ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

claiming tax credits and supose insurance number

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Greenie, actually no, the procedure has changed and an overstayer can no longer get a NI number.

But something else has changed as well. That is the detailed regulations for various benefits, including Tax Credits, have changed. For Tax Credits, as long as one of the couple making a joint claim has their NI number, the fact that the other of the couple does not have a NI number, and that is because of for example the person being an overstayer, then the Tax Credits claim can proceed.

As regards the need for an interview, the person needs to go for that, but as an overstayer thy will not get the NI number, but nevertheless it will confirm their identity. Don't decline the interview!
John

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi John thanks for the correction, been out of the loop for a few months so have obviously missed a few changes.

alina143

Post by alina143 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 pm

thanks really appericiated . Tax know he got arrested at the job center will they still send him for a nino interview

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:06 pm

alina143, yes they will, because of the Tax Credits claim, to confirm his identity.
John

alina143

Post by alina143 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:41 pm

hi i rang tax credits helpline 2day and i got told that the head office are dealing with my claim and that my partners details didnt match! What does this mean and what will happen? Please gve me sum mre advice

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

my partners details didnt match!
Didn't match with what? It doesn't make sense to me.
John

alina143

Post by alina143 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

thats what they said that my partners details are not confirmed he hasnt gone to the NINO interview so i dont know the adviser said when i rang i didnt give his right details but they never asked me for his details is it because he got arrested at the jobcenter?

alina143

Post by alina143 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:33 pm

i mean he hasnt got any appointment letter for NINO interview

alina143

Post by alina143 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 pm

hi what does referral team do? I rang tax credit helpline again 2day and they said they waiting for payment shedule to be set up any advice please john would be appericated thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

hi what does referral team do?
I can only guess that if the people dealing with claims are not sure of a point they refer the claim to a referral team.
they said they waiting for payment shedule to be set up
That sounds promising. Hopefully you will hear how much you will get, and when.
John

alina143

Post by alina143 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 pm

thanks john realy appericate for replying il post back on here when it is al done :)

VT

Post by VT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 pm

They are the most ignorant people when it comes to overstayers. They haven't got a clue how to deal with situations like ours. My partner went for a NINO interview June 2010 and that was refused. We were then told so many different things by CAB and various other advisory services. He went for another interview in January this year and that was also refused. However, tax office have recently put a temporary NINO on the claim form as they believe that he is 'invisible' but i am still entitled to tax credits as i'm British and so is our son.
You just need to keep on at them, i know it's horrible and it's the most stressful situation to be in. You just need to remain strong and keep pestering them to get it sorted. Hope that helps.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 pm

i am still entitled to tax credits as i'm British
Not quite, in the sense that, as you are living with your partner you do not have the ability to claim Tax Credits in your sole name but you can make a joint claim with your partner. The fact that you are British is distinctly helpful as regards that joint claim.
.... i'm British and so is our son
Actually your son's nationality is irrelevant. OK he is British, but there would be the same entitlement for you and your partner to claim Tax Credits even if he was not British.
John

alina143

Post by alina143 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 pm

yes VT im ringing them every other day keep telling me different things but they said to me to wait till the 21st because thats when it would be 3weeks but i put the claim in last month on the 16 of jan they also told me because of my partners status my claim will take much longer to process getting told different things every time. And also they said that even if my partner is subject to immigration control i still need to go through with the joint claim no matter what im gona give them a call on the 22nd and see what i get told then. Its good to hear your tax claim has been sorted.

alina143

Post by alina143 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm

also i rang a advisery bureau they told me i cant claim income support because my partner is staying with me. But the thing is jobcenter started my claim up again by them selfs sayin that as my partner doesnt have any recourse to public funds that im still intitled to income support. Is this wrong im getting confused now

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes it is wrong. They get confused when it comes to overstayers. You should contact community law service. They're the ones who are sorting my claim out. You need to keep on at them. I went through the same thing and it's awful but you'll get there with them. They're very under trained in immigration issues. The problem is, you never speak to the same person when you call, so you have to explain it over and over again and nobody seems to understand. I had to ask for them to put me through to a manager, every time i called, but they didn't really know much either. Really, your partner needs to attend and interview for a NINO and then go from there. It will help the claim if he has some form of Identification, my partner didn't have ANY so it just slowed it down. We had to go for an interview twice and haven't had any money from them since April last year. So you can imagine what i've had to put up with and how many different things they've told me. Just try and be patient but keep pushing them.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:51 pm

John wrote:
i am still entitled to tax credits as i'm British
Not quite, in the sense that, as you are living with your partner you do not have the ability to claim Tax Credits in your sole name but you can make a joint claim with your partner. The fact that you are British is distinctly helpful as regards that joint claim.
.... i'm British and so is our son
Actually your son's nationality is irrelevant. OK he is British, but there would be the same entitlement for you and your partner to claim Tax Credits even if he was not British.
Lol thank you John. & thanks for your advice about tax credits, it has really helped us.

alina143

Post by alina143 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm

VT i did ring them they told me about my income support claim. Il get in touch with the jobcenter and make sure they are giving me income support on a right basis. Jobcenter started my claim for income support bk up them self even they know my partner is staying with me and that hes an overstayer. But just to be safe i will contact them. And thanks for the advise VT its good to know that ur claim is being sorted . Im getting told to wait till the 21st so gona see what they say then. And u said right abt talking to different tax adviser wen u ring tco u have to explain again and again sum advisers talk really nice sum talk like uve commited a crime. One said to me im not entitled to child tax credit becoz of my partner he needs to be a british citizen is that true? I mean theres al kind of people from different countries claiming tax credits.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:52 am

One said to me im not entitled to child tax credit becoz of my partner he needs to be a british citizen is that true?
Absolutely untrue. Don't go and see that incompetent person again.
John

syeda29
Newly Registered

NO NI number NO id then no payment from tax credit new rule

Post by syeda29 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:35 pm

They have no reason to decline to process the claim. If they still refuse, appeal![/quote] TAX credit now require PARTNERS id to prove who they are. no NI is really required for people subject to immigration control,but without ID they now refuseIM IN THAT BOAT FOR LAST 4 MONTHS with 4 children suffering hardship and distress,tax office say diffrent things everytime u phone,so dont waste time go to MP OFFICE DIRECT if you dont have no NI BUT HAVE ID ul succeed take it to mp to sort out,and if you dont have both in my case they say NO ID NO PAYMENT WILL BE MADE this is what tax credit sent me after 4 months.

alina143

Post by alina143 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 pm

oh thts to bad they cant do that surely. I got 4 kids also so i do know what ur going through

alina143

Post by alina143 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

syeda ur partner whats his immigration status?

syeda29
Newly Registered

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT

Post by syeda29 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 am

alina143 wrote:syeda ur partner whats his immigration status?
HIS GOT NO RIGHTS TO RESIDE JUST RECENTLEY SENT OFF FLRM,

alina143

Post by alina143 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 am

ok thats good

syeda29
Newly Registered

IDENTITY?

Post by syeda29 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 am

John wrote:alina143, yes they will, because of the Tax Credits claim, to confirm his identity.
how do you check an immigrants identity im asking becuse my husbands go no ID to prove who he is beside immigration papers and marriage certificate,how come the immigration accepts his got no ID and then allows him to get married to me,but the tax credit wont accept his got no ID after checking out with homeoffice if ive put in an application for my husband,