ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement And Exceptional circumstances

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shadhk

English language requirement And Exceptional circumstances

Post by shadhk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 am

Exemptions

You will not need to meet the English language requirement if you provide satisfactory evidence that:

* you are aged 65 or over at the time when you make your application; or
* you have a physical or mental condition which would prevent you from meeting the requirement; or
* there are exceptional compassionate circumstances which would prevent you from meeting the requirement.

I know its UKBA discretion to illustrate and give meanings to these exceptional circumstances, but still I am thinking and keep thinking about these exceptional circumstances, especially since I realise that it is almost impossible for my wife to learn to speak and understand english and pass this test in HONG KONG.

Because

1. total illitrate
2. busy, sole responsible for look after four children's including one physicaly and mentaly dissable child
3. there is no english course available within 25miles, in HONG KONG.
4. test standard is very high becuase the target test taker is not house wives. instead its for those who seeking entry in uk for academic and work propose.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 am

Information for applicants on the new English language requirement for partners wrote:I have to travel a long distance in my country to take a test. I don’t think this is fair. Can you exempt me?
Applicants will not be exempt if there is a test centre available within their own country.

How will the exceptional compassionate circumstances exemption work? What evidence will I need to supply?
We will only exercise discretion in cases where there are exceptional circumstances specifically relating to the ability of the applicant to meet the language requirement. Consideration will be on a case by case basis. The applicant must demonstrate that, as a result of their circumstances, they are unable to access facilities for learning English. Evidence of an inability to attend, prior/previous attendance or attempts to access learning must be clearly provided. You should provide evidence from an independent source (e.g. from an appropriately qualified medical practitioner).

What would not be regarded as exceptional compassionate circumstances?
Financial reasons or claims of illiteracy or limited education would not, for example, be regarded as exceptional compassionate circumstances.
The way I see it: exceptional compassionate circumstances = physical disability restricting movement / debilitating illness / learning disability / lack of cognitive ability / the likes.

For "real" academic / professional employment purposes, the qualifying criteria are usually much higher (e.g. equivalent to C1 level). And for such purposes, one must pass all modules (speaking writing, listening, reading) at the required level.

regards

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:46 am

The test is a very low level of English. Basic English.
If your circumstances are as complex as you state, even more reason you should be teaching your wife English. You can get home tuition or you can teach her. If she goes to the UK she will need to have some english to manage the complex issues you have.

You have no excuse not to help her learn
pennyless

general

English test

Post by general » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:33 am

Shad bro listen Im teaching my wife English myself, what you need to do is teach her yourself I have alot of material which I can give you as guidence as I am teaching my wife myself too and shes totally illiterate,, but she has experience because she stayed in uk for 7 years....Try to find a EMD test centre thats the easiest they only do listening and speaking no written or reading needed.

Let me see if I can find something in hongkong ,,,exactly where are in hongkong?

general

Post by general » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 am

shadhk

Post by shadhk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 am

pennylessinindia wrote:The test is a very low level of English. Basic English.
If your circumstances are as complex as you state, even more reason you should be teaching your wife English. You can get home tuition or you can teach her. If she goes to the UK she will need to have some english to manage the complex issues you have.

You have no excuse not to help her learn
You are absolutely right, moreover myself and my wife have first hand experience of diificulties and hard times when you cant speak and understand local language, as we have lived in chinese speaking city of hong kong for more than 15 years.

Also there is no problem for me to teach her english as I am teaching her for last 4 months, the problem is that the test takers in hong kong is Hong Kong Examination Authority(HKEA) associated with Pearson, and British Council associated with Cambridge.

In UK, you can pass this test and get certificate within 1-2 months even if you dont know ABC, I know personaly peoples who passed this test, believe it or not they cant communicate in english. (You may know better then me how they get certificate)

Another problem is that HKEA charge £50 for one test sitting, and British Council charge £130GBP for one test sitting.

In UK pay £150 for unlimited tests untill you passed.

I am very very frustrated, angry and nervouse because I feel things out f my control and I cant do anything about it.

shadhk

Post by shadhk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 am

Thank you so much bro for your help, I will contact with EMD. btw I think they are associat with training connect, and I do have contacted with training connect but they say you need to contact with their training center in Guangzhou in China MAINLAND which is 700 miles away from hong kong.