try to apply for ILR near the completion of 4 years..

That’s why I am constantly saying we need to raise awareness, so that more and more ppl can join our campaign.

My Last below, nobody replies to that..

garichd wrote:We need to create awareness so that we can get as many donations.

There are several ways.

1) Chain Mail.
2) Distributing Brochures (mainly in London, Reading, Slough)
3) Contacting/Making announcements at community centres (like Chinese community centres / Indian community centres). I will try to make announcements in reading Hindu temple.

Any other ideas … ?
I even drafted and posted chain mail for proof reading few day’s back....

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:57 pm

garichd wrote:1) Chain Mail.
2) Distributing Brochures (mainly in London, Reading, Slough)
3) Contacting/Making announcements at community centres (like Chinese community centres / Indian community centres). I will try to make announcements in reading Hindu temple.
all the 1), 2) and 3) are brilliant.

for 1), there's an chain email on VBSI website already.
http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=raise_awareness

for 2) and 3), they need people to deliver. hopefully more and more people like you can take the action.

the planned demonstration is another chance to raise awareness too.

chibuya

Post by chibuya » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:26 pm

Hear that we need at least 2,000 people to take the HO to court as one collective case???

Hidden dragon

Post by Hidden dragon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 pm

chibuya wrote:Hear that we need at least 2,000 people to take the HO to court as one collective case???
Could you give the reference?
Trust and value ourselves, because we deserve it!

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 am

Three new names are now added on the EDM1992:
Taylor, Matthew
Thurso, John
Wood, Mike

chibuya

Post by chibuya » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 am

Could you give the reference?[/quote]

Please see this thread
http://lkcn.net/bbs/index.php?showtopic ... pic=101886

However I am not complete sure about if what they said was right will be appreciate that anyone working in law could confirm that..

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:21 am

chibuya wrote:Please see this thread
http://lkcn.net/bbs/index.php?showtopic ... pic=101886

However I am not complete sure about if what they said was right will be appreciate that anyone working in law could confirm that..
you might get it wrong. the guy was not saying it had to take 2000 people to make a collective court case. he/she was saying there was a 2000 people protest coming to nothing at the end.

hvac2006
Newly Registered

EDM1992

Post by hvac2006 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am

supertiger wrote:Three new names are now added on the EDM1992:
Taylor, Matthew
Thurso, John
Wood, Mike
Me and my friend living in Batley, we were in contact with our MP mike wood since about last two month, finally on last meeting he promissed us to fully support our case and also sign EDM. Today I saw his name appeared on list of MP who sign EDM. He is one of quite few labour Mps who signed EDM.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 am

well done, hvac.

did you set up a meeting with mr mike wood? what did he say on the meeting with you? did he have any suggestion of our campaign?

cheers.

hvac2006
Newly Registered

Post by hvac2006 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:32 pm

nonothing wrote:well done, hvac.

did you set up a meeting with mr mike wood? what did he say on the meeting with you? did he have any suggestion of our campaign?

cheers.
we had initial meeting with him in april 2006 in which we provided initial information, he send letter to home office. Again we had another meeting with him in may in which we provided additional evidence and also copy of VBSI letter to MP. We also requested him to sign EDM1992, he promissed to sign EDM and also to take up this case with home office again, He also agreed that retrospective implimentation of 5 year change is unjustified.

Hidden dragon

Post by Hidden dragon » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Chain Email.

Dear all,

Please forward the email at http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=raise_awareness to all the people you think who might be interested in our campaign and joining the demonstration.

I have just done it. Feels good.
Trust and value ourselves, because we deserve it!

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:09 am

brilliant, hvac.

you might be aware that there would be a demonstration in front of the Parliament next friday. on the day Andrew Dismore MP (Labour) will hand 1700 petitions over to the Parliament. can you by any chance let mr wood know it? and maybe you can also ask if mr wood could give us any suggestions or anything else he could do to help us.

cheers.
hvac2006 wrote:we had initial meeting with him in april 2006 in which we provided initial information, he send letter to home office. Again we had another meeting with him in may in which we provided additional evidence and also copy of VBSI letter to MP. We also requested him to sign EDM1992, he promissed to sign EDM and also to take up this case with home office again, He also agreed that retrospective implimentation of 5 year change is unjustified.

hvac2006
Newly Registered

Post by hvac2006 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:20 pm

I send Email in this regards to Mr Mike Wood today requesting help. I checked that He is in London today,but made appointment to meet him on 17 june in his surgery. So we will try to get some useful advise from him.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:27 pm

well done, hvac.

please keep us informed.

BadPaul

Post by BadPaul » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:52 pm

do we know how many people confirm attendance to the meeting on Friday 16th?

Do we intend to keep a record of the number of people confirming?

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm

yes, we do.

so far about 20 people confirmed their presence from VBSI's side. CL will also bring in some supports. VBSI is contacting with the doctors too.

badpaul, are you coming?

BadPaul

Post by BadPaul » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:32 pm

I am indeed, I havent sent the confirmation email yet, I will do it today.

I am also contacting all the skilled immigrants that I know asking them to join us. Shall we use the community forums ( arab,turkish, russian, etc ) to get more people to come?

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:40 pm

BadPaul wrote:I am indeed, I havent sent the confirmation email yet, I will do it today.

I am also contacting all the skilled immigrants that I know asking them to join us. Shall we use the community forums ( arab,turkish, russian, etc ) to get more people to come?
yes, please do. thanks paul.

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:44 pm

I have today posted letters to my MP Lyn Brown (Lab, West Ham), the Home Secretary and the Minister for Immigration. Also spoke to a reporter from TNT Magazine who will be doing a report on my situation and publicising the demo in TNT Midweek. I also have a bunch of (fabulous, amazing, incredible!) friends who have all also e-mailed or written to my MP and the Home Secretary supporting our cause.

Is there somewhere I can post the text of the letters they have sent, as the person who wrote it has done an absolutely BRILLIANT job and it would be great to use as a form letter for our British friends to send to MP's and the Home Secretary/Minister for Immigration.

All the friends who have done this are Brits and feel very strongly that applying the rule retrospectively is unfair and harmful. If we are to succeed with this we MUST get the locals on our side, they will be the ones to win or lose us this fight!

As well as getting off our own backsides of course! ESPECIALLY Aussies and Kiwi's on Ancestry visas. There is no "she'll be right" or "no worries mate" in this situation. This is not the time for us to be apathetic. If we don't stick up for ourselves now, it will be the thin end of the wedge and very soon there will be no more Ancestry visa to apply for!

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:34 am

Got a reply from my MP

"Dear xxxxxxx
Thank you for your recent email, the contents of which i have noted.
I have accordingly written to the Immigration Minister, Liam Byrne MP, raising your concerns and asking the Minister to address the issues you raise.
I will contact you again as soon as i receive a reply.
Please accept my best wishes.

Yours sincerely

Alan Keen MP
Member of Parliament for Feltham and Heston"

He wrote me on his official letter headed paper.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:55 am

sams wrote:
sowhat wrote:
ansaggart wrote:guys,

I have just spoken to my lawyer about this and he told me to wait another year. he also mentioned that it is impossible to change the rules back.
I have to apply anyway to get the extension. As I understand I should not lose my fees during this transitional period, though it will be quite painful if I do.
Did you recieve any news from HO?

Any other applicants, who applied after 3rd april, please keep us updated .
I've got a letter from HO today suggesting that I should change my application form ILR to FLR enclosing the application forms. I have to make a decision in 28 days. I do not have to pay the fees again.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:13 am

Sowhat, go ahead and fill the extension, we cant use yours as a test case for now. Moderators should shed more light.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:23 am

Papafaith wrote:Sowhat, go ahead and fill the extension, we cant use yours as a test case for now. Moderators should shed more light.
surely I will do. Though I'd like to have a quick chat with Christine Lee's team. Does anybody know who is the contact there? It was posted somewhere in this thread, but is is so huge now...

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Lok Wong

Christine Lee & Co Solicitors
86 Holloway Head
Birmingham
West Midlands
B1 1NB

Tel: 0121 666 6228
Fax: 0121 666 6993

V4VENDETTA
Newly Registered

Post by V4VENDETTA » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Sowhat!

Are you on a work permit or HSMP, when does your current leave to remain expire? Just wondering how you got a letter asking you whether you would like to change your ILR for further leave to remain, and I got a straight decline.