ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naric Assessment for indian Qulaification or a New Course?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hasin
Newly Registered

Naric Assessment for indian Qulaification or a New Course?

Post by hasin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi there,
Currently I'm a Stay-at-home-mum of 2 daughters,and i have moved into uk from india about 10 months ago on Tier1 Visa with my husband being a Doctor.
My Indian Quliafications:

B.Sc(CBZ) with 63% aggregate from Bangalore University.
GNIIT(Computer Course)a 3 year program.
M.Sc(I.T) from Karnataka State Open University.

As i had done GNIIT,i was given exemption from 1st year in M.Sc(I.T) by KSOU and i got my M.Sc through lateral entry,wherein i had to study only the 2nd year to get my masters.

My experience: totally 3 years of work experience.
I worked as a Faculty with NIIT for 2 years and then i worked as a Assistant Sales Manager for an IT Education Firm for 1 year.

Now to start a small job for myself in UK,i want to know where to begin having considering the fact that i have left working for nearly 7 years ago.

Can i send All the photocopies of my Qualifications to NARIC to get the Assessment Done?
Or should i start doing some small course to just get a job?(as i consider my IT Skills are almost redundant now)

Please help me as i'm totally confused.

Thank you so much for reading my post.
Regards
Hasin

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi Hasin,

I must applaud you for finally deciding its time to get back into building your career, thats the first step in the right direction.
As per your question, you should just start applying for jobs and see how it goes. You do not need get your skills certified by any body in the UK - thats only for doctors, teachers, specific engineering roles - where certifying skills are a must to work in the UK

I guess you asked the question because your hubby's a doctor but luckily for us IT people, lives are not dependant on our useless coding so you can just start job hunting :-)

Going about how you do it is the big challenge. Just go through a few posts before yours and there's some wonderful advice given by forum members
Key bits to keep in mind
1. Have an updated and appropriate CV for each role you apply for. Your CV is basically a selling tool - you are judged by what your CV says about you.
2. Be proactive, attend as many interviews as possible and brush up on your communication/technical skills
3. If salary is not important then take anything that comes along which interests you. Given you were out of the market for 7years, there's a lot to learn and pick up so might be easier to start lower down the ladder and then look out for better roles once you are confident of your skills

And finally, Dont lose heart and just keep applying and going for interviews. The more you attend, the better your chances of getting a role :-)

All the best
KP

hasin
Newly Registered

Post by hasin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:57 am

Dear kenfrapin,

Thank u so much for all ur encouragement!

It seems to be possible reading ur reply.

Thanks again!

Regards
hasin

hasin
Newly Registered

Dear KP

Post by hasin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am

Hi KP,

Thanks for ur prompt reply,as per ur suggestion,i went ahead reading some of the previous posts by other people in this forum.

I realised its indeed a great challenge to pursue getting a IT job in this country especially when i have lost 7 years.

KP,to brief u further,i actually went to a near by college to do some small time course only to get a job and to my surprise,the help desk people dint know which course and from which level i cud do start,as they dint know what is sslc or puc except B.Sc and they asked me to start from the basic level....which disheartened me completely as my indian qulaifications had no place in this country.
then i went on google to find if there is some information into which level my qualifications fall into and i came across NARIC.

I thought i will send all my Caertificates to NARIC and get an accredition done thru them and then go to any college here saying i fall into this level and i want to do this course starting from this level onwards....but before that i thought i will seek some guidance about this on this forum.

Since i have 2 girls to take care of and IT career can be heavily demanding,i thought i will forsake IT completely,and just start with something new like a child care course or teaching assistant course to begin with.

I still m not able to decide if i shud be doing this.
Please Guide.
Thank u so much for ur time!
Regards
Hasin

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Are you on Tier 1 or Tier 1 Dependent?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Hasin,

The UK is one of the best places to do a career change. As you detailed, in your case, its best to get your certifications confirmed by NARIC. As the course you are interested in is child care or teaching, both of which need specific skill sets by completing courses and getting certified as you complete each module, you first need to know which level you can start at.

For this reason, the institute, not knowing where you can begin from, suggested to start at the bottom. Once NARIC certifies your level, the institute can then advice you to chose the right level and also advice if you are exempt from certain papers within a specific module.

If you plan to change you career then go for it. In the end, all that matters is you do what you like and since IT is seriously outdated and boring, and you are starting afresh after so long, might as well go in for something different that interests you. Challenges for securing a good job is there everywhere no matter what field you work in so why not struggle for a role in an area of your interest. That will then push you to strive for a good result and help you secure a role much faster :-)

All the best
KP

hasin
Newly Registered

Dear KP

Post by hasin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks again for letting me clearify the distrubed air in my head,whether IT or Naric?

It seems like i should go ahead with NARIC to pursue the next step....

Will give the best possible ...
Thank u so much...
Regards
Hasin