ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dependent wants to study

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

longwalkhome2010

dependent wants to study

Post by longwalkhome2010 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:56 am

i am an mba student in the UK and am going to apply for PSW visa soon. my dependent wife wants to study 12 months masters during my 2 yrs PSW visa. is there any restriction on that? we have taken this decision to avoid the complications of obtaining a student visa for her as it needs to be applied from home country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:28 am

PSW partners shouldn't have any problems studying.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

longwalkhome2010

Post by longwalkhome2010 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 pm

great news...so my wife does not need to go through complicated student visa procedures then :D :D i just hope i get the psw in jun 2011

andsyl
Newly Registered

Re: dependent wants to study

Post by andsyl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 am

longwalkhome2010 wrote:i am an mba student in the UK and am going to apply for PSW visa soon. my dependent wife wants to study 12 months masters during my 2 yrs PSW visa. is there any restriction on that? we have taken this decision to avoid the complications of obtaining a student visa for her as it needs to be applied from home country.
I agreed with the previous member. How long has your spouse been in the UK as your dependent? If more than 3 years she can register at University as a home student. This means paying the same fees as the British students.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 am

andsyl wrote:
longwalkhome2010 wrote:i am an mba student in the UK and am going to apply for PSW visa soon. my dependent wife wants to study 12 months masters during my 2 yrs PSW visa. is there any restriction on that? we have taken this decision to avoid the complications of obtaining a student visa for her as it needs to be applied from home country.
I agreed with the previous member. How long has your spouse been in the UK as your dependent? If more than 3 years she can register at University as a home student. This means paying the same fees as the British students.
This is not correct.

What part of the student fee regulations are you referring to?

In order for the wife to qualify for home fees she would need to be settled in the UK unless she is the family member of a UK/EU national or someone with refugee status/humanitarian protection or meets one of the other catergories listed in the link below.

See: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... s_ewni.php

andsyl
Newly Registered

Post by andsyl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Greenie wrote:
andsyl wrote:
This is not correct.

In order for the wife to qualify for home fees she would need to be settled in the UK unless she is the family member of a UK/EU national or someone with refugee status/humanitarian protection or meets one of the other catergories listed in the link below.

My wife has studied for an NVQ level 4 at thames valley university and the conditions to pay home student fees was to have been in the UK for at least 3 years (with proof in the passport), been legally in the UK, and not have entered the UK on student visa.

The course was part-time for 12 months. I am sorry my experience is not based on a UKBA on specific regulations. It may be necessary to check with the School. But I can confirm that many couples (that I know) have taken advantage of this. May be it is only valid for Further education training.
I have checked the link and you are perfectly rights. Sorry to have generalized my personal experience.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 pm

andsyl wrote:
Greenie wrote:
andsyl wrote:
This is not correct.

My wife has studied for an NVQ level 4 at thames valley university and the conditions to pay home student fees was to have been in the UK for at least 3 years (with proof in the passport), been legally in the UK, and not have entered the UK on student visa.

The course was part-time for 12 months. I am sorry my experience is not based on a UKBA on specific regulations. It may be necessary to check with the School. But I can confirm that many couples (that I know) have taken advantage of this. May be it is only valid for Further education training.
I have checked the link and you are perfectly rights. Sorry to have generalized my personal experience.
Yes the rules for Further Education are different (and more generous).

See http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... provisions

However the OP's wife wants to study a masters so the link and advice in my previous post applies.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Greenie wrote:
andsyl wrote:
Greenie wrote:
andsyl wrote:
This is not correct.

Yes the rules for Further Education are different (and more generous).

See http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... provisions

However the OP's wife wants to study a masters so the link and advice in my previous post applies.
You are absolutely right. for higher education applicant has to be settled and living in the UK for at least 3 years with any means rather than student visa.