ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how many points ?!

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ali_bolbol20

how many points ?!

Post by ali_bolbol20 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:15 am

Hi,
================
education = 17 years full time ( including one year full time english language course + 1 year which had to be done again because i failed a module while i was at primary school :lol: )
HND in computer sience(2years) + 2 years higher diploma in database management + MCP and OCP(oracle certified professional)
how many points will i get for education ??20?22?

2. I've been studying in uk for past 5 years but havent done any IELT exam !!! I have done KET and PET English language certification from Cambridge and passed it (about 4 years ago) any idea how many point i will be getting under this category ?

3. I have 4 years experience working as Customer service representative for Billing department (doing data processing ) can I claim it ?

thanks

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:16 pm

To answer your questions:

1. I do not know which country your qualification comes from so I cannot comment on that. You can have your qualifications verified through UK Naric services at www.uknaric.org.uk or www.wes.org - if your qualifications are from outside the UK, which I assume it is.

2. I am afraid, you would have to take the IELTS exams. It has become mandatory for present applicants (I think since last year). From your post, I can tell that you are not that proficient in the english language and to claim maximum points please arrange to take the test in the near future - during the application process or before. That is your choice. The following is an
excerpt from CIC's website:

Official Language Testing

1.The best way to provide proof of language skills is to take a language proficiency test given by an organization approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If you do so, you will be able to see exactly how many points you will receive for the language factor according to your test results.

You Must

Make arrangements for testing by an approved organization. You will have to pay the costs.
Include the results of your test with your immigration application.

Approved Language Tests
You can arrange to take a language test from any of the following approved organizations.

English Language Testing Organizations

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

The University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate, IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia and the British Council administer this test.

Note: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests. There is a “General Training” and an “Academic” option. You must take the “General Training” option.

CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program

The Applied Research and Evaluation Services of the University of British Columbia administer this test.

OR

2. Providing Other Written Evidence
We strongly recommend that you take an official language test if you are claiming skills in a language that is not your native language.

If you choose not to take an approved language test, you must prove your ability to speak, listen, read and write Canada’s official languages through other written evidence. You must provide written proof and explanation that clearly shows you meet the benchmark criteria listed in the Canadian Language Benchmarks in each of the four skills.

NOTE

CIC officers will not conduct an interview to assess your language skills.
CIC will only use test results from organizations approved by CIC in assigning language points.

You Must

Indicate what level of language proficiency you are claiming for each skill (speaking, listening, reading and writing).

Submit, with your application for immigration, a written explanation and supporting documentation as proof of the levels you have indicated.

This material should include:
a written submission explaining your training in English or French;
an explanation of how you commonly use English or French;
official documentation of education in English or French; and
official documentation of work experience in English or French.

Without test results with your application, there would be only two outcomes to your application:1. CIC will request you take the test or 2. Your application would be judge based on the evidence you have provided and you are likely to gain a maximum of 4 points.

3. Check your work experience against the NOC list of occupations. If it does not appear on the list of occupations and the required duties, you would get zero points. Go do your home work mate!

Caution: Please take time to read the notes on www.cic.gc.ca before you ask any further questions.
Praise The Lord!!!!

ali_bolbol20

Post by ali_bolbol20 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:29 pm

thanks for your information,
all of my qualifications are from uk except high school's diploma which is from iran,
regarding to the language points: as long as they consider me as basic proficieency 2+2+2+2=8 i would be happy,logically if my english wasnt at basic level how could i obtain HND from uk college?

i hope their role is not as tough as uk's :lol:

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:12 pm

You are welcome.
You will be surprised you will not get 8 points and you don't want to try these people because they can be very strict and to the book. So long as English is not your official language, you would have to take the test no matter the number of years you have spent in England. They can return your application or ask you to take it during the process and this will delay your application process. Take the advise. Your HND in England means nothing to them. People with MBA's and Phd's even have to take the test. Take my advise and take the test.
These guys are more stringent than the UK when it comes to migration. I will tell you that for free.

I will not answer any more of your questions if its in relation to language testing.
BYE
Last edited by jes2jes on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ali_bolbol20

Post by ali_bolbol20 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:39 am

thanks for the information much appreciated, it was kind of priceless !