ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry Clearance for HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alisondc

Entry Clearance for HSMP

Post by alisondc » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm at the point of EC and wanted to know how to address my living situation in the application.

I will be staying with family friends when i move over and they will not be charging me rent (they are like second partents). I've heard that i should include a letter from them stating that i will be living with them and that i will have my own rooms. Should they also include a nominal rent payment?

What have other people done?

Thanks,
AlisonDC

madmax
Newly Registered

Re: Entry Clearance for HSMP

Post by madmax » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:49 pm

I haven't seen the EC application yet, but I guess if you are staying with friends or family, you don't have to show a hefty bank balance, but I would think that the consulate will be equally keen to find out about the supporting ability of your hosts. I think they may ask for your host's papers - may be tax or atleast a statement of support.
In fact they asked that even for the visitor visa which I have obtained twice in the past few years; for the first one I used a statement of support from host and for the second one, I showed my bank balance only.
Re: rent, since this is supposed to be a temporary arrangement for you, you shouldn't have to necessarily pay anything at all - again this is a guess.
Are there other options by the way ? If sponsor's statement is not supplied, what is a good bank balance to show for a family of 3 ? Does anyone know ?

alisondc

Post by alisondc » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:52 pm

madmex,

What i've read on other forums is that there isn't necessarily a set amount of funds you need to support yourself (or your dependents) but that it is extremely helpful to provide them with a proposed monthly budget. I should have roughly 3,500-4,000 GBP by the time I move over. They basically want to see proof that you and/or your dependents wil not go on state subsidies. I've drawn up a budget which includes the following categories:

Rent
Utilities/Council Tax
Food
West Yorkshire Metro Pass (monthly)
Job search expenses
Mobile phone
Medications
Student Loan back in America
Laundry
Incidentials/entertainment

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Alisondc

jaywat513
Newly Registered

Post by jaywat513 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:47 am

Alison,

Keep us posted on how that goes for you. I was so focused on getting the HSMP that I haven't done much research on the EC portion of it. I am intrested to see how much of an ordeal it is for us here in the US.

Also, would it be better to omit your student loans?

madmax
Newly Registered

Post by madmax » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:15 am

alisondc wrote:madmex,

I've drawn up a budget which includes the following categories:

Rent
Utilities/Council Tax
Food
West Yorkshire Metro Pass (monthly)
Job search expenses
Mobile phone
Medications
Student Loan back in America
Laundry
Incidentials/entertainment

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Alisondc
alisondc,
Is it really required to draw up a detailed budget like you did ? I.e Does someone at the british consulate want you to balance domestic accounts to prove that your cash balance should be sufficient for a couple of months? May be they go by thumb rules. If so, this should be available, say thru' something like a cost of living index for various locations in the UK.
Can a moderator or someone knowledgeable in this area help ?

madmax
Newly Registered

Post by madmax » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:19 am

The following link seems like a good starting point to estimate cost of livingin the UK:

http://www.workgateways.com/working-cost-of-living.html

alisondc

Post by alisondc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm

madmex,

I've not seen any requirement that you must draw up a budget, but many people on other forums have highly recommended it. As i said before, they want to know that you and your dependents won't go on state subsidy. If you have a job lined up then i don't think it is as necessary. But in my case i will be moving over to look so i've heard that showing them i have thought through my expenses for the next 6 months illustrates my committment and ability to support myself.

As for including my student loan, i went back and forth over whether to include. In the end i figured that honesty is the best policy. if they do a credit check they will see that i've got that committment anyhow, plus in my monthly bank statement there is clearly a monthly deduction to "the Student Loan Corp" so they already know i pay it.

What experiences have some of the moderators had in applying for their EC?