ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration reforms and future of Tier 1 (PSW)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jlewisunh

Post by jlewisunh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 pm

fibreman wrote:So, it seems more likely that no changes will be announced before Sept or so? It seems this will stretch... so psw continues for us as it is this year... or whatever happens, I highly doubt they will cancel it.

Pressure is too great... we will get TA, i'm almost sure now... :) This is good news for us. Pressure on them os great.
Where did you get September from?

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:01 pm

jlewisunh wrote:
fibreman wrote:So, it seems more likely that no changes will be announced before Sept or so? It seems this will stretch... so psw continues for us as it is this year... or whatever happens, I highly doubt they will cancel it.

Pressure is too great... we will get TA, i'm almost sure now... :) This is good news for us. Pressure on them os great.
Well, when the consultation was set up initially, it was mentioned vaguely that changes are supposed to affect next batch of students, as universities have to be notified in advance and so on.

Usually, immigration changes all tend to come in april. However, it seems this will stretch... as there is fierce opposition from unis and govt is consulting and debating about changes.

To make changes in April, one would have to make a formal announcement very soon. That seems unlikely now.

I speculate that we might have to wait for a while from now. Extremely unlikely they will randomly do smth in say, July now.

There is no official mention of sept, though.

tusso

Post by tusso » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 am

fibreman wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:

Well, when the consultation was set up initially, it was mentioned vaguely that changes are supposed to affect next batch of students, as universities have to be notified in advance and so on.

Usually, immigration changes all tend to come in april. However, it seems this will stretch... as there is fierce opposition from unis and govt is consulting and debating about changes.

To make changes in April, one would have to make a formal announcement very soon. That seems unlikely now.

I speculate that we might have to wait for a while from now. Extremely unlikely they will randomly do smth in say, July now.

Yeah they tried to rush it, and even the consultation time was unfair, instead of 12 week they only did an 8 week consultation, and still it seems that any chages will only affect the 2012-2013 intake since recruiting has already started and would be really unfair...

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm

tusso wrote:
fibreman wrote:
jlewisunh wrote:

Yeah they tried to rush it, and even the consultation time was unfair, instead of 12 week they only did an 8 week consultation, and still it seems that any chages will only affect the 2012-2013 intake since recruiting has already started and would be really unfair...

Yes, precisely my point... this will all stretch now. It seems there will be no decision in March now, so most likely rules stay the same for some time.

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 am

Hi, all

The new UKBA's list of fee for visa application after 6th April 2011 till keep the term for PSW visa. Does it imply that no change of PSW after April 6, 2011?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 am

Unikid wrote:Hi, all

The new UKBA's list of fee for visa application after 6th April 2011 till keep the term for PSW visa. Does it imply that no change of PSW after April 6, 2011?
no.. doesnt mean anything...

we all knew tier1 psw would remain... the question is will they reduce the duration or not?

Unikid
Newly Registered

Post by Unikid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 pm

arsenal49 wrote:

we all knew tier1 psw would remain... the question is will they reduce the duration or not?
It seems still uncertain........how do you know psw will remain? .....Would you please analyse exisitng suitation?

cruxifixo
Newly Registered

Post by cruxifixo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Unikid wrote:
arsenal49 wrote:

It seems still uncertain........how do you know psw will remain? .....Would you please analyse exisitng suitation?
That does not need any analysis. Virtually all competing countries have a scheme similar to PSW visa. Even France is thinking of introducing 3 years. The UK cant afford to be d odd one out. The PSW visa will highly likely remain as it with restrictions OR limit to 1year.
NOTE: That is my personal conclusion based on the few news coming out of the consultation so far and discussion with people in d know how.

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

yes its true tht evry country have similar schemes like PSW
but its fr 2or 3yrs and evn they got some further way to extend..

But in case of PSW, we dnt have any hope aftr but then also if its reduce to 1yr....then its totally wastage of time

Its seems like govnt wunt cancel it but culd restrict or reduce it....Both situation not acceptable at all.....

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 pm

If they reduce PSW till one year the question is still remained the same. What are transitional arrangements? One year visa can be applied to new students but not for us! :evil:

And again, one year visa is useless cos companies will not recruit employees with one year visa. What is the point to spend money for an employee who will possibly leave in one year?

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I agree with you guys, we need our 2 years PSW as promised to us!!

All the indicators are pointing towards TA but you never know!!!

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Another report for Mr. D Green to ponder on.
Now, He must stop saying "PSW visa holders displace local graduates".

This paper was not published under Labour, I wonder why??

"The rural economy paper says it is unlikely migration has had a significant impact on the wages of British workers across the UK as a whole, that national studies have not found evidence of a link between increased immigration and displaced UK staff, and that migrants are predominantly competing with each other for work, rather than UK nationals."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12609601

It does make sense that migrants are competing with each other, because if you think of it, you can't just jump off the boat and start competing with UK nationals!!

luckylondon

Post by luckylondon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

look at ths news.... http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 533288.cms

Let suppose for a while tht PSW only replacing British graduates jobs...so why would they allow 20, 000 more visas from India...now they dnt concern abut their Home students carrier...

Their is no such gud reason...to stop PSW, its just micky to tell their people tht they are stricting the rules ....and why we wuld only we suffer, we had alrdy added a huge contribution to their economy...they cant play with our future too

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Michael Luger argues in this article "There is evidence that foreign students have chosen to matriculate in universities in the UK, rather than in the US, continental Europe or Australia, because of the opportunity to get two years of work experience in the UK before returning home."

He goes on to say "I do not dispute that the UK immigration system has problems that need to be addressed but the focus on highly skilled and post-study work visas is misguided and these proposed changes need to be rethought."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/da7a1c16-40ec ... z1FTKNZ1hA

TBH, I really can’t understand how this govt. even thought of cancelling PSW!!!
Not a single soul is in support of these proposal's!!!!

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Hey look at this, its the new enquiry:

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... ingId=7788

They talk bout post study work, this points out that they wont close it,

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

tall_funky wrote:I agree with you guys, we need our 2 years PSW as promised to us!!

All the indicators are pointing towards TA but you never know!!!
TBH, yes, 1 year psw is pure waste of time... if we don't get 2 years, I think we must push for courts.

Atl, currently graduating students should have 2 years... TA.

They keep saying they don't want us to work in low end jobs... but with 1 year psw, this is exactly the ONLY kind of job u can get.
Nobody will invest money in you to leave in few months... thus, at best, w 1 year thing, u can only scrub floors and such.

2 years, or court. Who's with me?

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

fibreman wrote: 2 years, or court. Who's with me?
Me :D
N/A

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Tier 4 wrote:
fibreman wrote: 2 years, or court. Who's with me?
Me :D
Me too :)

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:57 pm

According to APPG on Migration "A reduction in international students could have negative economic impacts at regional and national level, arising from decreased tuition fee income, off-campus spending, and indirect economic contributions from students."

You can read more here:
http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/sites/d ... _paper.pdf

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 pm

tusso wrote:Hey look at this, its the new enquiry:

This is the last part of an ongoing enquiry and I agree with tusso that both minister's were in very much favour of PSW, although I'm not sure if PSW can survive in its present form or not?

I don't understand how whitehall guy's can come up with these ill-thought, unfair and un-called for proposals!!
Point by point, these proposals have been defeated and i'm really wondering what more can be done to convince Mr. D Green to see the day light.

Another article in Times Higher Education:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... 415369&c=1

tusso

Post by tusso » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

tall_funky wrote:

This is the last part of an ongoing enquiry and I agree with tusso that both minister's were in very much favour of PSW, although I'm not sure if PSW can survive in its present form or not?

I don't understand how whitehall guy's can come up with these ill-thought, unfair and un-called for proposals!!
Point by point, these proposals have been defeated and i'm really wondering what more can be done to convince Mr. D Green to see the day light.

The new PSW could take many aspects such as restricting it to certain degrees within the sciences and lawyers, but I highly doubt this since this hasnt even been considered nor expressed by anyone in the government and it would discriminate other legitimate degrees...

Time reduction seems like a possibility which I agree with everyone is pretty pointless, and there was another method posted by one of the think tanks which stated that currently there are around 700 institutions into which if u graduate you could get a PSW visa, so a recommendation was to limit PSW to the 116 mainstream UK universities highly trusted sponsor institutions, lets see what happens...

I doubt proposals will now come in April and the minister said he didn't have any concrete dates but didnt he did look very worried and pressured about these negotiations...

I liked how the MPs bashed him cause instead of pushing an all clear policy proposal with the immigration institute it was all rushed, though the longer this takes might help us people graduating this year, fingers crossed!

sehmett

Post by sehmett » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

[quote="fibreman"][quote="tall_funky"]I agree with you guys, we need our 2 years PSW as promised to us!!

2 years, or court. Who's with me?[/quote]

Many of us!!!!! :D 8)

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm

tall_funky wrote:According to APPG on Migration "A reduction in international students could have negative economic impacts at regional and national level, arising from decreased tuition fee income, off-campus spending, and indirect economic contributions from students."

You can read more here:
http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/sites/d ... _paper.pdf
Yes... but do we need research for this? This is perfectly obvious. Intl students are big business in UK.
Not only fees... i've said that a couple of times.

Regarding PSW, I think the suggestion to shorten to 1 year was also criticised, right? It really makes no sense.

In Canada, for instance, u get psw in duration of your studies. Like, a 3 year course-3 year psw. Afterwards, they want you to settle and make it extremely easy.

Regardless, we just want our justice here!

fibreman

Post by fibreman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

tusso wrote:
tall_funky wrote:

The new PSW could take many aspects such as restricting it to certain degrees within the sciences and lawyers, but I highly doubt this since this hasnt even been considered nor expressed by anyone in the government and it would discriminate other legitimate degrees...

Time reduction seems like a possibility which I agree with everyone is pretty pointless, and there was another method posted by one of the think tanks which stated that currently there are around 700 institutions into which if u graduate you could get a PSW visa, so a recommendation was to limit PSW to the 116 mainstream UK universities highly trusted sponsor institutions, lets see what happens...

I doubt proposals will now come in April and the minister said he didn't have any concrete dates but didnt he did look very worried and pressured about these negotiations...

I liked how the MPs bashed him cause instead of pushing an all clear policy proposal with the immigration institute it was all rushed, though the longer this takes might help us people graduating this year, fingers crossed!
I don't think anything will happen in april-when laws usually take effect... and over summer, they take a break anyway, lol. Likely, nothing before sept or so... which means that even before announcing TA, us for this year, are most likely OK.

Only suggestion I would perhaps agree with, is limiting PSW to "non sham" unis, highly trusted ones.

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

fibreman wrote:
Only suggestion I would perhaps agree with, is limiting PSW to "non sham" unis, highly trusted ones.
I think PSW is limited to degree's awarded by Unis :D

Some Positive news here:
"
The immigration minister indicated last month that he and Willetts were considering placing time restrictions on post-work study rather than abolishing the scheme.
"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... l-students