ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Employed Tier 1 General Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maverick0422
Newly Registered

Self Employed Tier 1 General Extension

Post by maverick0422 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:07 pm

I am a Tier 1 General visa holder. My spouse is Tier 1 General dependant visa holder. I have to extend my visa in Sep 2012. For the same I need to show income proof for last 12 months.

I have formed a limited company for which I am the sole shareholder and director. My spouse is an employee of this limited company. Both of us work for different clients but send invoice from my limited company so that all payments comes to the same business bank account of my limited company. Both of us draw a tax friendly salary from this limited company. However, 100% of the dividend is send to me since I am the only shareholder. Based on the above circumstances is it legally possible for me to apply for Tier 1 General visa extension in Sep 2012 showing the dividend income as the income proof for last 12 months? Please advice. Many thanks I advance.

maverick0422
Newly Registered

Post by maverick0422 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

Please suggest a solution to my query...

saurabhrane
Newly Registered

Post by saurabhrane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 am

maverick0422 wrote:Please suggest a solution to my query...
Dividents can be claimed as earnings, in your case if u r the sole director of the company u can claim the dividents as well.

maverick0422
Newly Registered

Post by maverick0422 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 am

Many thanks saurabhrane. In my case the catch is both me and my spouse is invoicing through the same company but for different clients. But I am getting all the dividends while my spouse (who is Tier 1 dependent) is only an employee. Can I claim that 100% of the dividend earned by me as my earnings??

maverick0422
Newly Registered

Post by maverick0422 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 am

hi all.. any more view points on this thread??

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Re: Self Employed Tier 1 General Extension

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 pm

maverick0422 wrote:I am a Tier 1 General visa holder. My spouse is Tier 1 General dependant visa holder. I have to extend my visa in Sep 2012. For the same I need to show income proof for last 12 months.

I have formed a limited company for which I am the sole shareholder and director. My spouse is an employee of this limited company. Both of us work for different clients but send invoice from my limited company so that all payments comes to the same business bank account of my limited company. Both of us draw a tax friendly salary from this limited company. However, 100% of the dividend is send to me since I am the only shareholder. Based on the above circumstances is it legally possible for me to apply for Tier 1 General visa extension in Sep 2012 showing the dividend income as the income proof for last 12 months? Please advice. Many thanks I advance.
At present yr set up is fine

poit to note

1. u should be 100% owner of company
2. pay all PAYE Payments
3. hold name and adress of all yr clients
4. as far as take online transfer or cheque for yr services , no cash business unless u r a retailer
5. you should have good accountant who knows HO requirments

ALL THE BEST

tier1visaissues
Newly Registered

Help on tier 1 visa general extension required

Post by tier1visaissues » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

My situation is similar.

I am the sole director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I have been taking monthly net salary and dividend from the company bank account through online transfers. Also my accountant issues a online payslip that shows both salary and dividend payment. He also looks after PAYE, tax and NIC.

Now for tier1 (general) extension, is it okay if I send the following documents?:

1. Payslips printouts
2. Bank statements showing monthly net payments

Also since the payslips are online, who should sign it as ukba website says it needs to be signed and stamped. Stamp is okay, but since I am the only director and shareholder, should I sign it myself? Not sure, becuase it is possible conflict of interest.

Should I also include letter from accountant?

Do I classify as employee or self employed as I am the only director?

Should I send any other supporting evidence for earnings?

Please provide answers to my queries. Many thanks in advance.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Re: Help on tier 1 visa general extension required

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 pm

tier1visaissues wrote:My situation is similar.

I am the sole director and sole shareholder of a limited company. I have been taking monthly net salary and dividend from the company bank account through online transfers. Also my accountant issues a online payslip that shows both salary and dividend payment. He also looks after PAYE, tax and NIC.

Now for tier1 (general) extension, is it okay if I send the following documents?:

1. Payslips printouts
2. Bank statements showing monthly net payments

if these salary from self managed company than

redy with

A/CS
BANKS STMTS -BUSINESS
PAYE PAYMENTS PROOFS

Also since the payslips are online, who should sign it as ukba website says it needs to be signed and stamped. Stamp is okay, but since I am the only director and shareholder, should I sign it myself? Not sure, becuase it is possible conflict of interest.

Should I also include letter from accountant?

Do I classify as employee or self employed as I am the only director?

Self employed no need to pay ni -2 £2.2 / week if u r director of a company

if sole trader , yes you have tp pay £2.2 ni / week

Should I send any other supporting evidence for earnings?

Please provide answers to my queries. Many thanks in advance.
CDOKS

tier1visaissues
Newly Registered

Post by tier1visaissues » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Thank you Sushil ji for your reply.

I am little confused though.

1. Its a limited company, I am a director.. do i still need to send the company bank statements? As I am a director which is like being a employee of the company, I was hoping that the payslips and personal bank statements showing net payments will be good enough? Do i need to send company bank statements as well - if yes, then pls clarify why?

2. What about attesting the payslips? can i do so being the director of the company or should my accountant do it?

3. Also, since i am the director, I believe I am an employee. But Since I am the sole director, am I self employed as well?

I would appreciate your help on this. Many thanks.

antony

Post by antony » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi frnd,
Please find my replies in blue.
tier1visaissues wrote:Thank you Sushil ji for your reply.

1. Its a limited company, I am a director.. do i still need to send the company bank statements? As I am a director which is like being a employee of the company, I was hoping that the payslips and personal bank statements showing net payments will be good enough? Do i need to send company bank statements as well - if yes, then pls clarify why?

Ans = Its ideal to send the Business bank statements (which shows gross for the stated period and can be cross verified by the Invoice been charged) as you are running a SME (small and medium enterprise). Note: Moderator please advice if this is correct

2. What about attesting the payslips? can i do so being the director of the company or should my accountant do it?

Ans = If you have a company secretary then, they can sign the payslip (if you are using a personal bank account to transfer your salary / didivends from business bank account). But if you are the Director of the Limited company and want to show Business bank statements cross verified with personal bank statements, then you may rather have the A) invoice and the B) Business bank statements to show the proof of earnings for the Limited company. Guidance notes of Tier 1 application page 27 of 47 says the following:

A) Invoice section vii) Invoice explanations or payment summaries from the applicant’s accountant. These are summaries or explanations created by an applicant’s accountant. These explanations should include a breakdown of the gross salary, tax deductions and dividend payments made to the applicant. The total gross salary and dividend payments should be the same as the applicant’s earnings. The payment summary should enable us to check that these correspond with the net payments into the applicant’s personal bank account. All accountants must be either fully qualified chartered accountants or certified accountants who are members of a registered body, see section on providing evidence from an accountant or accountancy firm.

B) Business Bank statements ix) , Business bank statements showing the payments made to the applicant: Bank statements provided must be on official bank stationery, and must show each of the payments that the applicant is claiming. If the applicant wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account he/ she should also provide a supporting letter from the bank on company headed paper confirming that the documents are authentic.

3. Also, since i am the director, I believe I am an employee. But Since I am the sole director, am I self employed as well?

Ans = Not sure if the sole Director can be called as Self-employed. But depends on the structure that you have formed. You can better check with the accountant who knows the Home office requirements. If you follow the standard practice most contractors do as ...

Director of Limited company (sole shareholder of company) => Also pays to self via salary (minimum monthly amount) and remaining funds in form of Dividends.
Note: The Dividends can be in form of every month OR can be Quarterly.

Again moderators please provide your expert advice on the responses if you think otherwise.
If the opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

tier1visaissues
Newly Registered

Post by tier1visaissues » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 pm

antony wrote:Hi frnd,
Please find my replies in blue.
tier1visaissues wrote:Thank you Sushil ji for your reply.

Ans = Its ideal to send the Business bank statements (which shows gross for the stated period and can be cross verified by the Invoice been charged) as you are running a SME (small and medium enterprise). Note: Moderator please advice if this is correct

Ans = If you have a company secretary then, they can sign the payslip (if you are using a personal bank account to transfer your salary / didivends from business bank account). But if you are the Director of the Limited company and want to show Business bank statements cross verified with personal bank statements, then you may rather have the A) invoice and the B) Business bank statements to show the proof of earnings for the Limited company. Guidance notes of Tier 1 application page 27 of 47 says the following:

A) Invoice section vii) Invoice explanations or payment summaries from the applicant’s accountant. These are summaries or explanations created by an applicant’s accountant. These explanations should include a breakdown of the gross salary, tax deductions and dividend payments made to the applicant. The total gross salary and dividend payments should be the same as the applicant’s earnings. The payment summary should enable us to check that these correspond with the net payments into the applicant’s personal bank account. All accountants must be either fully qualified chartered accountants or certified accountants who are members of a registered body, see section on providing evidence from an accountant or accountancy firm.

B) Business Bank statements ix) , Business bank statements showing the payments made to the applicant: Bank statements provided must be on official bank stationery, and must show each of the payments that the applicant is claiming. If the applicant wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account he/ she should also provide a supporting letter from the bank on company headed paper confirming that the documents are authentic.

Ans = Not sure if the sole Director can be called as Self-employed. But depends on the structure that you have formed. You can better check with the accountant who knows the Home office requirements. If you follow the standard practice most contractors do as ...

Director of Limited company (sole shareholder of company) => Also pays to self via salary (minimum monthly amount) and remaining funds in form of Dividends.
Note: The Dividends can be in form of every month OR can be Quarterly.

Again moderators please provide your expert advice on the responses if you think otherwise.
Thank you for your reply.

I was told by a consultant today that since, Director is an office i.e an employee who is paid in basic salary as well as dividend, payslips (that shows both basic salary and dividend) plus personal bank statement showing net payments along with payment summaries from accountant would suffice. The consultant showed me this section in guidenance note (Pg 26 pf 44):

Employees who receive a salary and
dividend payments:
• If the applicant is paid with a combination
of salary and dividends, and both
payments appear on the applicant’s
payslip, this employee could provide:
• personal bank statements for the full 12-
month earnings period

Since business bank statement would mean that I am self employed and that would make me put more documents like NIC documents.

What do you think? do i still need business bank statements? Please advice.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:59 pm

BANK Statements r third party proof r required in all situation to cement transaction, speically in scrutiny case
CDOKS

tier1visaissues
Newly Registered

Post by tier1visaissues » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Sushil,

I am providing personal bank statements and payslips along with with accountant letter.

I am worried to provide business bank account statement as it would mean I am claiming earnings for business and create confusions.

As a third party proof, do you think personal bank statements will be enough?

Kind reply. Thanks.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:13 am

things r not moving as u want
CDOKS

antony

Post by antony » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 am

tier1visaissues wrote:Sushil,

I am providing personal bank statements and payslips along with with accountant letter.

I am worried to provide business bank account statement as it would mean I am claiming earnings for business and create confusions.

As a third party proof, do you think personal bank statements will be enough?

Kind reply. Thanks.
If so, are you planning to use the Personal bank statements corraborated with (pay-slips + Dividend vouchers) reflecting the salary and Dividends?

please advice.

antony

Post by antony » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:55 am

I was just going through the new changes outlined in the UKBA Home office website.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Page 61 of 67:[Amendments to bring existing requirements into the Immigration Rules]
That, if an individual is claiming earnings from self-employment in the UK, they must demonstrate that they are registered for self-employment in the UK.
Hence, Just want to know if an individual is operating through a Limited company, Does the company need to be registered as Self-employment with HMRC. This is to comply with the HMRC rules and regulations.

Seniors, Could you please advice on the above principle from Home office while preparing for visa extension?

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 pm

antony wrote:I was just going through the new changes outlined in the UKBA Home office website.

Page 61 of 67:[Amendments to bring existing requirements into the Immigration Rules]
That, if an individual is claiming earnings from self-employment in the UK, they must demonstrate that they are registered for self-employment in the UK.
Hence, Just want to know if an individual is operating through a Limited company, Does the company need to be registered as Self-employment with HMRC. This is to comply with the HMRC rules and regulations.

Seniors, Could you please advice on the above principle from Home office while preparing for visa extension?
HMRC KEEP file of each entity that is regidtration of HMRC IN CASE OF LTD they write to directors for accounting period with hmrc no.
CDOKS

uker
Newly Registered

Post by uker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:
antony wrote:I was just going through the new changes outlined in the UKBA Home office website.

HMRC KEEP file of each entity that is regidtration of HMRC IN CASE OF LTD they write to directors for accounting period with hmrc no.
im in same position, should i calssify myself as self employment? i called HRMC to register, they said that they can not register for you, you are not self employment, you are employee in your own company.