ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for Citizenship Application (de facto/marriage)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OJlish
Newly Registered

Advice for Citizenship Application (de facto/marriage)

Post by OJlish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi all

I'm glad I came across this forum while searching for answers regarding citizenship. Looking for some advice

So here's the scoop. My situation is a bit complicated but aren't they all! I've been in Ireland for 9 years now and here's my immigration status:
Dependent 03/07/2002 – 13/09/2002 = 3 months
Visitor 26/08/2002 – 27/10/2003 = 13 months
Student 29/10/2003 – 15/01/2009
De Facto 28/05/2009 – 22/05/2010 = 12 months
De Facto 25/05/2010 – 25/05/2011 = 12 months

Basically I have two ways I can apply for citizenship:

1. arrived in the state as a minor and applying as an adult not older than 23 years and entered the State as a member of a family unit
2. in January 2013 (I think) when I get my 5yrs reckonable residence

The only issue I see with my first option is that I am now 23 going 24 this October. I recently rang Crosscare about it and they told me that the cut off age is actually before you turn 23 but yet to confirm with INIS.

Q1. Can anyone confirm the cut off age? I would've applied years ago had I known the minor route was possible. Very annoyed when I found out just now when it's possibly too late :(
Q2. When counting reckonable residence, do you count the months or the days? I read somewhere in this forum that the days missing in the month isn't important. It's still counted as a month.
Q3. Does the de facto route have a different reckonable residence requirement or is it the same as normal.. 5 years? I know spouses get 3 years.
Q4. What happens if we do get married? Do I still need to meet the 3 years of marriage requirement or does the years living together with my stamp 4 count?
Q5. Would it be quicker if I just waited until I get the rest of my reckonable residence since it will be based on our relationship (i'm guessing) instead of applying through the minor route?

More info: My parents are still here on work permits. My mum's actually waiting for their decision on her citizenship application. My dad's having bad luck with his applications getting sent back for errors. My bf and I will be living together for 5 years in August. He has a full-time job and currently supporting me while I finish my final year in college but I've also been working on and off since I was 16

Any tips, recommendations, experiences welcome :)

Cheers

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm

i can answer only to the following:
Q2. When counting reckonable residence, do you count the months or the days? I read somewhere in this forum that the days missing in the month isn't important. It's still counted as a month.
IT IS COUNTED IN MONTHS, JUST AS YOU WROTE.
Q3. Does the de facto route have a different reckonable residence requirement or is it the same as normal.. 5 years? I know spouses get 3 years.
YOU WOULD NEED 5 YEARS BEFORE APPLYING. ANY TIME SPENT ON STAMP 3 OR STAMP 4 IS COUNTED. STAMP 2 IS NOT COUNTED.
Q4. What happens if we do get married? Do I still need to meet the 3 years of marriage requirement or does the years living together with my stamp 4 count?
IF YOU GOT MARRIED, YOU WOULD HAVE TO WAIT 3 YEARS BEFORE APPLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP AS A SPOUSE OF IRISH NATIONAL

OJlish
Newly Registered

Post by OJlish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm

agniukas wrote: Q4. What happens if we do get married? Do I still need to meet the 3 years of marriage requirement or does the years living together with my stamp 4 count?
IF YOU GOT MARRIED, YOU WOULD HAVE TO WAIT 3 YEARS BEFORE APPLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP AS A SPOUSE OF IRISH NATIONAL
Just as I feared. We don't particularly want to rush into marriage. I may as well apply for my citizenship now IF I can with the minor route. If I don't I'll only be able to apply for citizenship in 2013 and with processing time won't find out if I get it or not until I'm 29 - that would be 15 years since I moved here :/

Thanks so much for that. Really appreciate your help :)