ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen otherwise than be descent?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

caspar
Newly Registered

British citizen otherwise than be descent?

Post by caspar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 am

Hi,

I have asked another question in another thread, but I wanted to ask this separate question here. My apologies if this is not the done thing.

Grandfather is Born in England around turn of the century. Father is born in Australia in 1948. Sister is born in Australia in 1986.

Is my father a citizen by descent or otherwise?

My reading of the 1981 act, section 14 is that his circumstance is not mentioned, thereby making him a citizen otherwise than by descent, because he was born prior to 1 january 1949 and therefore he was a british subject not by virtuate of 1948 section 5, but virtue of 1914 section 1. how does a "natural born british subject" translate into the 1981 law?

My father has had a british passport since his early twenties. Does this mean he gave up aussie citizenship? Could the 1971 legislation have an effect here?

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:57 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

caspar
Newly Registered

Post by caspar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:59 am

thanks for the reply, i have read that and all the relevant guidance documents and legislation i can find.

i can't see how the 1981 legislation classifies people who were subjects born overseas who became citizens of a commonwealth country in 1949 and then took up british citizenship again.

my father was not a citizen under s.5 of the 1948 act. his circumstance is not listed, as far as i can tell...

i would really appreciate any guidance that could be given as to where this is specified. Thanks!

his first british passport, issued in 1973, says "british subject: citizen of the united kingdom and colonies".

i have found the following document that seems to apply. please correct my understanding. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_ns.pdf
From 1949 onwards, when those CUKCs connected to newly emerging independent states became citizens of those countries on independence, they automatically lost their citizenship of the UK & colonies unless they benefited from a specified exception. Exceptions would apply where there was a secondary claim to citizenship of the UK & Colonies, usually through the male line going back two generations.
Which would appear to apply for my father.

The question remains, in my mind anyway, where it is defined in legislation that he is british "by descent".

caspar
Newly Registered

Post by caspar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 am

i cannot say for sure, because it is impossible to tell how he was recognised as a CUKC without getting a determination from the home office, but i think i have found the relevant legislation...

from the 1948 act:
12(2)
A person who was a British subject immediately before the date of the commencement of this Act shall on that date become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies if at the time of his birth his father was a British subject and possessed any of the qualifications specified in the last foregoing subsection.
and 12(8 )
A male person who becomes a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by virtue only of subsection (2), (4) or (6) of this section shall be deemed for the purposes of the proviso to subsection (1) of section five of this Act to be a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent only.
I *think* that that is how he is a CUKC.

Does anyone think it worth investigting?

It is only odd because he has had an Australian passport since the early seventies as well. My understanding is that he could not have been both...

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:53 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

caspar
Newly Registered

Post by caspar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 am

the replies are appreciated. they helped me to continue searching for the confirmation i was looking for.

though the australian government websites are not helpful for anything but current births and naturalisations, i can confirm from reading that my father was a british citizen by descent according to the legislation and was held as an exception to allow dual citizenship.

glad we cleared that up!