ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact on child's Irish Citizenship if out of country 2+yr

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ITGuru
India

Impact on child's Irish Citizenship if out of country 2+yr

Post by ITGuru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 pm

I would like to know about the impact of my Child's Irish Citizenship (got based on his Mom's residency in Ireland) if he is staying out of Ireland for 2+ years. His mom (Non-EU) would be working in Ireland but I (Non-EU) wish to leave Ireland with my kids for around 2-3 years.

Could his citizenship be renewed from outside Ireland? I dont mind coming back to Ireland for a month or so to renew it but one of my friend's told me that they would ask questions like why should we renew it if staying out of the country etc. Is it true?

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 am

What do you mean by renewing the citizenship?
your child is irish by born so he has nothing to do if he away from the country.
What I know,
if you are Irish by naturalization and you are away from the country for more than a year so you have to inform the Irish embassy in the coutry of residence that you are there and what are the reasons of being there.
one of the conditions for granting the Irish citizenship based on naturaliztion that you intend to stay in Ireland for the rest of your life.
It's different in your child's case.
may be the senior members of the forum can advise as well.
peace on you

strongbow
Member of Standing

Re: Impact on child's Irish Citizenship if out of country 2+

Post by strongbow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:08 pm

ITGuru wrote:I would like to know about the impact of my Child's Irish Citizenship (got based on his Mom's residency in Ireland) if he is staying out of Ireland for 2+ years. His mom (Non-EU) would be working in Ireland but I (Non-EU) wish to leave Ireland with my kids for around 2-3 years.

Could his citizenship be renewed from outside Ireland? I dont mind coming back to Ireland for a month or so to renew it but one of my friend's told me that they would ask questions like why should we renew it if staying out of the country etc. Is it true?
From what you have stated above your child is an Irish national by birth (due to his mother being resident here for the specified time as mentioned in the irish immigration laws).
There's absolutely no issue in moving your child out of the country for any length of time.
you can get the child's passport renewed in the Irish embassy of the country where you plan to reside--it will take longer to renew this than it would take in Ireland since the embassy will need to send all the relevant documentation back to Ireland and get it processed here. (In Ireland it takes 10 working days max whereas in other countries it could take upto 4 to 5 weeks)

cobra

Post by cobra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Nothing to be worry, very easy and simple. I `ve got a irish born child and we live in UK. the last time I renew her passport through the irish Embassy in london was in mid 2010 and they send me the passport within 5 weeks.

ITGuru
India

Thanks

Post by ITGuru » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Thank you all for clarifying my doubt,
IRISH PHAROE, I actually meant renewing the passport.