ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kasun
Newly Registered

Post by Kasun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm

jlewisunh wrote:kind of disappointing. mr porter and mr scott said they'd be willing to reduce it to one year. that isnt looking out for international students' rights!!! although they did say the obvious: that one year isn't really sufficient on the grounds that employers wouldn't take the time to train and recruit someone if the position is only for one year.

i dont get it. all the members are concerned that master's and phd students would be working the tills at tesco, as they said. so leave those jobs for the people who do them currently. as i have said before, they could just give psw for two years as it is now to only graduate students. that would work because grad students are NOT going to work at tesco. if they cant find work they'll just go home but they're not going to take on those types of jobs.

another edit: a woman on the panel JUST said exactly what i did. those students will go home if they cant find jobs. they wont work at tesco.

yet another edit: 12:08 is soooooo damaging.
First of all during my studies, I was a customer assistant at Tescos. I have worked in weekends in the tills scanning thousands of items per day. It wasn't for gain the ROI, but for earning some pocket money. As a postgraduate in IT, my skillset wasn't even a nearly match to my job at Tesco, though I never wanna insult my x-job. It was just a temporary revenue generator and a cooler way to expose to British culture.

Soon after submitting my dissertation, I got an opportunity to work for a start up software company and become a developer. Then I quite my Tescos job and take my preferred industry and career path. I am hoping to continue working after obtaining my PSW. well, that's my story and I just wanna say to Damien Green or any other person who counts non-EU international graduates as trash, that we are not here for steal your precious jobs, we are here to contribute our knowledge and take some experience.

Lib Dems and Tories are just playing the people and addressing wrong sides of problems. Any person with some average common sense (there are exceptions like Damien Green) know the real immigration issues related students caused by bogus colleges and fake students.

1. Why the government can ban the colleges at first place? If they can rate and give sponsor licenses to them, why can't they disallow. Seriously, I think there should be a untold story.

2. Why are they going to penalise genuine students, the facts are clearly showing the statistics that students who are coming to less reputable colleges making the mess.

These things seems like crystal clear to ordinary people, only Damien Greens are sucked to understand them. bollocks.

tusso

Post by tusso » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:08 pm

fibreman wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:HAHA this is so annoying! the very end of the meeting, they ask Green if there will be an announcement on the 16th of march...that is the DAY I AM APPLYING !!! and of course he wouldnt answer...he said there is no firm date set but he did not say no announcement would come on march 16th. and the other one kept saying 'ok so no announcement on march 16th' and green kept saying no firm date is set blah. man the timing couldnt be any worse for my application.
So, basically, you announce at end of march, and rules start in like 1 week or so? That's crap... tier one cancellation was known months ahead. This can't be. We need to be given time.
Not really... even though they stated they wanted to set the rules in april so that they apply to new students, I dont think they were expecting so many responses and concerns about the policy... Its interesting to see how Damian Green acted and looked when he announced these proposals and now when he is being questioned and put into the spotlight for not having reliable evidence... It's all in the air so far, implementing these new changes takes time, its not that easy to alter the visa protocols and stuff from all the concerning agencies overnight... So lets see how this works out...

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Govt. Loses Court Battle Again:

"Justice Holman told the High Court in London that the education secretary had acted unlawfully in failing to consult local authorities over the decision and had broken the law by failing to give "due regard" to equality legislation."
"In my view, the way in which the Secretary of State abruptly stopped the projects ... without any prior consultation ... must be characterised as being so unfair as to amount to an abuse of power."

http://www.facebook.com/ISAUK10

Kingstonking
Newly Registered

Post by Kingstonking » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:50 pm

HarshaDV wrote:I Emailed the following letter to my local MP:

Dear XXXX MP,

I am a Masters Student at The London School of Economics due to graduate in July 2011. I am an international student from India.
Recieved quite a satisfying reply today:

Dear Harsha,

Thank you for your E Mail.

As You should be aware, the matter is currently under investigation and frankly, though I have some insights, there is a strict Parliamentary convention in the House of Commons not to disclose elimentary affairs before being made public.

We will raise the issue in the Parliament and it is highly unlikely that any changes will come without transitional arrangements. The nature and degree of these arrangements is surely a subject of anxiety for you; but in the mean time, may I suggest you to concentrate on your studies and to do well with your careers.

Best of Luck.

XXXX
Harsha, Thank you for this little nugget of information. Although, this is nothing black and white its certainly very encouraging.

Just like many of you here, I am an international student studying on a masters level at a well known London university. ill be finishing the course in sept2011 and hopefully apply for PSW in Nov2011. After investing all my life savings and borrowed money, I am very anxious to find out if I would be granted the right i never thought id have to struggle for in the first place!

I'm patiently waiting for the day when a government spokesperson clearly announces that whatever immigration cap is implemented does not affect students currently studying in UK universities, and they are entitled to apply for the 2 year PSW regardless of what is decided on doomsday (April 5th).

If that does not happen, I am keen to join all of you to fight for a right i should not be fighting for in the first place.

I seriously question myself on my decision to spend 20k GBP of my hard earned money to study in the UK, when I see the ever changing laws in this country and especially when I see news of refugees brazenly disregarding the rules of this country, in-fact crushing little girls under their car and stabbing NHS doctors(see links below), and still getting the right to live here hassle free!

Fascinating. in it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8477346.stm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-12021243

anyway thanks for listening to the rant. please count me in on any action you plan to take when things don't go our (the right) way.

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm

You are right. I hope all of you sent a letter (e-mail) to a local MP. Also, send it to

studentconsultation@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

[quote]
[i]I request everyone to write to Dr. Cable mentioning the advantages and importance of PSW for students and UK.

vincent.cable.mp@parliament.uk (If you are his constituent) otherwise you can write to him at
enquiry.enquiry@bis.gsi.gov.uk[/i][/quote]

removed user

Post by removed user » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 pm

This is what i received from Alan Keen MP.

Dear Mr Anwar,

Further to my last letter regarding your case, I have since received the enclosed reply from the UK Border Agency in response to the representation I made on your behalf.

I trust that the reply enclosed is self-explanatory and I hope this information proves to be of some help. If you feel I can be of any further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Keen MP
Member of Parliament for Feltham and Heston

===============================================

Damian Green MP
Minister For Immigration
2 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DF

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your letter of 14 January to the Home Secretary on behalf of Mr Anwar of *address* , about changes to the student immigration system. Your letter has been passed to me to reply.

Please reassure Mr Anwar that reforms to the student immigration system are not proposed to deter genuine students from studying in the UK. We fully appreciate the benefits and enrichment students bring to the UK whilst studying here. Proposed changes are in no way designed to compromise the UK's competitiveness as a destination of choice for genuine students, coming to study legitimate courses.

Our aim is to continue to encourage the brightest and best students to attend our educational institutions. I also appreciate the economic importance of attracting genuine students to the UK. As an example, it is estimated that international students contributed in the region of £2.2 billion in 2008 to 2009 in tuition fees to higher education institutions. Such a figure highlights the attractiveness of the UK as a place of study and also represents the international reputation our universities, further educational colleges and independent schools have.

Whilst acknowledging the above, there is concern that the UK is also attracting students whose motivation is not always primarily to enter the UK to further their education. Mr Anwar acknowledges in his correspondence that a review of the student visa system is appropriate, to deter those who may want to abuse the system. We want to make sure that those who enter the UK on a student visa come here to study, not to work or with a view of settling in the UK. At the moment too many students, notably amongst those studying at private colleges below degree lever, are not in compliance with the terms of their visa. Therefore the consultation will look at a number of proposals aimed at countering such abuse.

As an example of the UK Border Agency taking on board concerns rased relating to the proposed changes, on 13 December 2010 the Government announced that with effect from 10 January, students from outside the EEA wishing to study English language courses will be able to apply for a student visitor visa allowing them to stay in the UK for up to 11 months. The previous maximum period of stay under the student visitor visa is six months, so this temporary measure will allow language students, particularly those who are relative beginners, to follow courses of a longer duration.

This has been welcomed by English UK, the representative body of over 400 language schools in the UK, as well as by individual schools. We shall monitor closely the practical impacts this temporary concession will have and take a decision on making it permanent in due course.

We welcome the views of educational institutions and interested parties on the proposed changes. To ensure that the experience and concerns of relevant parties can be fully considered a full consultation has taken place, as noted by Mr Anwar. The outcome of this consultation will enable the UKBA to be fully informed of the views and concerns of educational institutions and other interested parties.

Please reassure Mr Anwar this his concerns about the Post Study Route are one of the issues currently under consideration by the UKBA's Student Review Team.

We will announce our final decisions on the future shape of Tier 4 in light of the consultation responses we received, as soon as possible.

Damian Green MP

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Once again Mr. Green uses lots of words but says nothing.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 pm

kamilanwar wrote:This is what i received from Alan Keen MP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Damian Green MP
You made a good effort, I appreciate it.

I think we should concentrate on media as well rather than just hypocrite MPs.
Please every one send mails to newspapers, TV and other source of media as well. So the Government recognize in and out of the country they getting bad reputation.
N/A

removed user

Post by removed user » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:07 am

I believe we should start preparing for a legal challenge and for this we would need to raise funds.

Kasun
Newly Registered

Post by Kasun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm

@LuckyLondon - well said, I second your thoughts.

If we think clearly, it is illogical to link the migration crisis of this country and non-EEA students. It is crystal clear that the government wants to discourage the migration that basically boost by people from EU. Mainly the coalition government is not strong enough to take a step against it. Due to the very high interdependency of the country in EU context. Therefore they turned to strike the weakest link.

Ashley Mote, the author of 'our immigration crisis exposed' states that 'By far the most important is to recover control of our own borders from the EU. The Foreign Secretary's announcement that Britain will allow all 75 million new so-called citizens of the EU to come to the UK immediately their countries become full members in 2004 astonished and horrified millions of viewers.'

Basically, from scrapping a schema like PSW, what kinda benefits this government can gain? the cons are overweight the pros, isn't it? isn't it just cut the direct and indirect income from x number of tax payers who are not depending on public funds, what's the whole point?

Their statistics about the current of PSW holders, are just misleading and illogical in every angle. makes no sense.

Dear All, let's prepare for a legal action if they are not satisfying our requirements (reasonable Transition Agreement). probably this is a straight forward and can win battle.

removed user

Post by removed user » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:08 pm

We have already spent alot of time waiting and discussing.

Now we need a solid plan on how to approach a firm and form a group who would contribute with us.

I suggest one of us should now contact Penningtons and discuss with them on how to proceed as well as bringing them to this forum.

This is the page where we can send http://www.penningtons.co.uk/Contact-us ... -form.aspx

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 pm

If Pennington’s Solicitors already consider consultation is illegal then what’s a point for waiting. It makes more sense to challenge consultation by it self rather than waiting for its results and then take legal action.
N/A

removed user

Post by removed user » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

prepare for the worst hope for the best

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

SSEF wrote:I have a question, if the government said, okay PWS will continue, but there is no route to settlement and no way of switching to a route that could lead to settlement and if you bring your dependents over they will not be able to access to the job market...Would you be happy with this?

I think the government want to stop the link to settlement for students as they see and quite rightly so that students come here to study and it shouldnt be a route to settlement, which a lot use it for (look at how many students study here for 10 years and then go down the 10 year rule route).

I await your responses.

Thanks

SSEF

As to the two links provided regarding the murderers, they used the Human Rights route which I see people banging on about on here all the time - Article 8 seems to open to abuse!
We will be happy Government deliver what they offered.
N/A

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 am

Either way lets not rush them. they;ll announce when they're ready and I don't want them feeling pressured and doing something in haste. I can apply exactly one month from today so please lets drag it out until then lol!

tusso

Post by tusso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 pm

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1550000429

hey, they rose the issue in the house of lords, nothing specifically to psw but as the overall student system, the answer by the conservatives is the same crap, "no no no they dont want to target genuine students, just the ones abusing the system" the good thing about this is that it is also lacking political support, as well as great concern from the education sector, so at least shows there is enough pressure for the system not to be crazily reformed, which leads to possibly think that they might do some minor tweaks, and hopefully we get 2 year TA for PSW

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 pm

sehmett wrote:
PSW does not lead to settlement. However, it allows to switch to the other categories (Tier 1 and Tier 2). We know the situation with Tier 1 General. If the government will also prohibit to swith to the Tier 2, PSW will become useless. Many companies do not want to recruit employees even with 2 year PSW. If organisations know that they do not have an opportunity to extend visa for their employees (swithcing to Tier 1 or 2), they will NOT recruit them.
This.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Why we are going some where else from our goal..The discussion here was abut PSW. Not to discuss all abut the politics...we dnt need to predict or thnk abut ..To whom the visa shuld be given or not..At the end they not going to ask us or take our permission.

Its simple if government wants to close PSW...then they culd and they wunt evn evn look at us....either we are graduated from school, college or any Top universities.

The main aim of this discussion was to ...get awareness among all and get together...If they dint keep any TA for old students.

If really someone wants to discuss then they shuld like
1. How to deal with such situation
2. When and where to get together
3. Which law firm to contact
4. How much time it will take in court
5. What will be our status during tht time
6. And if we need to return back home...then do we come under cap too

Guys these are some point we need to keep in mind..instead of just discussing some other Diplomas, Bogus colleges or any other.

These British people are not Fools.. they knw wht they doing...if u look history they had rule the world...we cant even imagine whts going behind their mind....they dnt evn want our suggestions.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:28 am

There were a number of posts in this topic, increasingly off-topic, which have now been extracted.

Any more off-topic posts will result in the topic being permanently locked, and any repeat offenders also removed!

regards

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:13 pm

"This will cause real damage to the education sector, and the wider British economy, all in pursuit of an artificial migration target.â€

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 pm

[quote="tall_funky"]"This will cause real damage to the education sector, and the wider British economy, all in pursuit of an artificial migration target.â€

tusso

Post by tusso » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 pm

[quote="fibreman"][quote="tall_funky"]"This will cause real damage to the education sector, and the wider British economy, all in pursuit of an artificial migration target.â€

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:55 pm

The proposal's to reform student system was most unfair, ill-thought and un-called for porposals I've seen in a while!!

Mr. D Green(Immigration Minister) wants to close all the "Bogus Colleges" while Mr. D Willetts(Universities Minister) wants to open more!
"We will also allow alternative providers to access the generous system of student loans and grants, so their students will also be able to benefit from not having to pay upfront fees."
http://www.educationinvestor.co.uk/Show ... px?ID=2136

This DEM-cON Govt. is in real chaos and has really scored its own goal, when it comes to HE.
God Forbid but if they do cancel PSW visa, they will be taking a substantial amount of money out of this fragile economy.

I hope and pray this Govt. amends its way before its too late!!

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm

"The Higher Education Statistics Agency data also showed UK universities becoming more reliant on income from international students."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 25122.html

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:00 pm

So, it seems more likely that no changes will be announced before Sept or so? It seems this will stretch... so psw continues for us as it is this year... or whatever happens, I highly doubt they will cancel it.

Pressure is too great... we will get TA, i'm almost sure now... :) This is good news for us. Pressure on them os great.