ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of a British citizen or not?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Camellia

Spouse of a British citizen or not?

Post by Camellia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm

I am an EU national who has just become a British citizen. My husband is a non-EU national who was issued with a PR card few months ago. Is he now eligible to apply for British Citizenship as a spouse of a British Citizen? Or is he required to apply through EU route and hence to wait 12 months since his PR card was issued?

I have done some reading myself but I am still in doubt. Can anyone help please?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse of a British citizen or not?

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Camellia wrote:Is he now eligible to apply for British Citizenship as a spouse of a British Citizen?
Yes.

regards

Camellia

Post by Camellia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank you for your reply sushdmehta.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Camellia,
I applied using this route. I'm non european and applied same day as my partner got his british citizenship. I'm waiting for the outcome of my application.

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Glauco wrote:Camellia,
I applied using this route. I'm non european and applied same day as my partner got his british citizenship. I'm waiting for the outcome of my application.
I noticed in the BC time-line thread that you applied by post. So same day application when your partner got the BC means you sent the original nationality certificate of your partner and your partner yet to apply for the British passport?

Camellia

Post by Camellia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Glauco wrote:Camellia, I applied using this route. I'm non european and applied same day as my partner got his british citizenship. I'm waiting for the outcome of my application.
I was really confused because I thought for some reason that I need to be a British citizen for 3 years and then my husband will be eligible for naturalisation, anyway thank you for your input and good luck with your application!
nax_72 wrote: I noticed in the BC time-line thread that you applied by post. So same day application when your partner got the BC means you sent the original nationality certificate of your partner and your partner yet to apply for the British passport?
My husband will apply using NCS so that I can keep my naturalisation certificate to apply for passport, but how your partner will apply for the passport Glauco?

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi nax_72,
Yes, you are corrected.
I provided his original nationality certificate and the civil partnership certificate. So it proves then that I am his family member and that he is a British Citizen.

I called the UKBA and they said that this is OK to do this way.
I enquired specifically on sending the application without his passport (as he didn't apply for one yet). And they said it should be OK. Also people in the forum advised that it should be alright as a British passport is a travel document, and not a pre-condition to be a british citizen.

I will let you all know the outcome of my application as soon as possible. Either being successful or denied.

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Glauco wrote:Hi nax_72,
Yes, you are corrected.
I provided his original nationality certificate and the civil partnership certificate. So it proves then that I am his family member and that he is a British Citizen.

I called the UKBA and they said that this is OK to do this way.
I enquired specifically on sending the application without his passport (as he didn't apply for one yet). And they said it should be OK. Also people in the forum advised that it should be alright as a British passport is a travel document, and not a pre-condition to be a british citizen.

I will let you all know the outcome of my application as soon as possible. Either being successful or denied.
Thanks for the details. I have now applied for me & our two kids. Once I have mine my wife will apply.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Camellia,

No, as long as your husband has Permanent Residence and you are a British Citizen, then he will be able to apply.
No need to wait 3 years.

I sent his original certificate in the post, and he will wait to get it back before applying for the passport. Hopefully just a couple of weeks more!

Camellia

Post by Camellia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

Thank you Glauco. I am sure you will receive the approval very soon, all the best!