ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Wife Under 21

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

onourway
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa - Wife Under 21

Post by onourway » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

My wife and I married in November but she is not 21 until August so is unable to get a spouse visa until then.

When can she actualy apply for a spouse visa, I realise she won't be able to enter until she is 21? The guide on their website is a little vague in my opinion "couple of months" etc.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

You can have a visa issued date deferred for up to 3 months, so you should be able to apply 3 months before her 21st birthday asking for entry after this date.

onourway
Newly Registered

Post by onourway » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Casa wrote:You can have a visa issued date deferred for up to 3 months, so you should be able to apply 3 months before her 21st birthday asking for entry after this date.
Thanks, she's here visiting at the moment (entry via stamp upon arrival). Obviously we want to limit the time we have to be apart.

Can she start the process before she goes home (before the maximum 6 months on stamp is up) - I realise she'll need to be in the USA for the fingerprints etc but can she do it just before she leaves and pick a date for when she'll be home, or is this against the rules?

How would we prove contact during the 6 month period she'll be here, we have emails between us (me at work, her at home) during that period, and a load of photos with my friends/family. Would that be enough?

Thanks

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

If she's a US applicant, it's pretty much going to be fast track anyways. So include the marriage certificate, a few pictures (5 or less) and let them know in the cover letter that she stayed with you for 6 months in the UK. The stamps will speak for themselves in her passport. Also make sure to pay for quicker processing with world bridge. Then you'll only be apart a maximum of 15 days.

onourway
Newly Registered

Post by onourway » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:21 pm

ElenaW wrote:If she's a US applicant, it's pretty much going to be fast track anyways. So include the marriage certificate, a few pictures (5 or less) and let them know in the cover letter that she stayed with you for 6 months in the UK. The stamps will speak for themselves in her passport. Also make sure to pay for quicker processing with world bridge. Then you'll only be apart a maximum of 15 days.
Thanks Elena, we'll have to be apart for a bit longer than that because she isn't 21 until August and she has to leave here by the beginning of June or she'll be classed as an overstayer.

I didn't know there was a fast track based on the country, that's good news. We are going to pay for the 15 day thing anyway though, it would be stupid not to I think. The plan is to get a flight back for the day before her 21st birthday (which would arrive in the UK on the morning of her actual birthday).

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 am

onourway wrote:
Thanks Elena, we'll have to be apart for a bit longer than that because she isn't 21 until August and she has to leave here by the beginning of June or she'll be classed as an overstayer.

I didn't know there was a fast track based on the country, that's good news. We are going to pay for the 15 day thing anyway though, it would be stupid not to I think. The plan is to get a flight back for the day before her 21st birthday (which would arrive in the UK on the morning of her actual birthday).
Good plan but don't book your travels until the visa is in her hand. It may have mistakes on it that they might need to fix (it happens sometimes) like a misspelled name for example.

The quicker service is $300 so since you'll be paying $1,000+ for the visa itself, I suppose $300 isn't too much more although, yikes it's quite a lot.

onourway
Newly Registered

Post by onourway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 am

ElenaW wrote:
onourway wrote:

Good plan but don't book your travels until the visa is in her hand. It may have mistakes on it that they might need to fix (it happens sometimes) like a misspelled name for example.

The quicker service is $300 so since you'll be paying $1,000+ for the visa itself, I suppose $300 isn't too much more although, yikes it's quite a lot.
Thanks, we've got no choice regarding the travel really, she doesn't have a ticket back to the USA at the moment (she was going to just stay for a couple of weeks but things back in the USA changed so she decided to stay for the full six months). We'll therefore be booking a return ticket, with the return date being after her birthday.

We'll also have to do the visa/flights in her maiden name as the passport and tickets will be in her maiden name too. I've read up on this elsewhere and they say this isn't a problem, is that right?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

They must be in her maiden name which I'm assuming is the name on her passport. So yes it's not a problem. Unless she wants to get a new passport with her married name.

onourway
Newly Registered

Post by onourway » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 pm

ElenaW wrote:They must be in her maiden name which I'm assuming is the name on her passport. So yes it's not a problem. Unless she wants to get a new passport with her married name.
Thanks, no she won't have time for a new passport and in any event, she'll be using a return ticket so the name she travels under will have to be the same each way. Having the visa in maiden name isn't a problem for us though :D