ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What happens when passport expires?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jems
Newly Registered

What happens when passport expires?

Post by jems » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi, apologies if I am posting in wrong section, please divert if so? My husband received ILR a couple of weeks back, great news! Only question is we were talking to a friend of ours who also has ILR whose passport was due to expire and he mentioned various trips to various places costing quite a bit to get a new residence permit for renewed passport. What happens when my husbands passport expires? Please could you point me in right direction if there is already some advice on here. Its is several years until it expires so there is no great urgency but it would be good to know what we need to do and how much we need to look at saving if there is a cost. Many thanks.

xyz123

Re: What happens when passport expires?

Post by xyz123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm

jems wrote:Hi, apologies if I am posting in wrong section, please divert if so? My husband received ILR a couple of weeks back, great news! Only question is we were talking to a friend of ours who also has ILR whose passport was due to expire and he mentioned various trips to various places costing quite a bit to get a new residence permit for renewed passport. What happens when my husbands passport expires? Please could you point me in right direction if there is already some advice on here. Its is several years until it expires so there is no great urgency but it would be good to know what we need to do and how much we need to look at saving if there is a cost. Many thanks.
All you need is a new passport. Your country's embassy will return old passport with new passport. All that means is that you need to carry more than one passport on all journeys that you make.

if this is too much hassle for someone, you can get visa transfered but its not mandatory. Fee starts from £250 for postal application and £750 for premimum applications.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... -passport/

jems
Newly Registered

Post by jems » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

thanks, good to know. Now I don't understand why our friend paid all that money when he could just travel with old passport. I wonder if he even knew that!