ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NARIC letter not accepted

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kurianxl09
Newly Registered

NARIC letter not accepted

Post by kurianxl09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi,
I applied for Tier1 General(initial application) in Nov 2010. I claimed 35 points for my PGDBM ( Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management) Qualification with a letter from NARIC stating it to equivalent to British taught Masters Programme.
I submitted my Bachelors degree for English Language points.
But I was awarded only 30 points and in the letter from UKBA it states that
can only award points for bachelors of engineering as our PBS does not award points for your post graduate diploma.
Well I got my Tier1 approved as my points from other heads added up but wanted to let everyone know that NARIC letter may not be considered.

What I dont understand is why NARIC considers this equivalent to British taught Masters Degree and not UKBA.

sunmoon

Re: NARIC letter not accepted

Post by sunmoon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 pm

kurianxl09 wrote:Hi,
I applied for Tier1 General(initial application) in Nov 2010. I claimed 35 points for my PGDBM ( Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management) Qualification with a letter from NARIC stating it to equivalent to British taught Masters Programme.
can only award points for bachelors of engineering as our PBS does not award points for your post graduate diploma.
Well I got my Tier1 approved as my points from other heads added up but wanted to let everyone know that NARIC letter may not be considered.

What I dont understand is why NARIC considers this equivalent to British taught Masters Degree and not UKBA.
No idea how come UKNARIC stated that PgD is equivalent to British taught Masters degree. Probably, the person of the NARIC who processed your equivalence certificate doesn't know about PgD and taught Masters degree in the UK. PgD and taught Masters is never equivalent.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 am

sunmoon wrote:

PgD and taught Masters is never equivalent.
That's not correct.

I know some foreign PGDBM's are equivalent to UK taught Masters. It all depends what you have done and from where!

Also, Few foreign PGDBM's are way way ahead in terms of quality and recognition when you compare them to taught masters awarded by bottom 95% UK Unis.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:35 am

tall_funky wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

That's not correct.

I know some foreign PGDBM's are equivalent to UK taught Masters. It all depends what you have done and from where!

Also, Few foreign PGDBM's are way way ahead in terms of quality and recognition when you compare them to taught masters awarded by bottom 95% UK Unis.
Really ? Bottom 95% Unis, I never knew that.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:45 am

Ask anyone about PGDBM's awarded by IIM's in India, you will know what I'm talking about!

I'm sure other countries must have their own equivalents.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 am

tall_funky wrote:Ask anyone about PGDBM's awarded by IIM's in India, you will know what I'm talking about!

What about MBM/MBA from IIM's ? How does NARIC recognize these degrees ?

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am

sunmoon wrote:
tall_funky wrote:Ask anyone about PGDBM's awarded by IIM's in India, you will know what I'm talking about!

I don't think they award MBA/MBM.

You can read more about IIM's here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ins ... Management

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 am

tall_funky wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

From the link I can see they award MBA degree. Haven't you read the link ?

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 am

sunmoon wrote:
tall_funky wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

From the link I can see they award MBA degree. Haven't you read the link ?
I did not but i've yet to meet a MBA from IIM's.

They might have started recently, if any!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 am

IIM Ahmedabad wrote:PGP is a MBA level, two-year, full time residential programme leading to a Post-Graduate Diploma in Management.
Likewise for other IIMs.

In India, MBA degree can only be awarded by Universities, not institutions.

regards

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 am

sushdmehta wrote:
IIM Ahmedabad wrote:PGP is a MBA level, two-year, full time residential programme leading to a Post-Graduate Diploma in Management.
Likewise for other IIMs.

In India, MBA degree can only be awarded by Universities, not institutions.

regards
Thanks sushdmehta. Do you mean only MBAs or Masters degrees aswel ? I mean, to award a Masters degree, is it the same rules ?
Just to add, how come IIT , Delhi offers MBA program ?
Last edited by sunmoon on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 am

UK NARIC letters are acceptable documentary evidence(s) for qualification(s) not listed in the PBS calculator.

If a given qualification is listed in the PBS, then an out-dated NARIC letter (issued long ago) may not be considered as NARIC assessment of overseas qualifications is a dynamic process and it is possible that a qualification which was considered equivalent to a certain level before is now no longer considered to be of the same level.

When refuting points awarded by PBS calculator for a listed qualification, it is important that the applicant submits a recently issued "statement of comparability" from NARIC.

This said, caseworkers are also known for their propensity to commit administrative errors in assessing applications! Such mistakes to not mean that acceptable evidences suddenly become unacceptable!

regards

kurianxl09
Newly Registered

Post by kurianxl09 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Sushd,
The NARIC letter was obtained just 2 months prior to applying for the Tier1 visa. So i presume it hasnt got anything to do with the the NARIC letter being outdated.

My Qualification is on the points based calculator but I still choose to get a letter from NARIC. The reason I did this is because
1. My certificate reads "Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management" and I didnt want to take chance with the assessor being confused.
2. The points calculator lets me choose my Institute for Bachelors as well as Masters degree. I know that my institute doesnt offer a Bachelors course. ( This is the case with the IIMs as well, it lets you choose PGDBM from IIM as a bachelors degree ).

So I thought , easy option i.e NARIC approves = UKBA approves , no messing with points calculator.

Is there any way I can write and ask for a clarification?

sushdmehta wrote:UK NARIC letters are acceptable documentary evidence(s) for qualification(s) not listed in the PBS calculator.

If a given qualification is listed in the PBS, then an out-dated NARIC letter (issued long ago) may not be considered as NARIC assessment of overseas qualifications is a dynamic process and it is possible that a qualification which was considered equivalent to a certain level before is now no longer considered to be of the same level.

When refuting points awarded by PBS calculator for a listed qualification, it is important that the applicant submits a recently issued "statement of comparability" from NARIC.

This said, caseworkers are also known for their propensity to commit administrative errors in assessing applications! Such mistakes to not mean that acceptable evidences suddenly become unacceptable!

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:22 am

sunmoon wrote:Do you mean only MBAs or Masters degrees aswel ? I mean, to award a Masters degree, is it the same rules ?
I know of MBA rules, not sure of the usual "masters" programmes (e.g. - MSc).
sunmoon wrote:Just to add, how come IIT , Delhi offers MBA program ?
Because every IIT is an autonomous university in itself.

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 am

kurianxl09 wrote:The NARIC letter was obtained just 2 months prior to applying for the Tier1 visa. So i presume it hasnt got anything to do with the the NARIC letter being outdated.

My Qualification is on the points based calculator but I still choose to get a letter from NARIC. The reason I did this is because
1. My certificate reads "Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management" and I didnt want to take chance with the assessor being confused.
2. The points calculator lets me choose my Institute for Bachelors as well as Masters degree. I know that my institute doesnt offer a Bachelors course. ( This is the case with the IIMs as well, it lets you choose PGDBM from IIM as a bachelors degree ).

So I thought , easy option i.e NARIC approves = UKBA approves , no messing with points calculator.

It is quite possible that in your case there was an error of judgement by the caseworker / ECO. But the sad part is, that because your application was approved, you didn't have the option of an administrative review to ensure that they corrected their mistake and award you points for your PG degree as equivalent of UK masters.

I don't think "clarification" request will get any attention, but submitting a formal complaint to the issuing BHC regarding this oversight and error in judgement may get attention (and perhaps an appropriate response)!

regards

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:38 am

sushdmehta wrote:
sunmoon wrote:Do you mean only MBAs or Masters degrees aswel ? I mean, to award a Masters degree, is it the same rules ?
I know of MBA rules, not sure of the usual "masters" programmes (e.g. - MSc).
sunmoon wrote:Just to add, how come IIT , Delhi offers MBA program ?
Because every IIT is an autonomous university in itself.

regards
IITs are autonomous Institute not University same as like IIMs

kurianxl09
Newly Registered

Post by kurianxl09 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks everyone for the help. The forum was really useful in preparing the necessary documents for my application.
Sushd, I think I will submit a formal complaint to the BHC ( No idea how to do that but I shall figure it out).

Regards

sushdmehta wrote:
kurianxl09 wrote:The NARIC letter was obtained just 2 months prior to applying for the Tier1 visa. So i presume it hasnt got anything to do with the the NARIC letter being outdated.

It is quite possible that in your case there was an error of judgement by the caseworker / ECO. But the sad part is, that because your application was approved, you didn't have the option of an administrative review to ensure that they corrected their mistake and award you points for your PG degree as equivalent of UK masters.

I don't think "clarification" request will get any attention, but submitting a formal complaint to the issuing BHC regarding this oversight and error in judgement may get attention (and perhaps an appropriate response)!

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm

sunmoon wrote:IITs are autonomous Institute not University same as like IIMs
Chapter 2 wrote:(1C) The University of Roorkee, Roorkee shall, on such incorporation, be called the Institute of Technology, Roorkee
How was IIT Bombay set up? wrote:In 1961, by an act of Parliament, the Institute was declared an institution of national importance and was accorded the status of a university with power to award its own degrees and diplomas.
Search the internet or IIT websites for "Indian Institute of Technologies Act, 1961". Read it (and the associated annexes) and you'll find similar confirmations for each of the IITs.

Incidently, IIT Mumbai is the largest university in the state of Maharashtra. :wink:

regards

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
sunmoon wrote:IITs are autonomous Institute not University same as like IIMs
Chapter 2 wrote:(1C) The University of Roorkee, Roorkee shall, on such incorporation, be called the Institute of Technology, Roorkee
How was IIT Bombay set up? wrote:In 1961, by an act of Parliament, the Institute was declared an institution of national importance and was accorded the status of a university with power to award its own degrees and diplomas.
Search the internet or IIT websites for "Indian Institute of Technologies Act, 1961". Read it (and the associated annexes) and you'll find similar confirmations for each of the IITs.

Incidently, IIT Mumbai is the largest university in the state of Maharashtra. :wink:

regards
Thanks Mr Mehta for the clarification

abhijitrunwal

Post by abhijitrunwal » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:02 am

tall_funky wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

Hi
do you always receive a letter if you apply from home country stating your points. i dont have the letter as i never recieved it. or one just receives the letter if one has some discreapancy. i am asking this question because i have appointment on 12th and have only 95 points required. if i dont get points on my masters degree i will not getbtier1 extension. also when i submitted my masters degree last time i had also submitted bachelors degree so i dont dont know for which degree i got points, as i had more than enough points last time i did not care about 5 points more or less.
now i need 35 points for masters degree which is on pbs. does the caseworker gives points for what is on the form or what u have submitted, as in this case they consirdered your bachelors. if they have mistakenly given points to my bacehlors can i fight now for my masters degree which is on pbs.
thanks

That's not correct.

abhijitrunwal

Post by abhijitrunwal » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 am

do you always receive a letter if you apply from home country stating your points. i dont have the letter as i never recieved it. or one just receives the letter if one has some discreapancy. i am asking this question because i have appointment on 12th and have only 95 points required. if i dont get points on my masters degree i will not getbtier1 extension. also when i submitted my masters degree last time i had also submitted bachelors degree so i dont dont know for which degree i got points, as i had more than enough points last time i did not care about 5 points more or less.
now i need 35 points for masters degree which is on pbs. does the caseworker gives points for what is on the form or what u have submitted, as in this case they consirdered your bachelors. if they have mistakenly given points to my bacehlors can i fight now for my masters degree which is on pbs.