ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian & UK residencies at a time

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Canadian & UK residencies at a time

Post by NMSheikh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:24 pm

Hi all,

I am a Pakistani National, settled in UK for about 4 years (close to ILR). I was initially on WP and later on shifted to HSMP. At the moment I am on HSMP extension.

Last year I applied for Canadian Immigration and now I am close to be called for the medical, as the only additional requirement of CIC office was the English language test and I passed my IELTS with band 8.

I applied for CIC only as a back up plan i.e. in case I am unable to get ILR or citizenship later (due to whatsoever reason) or if I find Canadian job market better than UK’s after one-year time, I may move there. At the moment UK seems better than Canada (this is only my point of view), but still I want to keep my options open.

Questions I my mind are;

1) Will my permanent residency in UK effect Canadian Immigration or vice versa (i.e. will Canadian Residency effect my case for ILR?), as it might be seen as a contrast to my intentions to make UK as my home, which is partially true as my current intentions to make UK my home might loose the strength as career prospects in UK are currently not that attractive like these were 3-4 years ago.

2) Can a Pakistani national retain two residencies (UK & Canadian) at a time?

3) Can a dual national (PK+UK) also keep Canadian residency?

Please share your views and information on this.

Regards

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:17 pm

1. Canadian Visa Office will not be interested in your HSMP - they only ask about immigration status to ensure you are legally in the UK. Home Office not interested in your Can PR for UK ILR application unless such has impacted on the required residence time in a category leading to settlement.

2. You cannot be a PR of multiple countries indefinitley - you will eventually fail the residence requirement for one or more of these countries unless you know how to be in 2 places at the same time 8) . To maintain Can PR you must be physically present in Canada for 730 days = 2 years in every five year rolling period. To maintain UK ILR you cannot be outside the UK for more than two years. Leaving the UK for nearly 2 years then returning then going out again to repeat the cycle just to maintain ILR eventually fails.

3. Yes if you meet the 2/5 yr rule. Ultimatley obtaining both UK and Can citizenship eliminates the residence requirement. Under the current Citizenship Act you have to have been a Can PR and resided in Canada for 1095 day = 3 yrs for the 4 yrs preeceding your application. Depending on the job situation and adaptation of you/ your family to life there it may or may not be an enjoyable process just to get Can Citizenship.

canvis2004
Newly Registered

UK is Better...

Post by canvis2004 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:45 am

Since you are working/living in the UK, I believe that UK would be better for you.If you move to Canada, you might not be able to find employment in your field even if you have UK work experience and/or education.
Immigrants with US education/experience fail to find good jobs in their fields here unless they have personal references which can get them IN the workplace.
Here they want Canadian Education and/or Experience.
I am not trying to scare you or anyone else, but this is a reality which I have seen here in Canada.Qualified Pakistani professionals who immigrated here have to get Canadian qualifications in order to get a job in their fields.

Personally I would suggest that you will be better in the UK because you will have to start all over again in Canada.

Meriem
Newly Registered

????????

Post by Meriem » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi all,

what is
Kayalami wrote:1. HSMP.
HSMP?

Thanks for clarifying that!

Meriem.