ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help - HSMP->Tier-1->ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Help - HSMP->Tier-1->ILR

Post by sreenikesh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Hello all,

I initially entered UK in 2008 on HSMP visa for 2 years, extended for 3 years period to Tier-1 in 2009. In order to apply for PR, I am short of 5 days as I entered UK on 35th day from the date of issue of my HSMP.

My queries are:
1. Should I go in for another extension just for 5 days ?
2. If so, In which category will I be assessed, ie: Minimum education qualification assessment for Tier-1 is Masters. So will I be assessment under Masters or my initial HSMP which requires only Bachelors degree.

Please advice.
Niki.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

I think if you put in the mail...like second class or something, you should be ok...as its from the time you mailed the application. But pls consult some of the senior members for guidnace on this.

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Help - HSMP->Tier-1->PR

Post by sreenikesh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Sorry chosenaik I never got your point. Can you please explain more clearly.

What I mean is since I do not have Masters degree and the new Tier-1 require the same, will I qualify for another extension. If so, can I apply with my Bachelors degree that I used for my initial HSMP visa.

Regards,
Niki.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Im saying that I dont think you need to apply for an extension. You should just apply for ILR.

If you are short by 5 days, put it through mail and payment by cheque to buy more time.

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

chosenaik

Post by sreenikesh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello,

Thats the confusion as the policy guidance says that I need to complete 5 years inorder to be eligible for PR. But I am short of 5 days.

Can anyone please help . Does anyone else face the same issue. Please shower your experience.

Thanks.
Niki.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Help - HSMP->Tier-1->PR

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:24 pm

sreenikesh wrote:1. Should I go in for another extension just for 5 days ?
Possible solution (assuming no changes in the interim):
vinny wrote:Under current directions, you should apply for an extension before your leave expires. However, if they haven't decided by the time you are eligible for ILR, then you may vary your application to ILR.
sreenikesh wrote:2. If so, In which category will I be assessed, ie: Minimum education qualification assessment for Tier-1 is Masters. So will I be assessment under Masters or my initial HSMP which requires only Bachelors degree.
Refer to the policy guidance in force at the time of your (extension) application.

regards

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 pm

chosenaik wrote:Im saying that I dont think you need to apply for an extension. You should just apply for ILR.

If you are short by 5 days, put it through mail and payment by cheque to buy more time.
But the date of application will still be the date of posting the documents.

Consider what sushdmehta has suggested above, instead.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

bani

Re: Help - HSMP->Tier-1->ILR

Post by bani » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

sreenikesh wrote:Hello all,

I initially entered UK in 2008 on HSMP visa for 2 years, extended for 3 years period to Tier-1 in 2009.
Did you enter in 2008 or 2007? (otherwise, how would you complete 2 years by 2009)
What date did you apply for HSMP?
The answer makes a big difference whether you will need a second extension or not.

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Post by sreenikesh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:44 am

Hello Bani,

I entered in 2008 and it should ideally expire in 2010 but I went ahead of 5 months for my extension (3 years). But since I entered UK on 35th day from the date of issue of my visa, I miss the five year term by 5 days.

So my questions are :
1. Should I go in for 2nd extension.
2 If so, what is my criteria for education - Masters or Bachelors. My minimum educational qualification when I went for initial HSMP was Bachelors but when I applied for extension , the visa got changed to Tier-1 wherein the minimum requirement became Masters. I do not have Masters degree now.

So which one should I take - initial HSMP's or extension Tier-1 's requirement ?

Hope its sounds better. Please clarify.

Niki.

bani

Post by bani » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Unfortunately, you'll have to go with a second extension.

AFAIK, you will follow the criteria used in your previous extension. But that may change.
sreenikesh wrote:Hello Bani,

I entered in 2008 and it should ideally expire in 2010 but I went ahead of 5 months for my extension (3 years). But since I entered UK on 35th day from the date of issue of my visa, I miss the five year term by 5 days.

So my questions are :
2 If so, what is my criteria for education - Masters or Bachelors. My minimum educational qualification when I went for initial HSMP was Bachelors but when I applied for extension , the visa got changed to Tier-1 wherein the minimum requirement became Masters. I do not have Masters degree now.

So which one should I take - initial HSMP's or extension Tier-1 's requirement ?

Niki.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 pm

I think you should also look in to the idea of mailing the application and paying by a cheque. mail will take 2 days at least to deliver and cheque will take time to clear too. That will easily be 5 days.

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:51 pm

chosenaik wrote:I think you should also look in to the idea of mailing the application and paying by a cheque. mail will take 2 days at least to deliver and cheque will take time to clear too. That will easily be 5 days.
You would only qualify for the ILR sometime in 2013, depending on when you entered in the UK. But since you went for an early extension you would need a second extension as the current (i.e. 1st extension) would only take you to 2012. Regarding which rules would be applicable I am think it would be the same as your 1st extension.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am

sreenikesh wrote:Hello Bani,

So my questions are :

Niki.
How are you saying that, the extension criteria is different now? Did you try point based calculator? Are you not getting points according to your initial application?

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Post by sreenikesh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all your informations.

Jimmy,

What will you enter the date in the field 'Enter the date of your first successful tier 1 application' in points calculator in UKBA site.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

My HSMP date is Jan 2008 and My Tier-1 visa date is Nov 2009. What will I enter in this field?

Thanks,
Niki.

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Post by sreenikesh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello all,

Any views on the above query please.

ie:

What will you enter the date in the field 'Enter the date of your first successful tier 1 application' in points calculator in UKBA site.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

My HSMP date is Jan 2008 and My Tier-1 visa date is Nov 2009. What will I enter in this field?

Thanks in advance.
Niki.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 am

Yes, Sree,

See if you read the help of that carefully, you will find out your answer.

Points-based calculator - help
Enter the date you first successfully applied under Tier 1 of the points-based system.

If you are applying under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system this must be on or after 29 February 2008. If you first successfully applied under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), Self Employed Lawyers concession or the Writers, composers and artists category and you are applying under Tier 1 (General) enter 29 February 2008.

Hope it clarifies you now, you need to enter 29 Feb 2008 and i am sure you will get the point on the basis of initial application.

Hope it helps.

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Post by sreenikesh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Jimmy,

This sounds great to me. Thanks a lot for your clarification.

All,

Is there anyone who went for 2nd extension. If so, for how many years did you get it stamped. Please clarify.

Thanks
Niki.

vik_mad

Re: Help - HSMP->Tier-1->ILR

Post by vik_mad » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

sreenikesh wrote:Hello all,

I initially entered UK in 2008 on HSMP visa for 2 years, extended for 3 years period to Tier-1 in 2009. In order to apply for PR, I am short of 5 days as I entered UK on 35th day from the date of issue of my HSMP.

My queries are:
1. Should I go in for another extension just for 5 days ?
2. If so, In which category will I be assessed, ie: Minimum education qualification assessment for Tier-1 is Masters. So will I be assessment under Masters or my initial HSMP which requires only Bachelors degree.

Please advice.
Niki.
Hi Niki,

Further to your calculation, i am not sure how have you calculated 5 days short. I am really confused about this. My story is the same i arrived on the 33rd day.

could you please advise me the calculation?
Many thanks,

sreenikesh
Newly Registered

Post by sreenikesh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Hello Vik,

The calculation is straight forward.

Lets say, you had a valid visa from 01-Jan-2008 and your 5 year completion date will be on 31-Dec-2012. You need to enter (or be in ) UK atleast on 28th day ie: according to this example its by 28th Jan 2008. If not, then you lack those many days to be eligible to apply for ILR. Hence need to go for another extension (2nd extension).

Hope this is clear.

Dear Friends,

Please let me know for how long the 2nd extension is valid for 1 or 2 years?

Thanks.
Niki.

vik_mad

Post by vik_mad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm

sreenikesh wrote:Hello Vik,

The calculation is straight forward.

Lets say, you had a valid visa from 01-Jan-2008 and your 5 year completion date will be on 31-Dec-2012. You need to enter (or be in ) UK atleast on 28th day ie: according to this example its by 28th Jan 2008. If not, then you lack those many days to be eligible to apply for ILR. Hence need to go for another extension (2nd extension).

Hope this is clear.

Dear Friends,

Thanks.
Niki.
Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the explanation, I got my visa on 31/05/2007 and entered UK on 04/07/2007 so on the 07th day. I am also short of 6 days so i think will have to extend my stay. or go via the postal method but again you will always have the worry back of you mind for 3-4 month untill you get your passports back.

Re your question. I am not sure of the answer however lets see what senior says.
Thanks,

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Nikki, In your case, it will be valid for 2 years.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 am

sushdmehta wrote:
sreenikesh wrote:1. Should I go in for another extension just for 5 days ?
Possible solution (assuming no changes in the interim):
vinny wrote:Under current directions, you should apply for an extension before your leave expires. However, if they haven't decided by the time you are eligible for ILR, then you may vary your application to ILR.
See also From 06-Apr-11
Life isn't fair, but you can be!