ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quite a complex situation. Can anyone help?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kay27
Australia

Quite a complex situation. Can anyone help?

Post by Kay27 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am

Hi there

I've posted on here a few times and got some very good advice, so i am hoping someone can help me.

Basically I'm Australian and moved to Ireland in 2000 and believe I qualify to stay in Ireland 'without condition to time' in April this year. I am currently stamp 4.

I own a home here but lost my job in december 2010. I have seen a job that I have a very good chance of getting in the UK. A good few jobs going in the publishing industry. There is nothing going over here at all - believe me i have looked everywhereand have no problem renting out my place and moving counties.

So, am wondering what to do. If I get this job and move, I am presuming that I will lose all the time I have put in getting to this stage and would not be allowed to ever move back here.

Does anyone know if that is the case. Once I have condition to stay, can i move to the UK freely and come back again or do I have to stay here?

Thanks

Kay

strongbow
Member of Standing

Re: Quite a complex situation. Can anyone help?

Post by strongbow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Kay27 wrote:Hi there

I've posted on here a few times and got some very good advice, so i am hoping someone can help me.

Basically I'm Australian and moved to Ireland in 2000 and believe I qualify to stay in Ireland 'without condition to time' in April this year. I am currently stamp 4.

I own a home here but lost my job in december 2010. I have seen a job that I have a very good chance of getting in the UK. A good few jobs going in the publishing industry. There is nothing going over here at all - believe me i have looked everywhereand have no problem renting out my place and moving counties.

So, am wondering what to do. If I get this job and move, I am presuming that I will lose all the time I have put in getting to this stage and would not be allowed to ever move back here.

Does anyone know if that is the case. Once I have condition to stay, can i move to the UK freely and come back again or do I have to stay here?

Thanks

Kay
My understanding is that once you get stamp 5 or 6 there's no issues with leaving the country. However the following cases may arise:
1. You need to get a newer stamp on your passport once your current passport expires -- I'm not sure how this is handled. I dont know if GNIB might ask you for more docs when you go to get the stamp transferred to your new passport.
2. You want to apply for naturalisation -- In this case again normal terms and conditions will apply (i.e. you need to provide the relevant docs showing that you have been living and working here for the relevant no of years before your application)

Kay27
Australia

Post by Kay27 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm

It is so confusing... realistically I dont see me getting a full-time job in Ireland any time soon.

I got a stamp 4 in October and am of the understanding i cant even apply for the stamp 5 till that only has 6 months left on it (so April/May).

And then it takes a couple of months to come through if all documentation is accounted for.

If anyone knows if I can work in the UK when all of this is through I'd really appreciate it.

I'd hate to move to the UK, then lose my job and be not able to return to ireland.

Wisco

Post by Wisco » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:03 pm

I think you would need a separate permission to work in the UK (stamp 4 only allows you to live/work in Ireland). Once you leave for an extended period of time (more than a couple months- I can't remember the number of days you need per year to be 'ordinarily resident' in Ireland) your previous few years aren't cancelled, but if your stamp 4 runs out I'm not sure it would be automatically renewed and if it's obvious by your tax statements that you aren't working in Ireland, you may not be granted WCATT/stamp 5. I think if you move away for a year (for example) but then move back to Ireland, you can still use the previous few years that you've lived here to apply for your WCATT but you have to have been resident for the year immediately preceding your application for them to consider it. I'm not an expert, but that's what I understand from the INIS website.

Kay27
Australia

Post by Kay27 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Wisco

I won't move anywhere till I have my stamp 5. I'd have to get sponsored to be in the UK but there is a lot more work in my field over there - loads more!!

I was thinking if i got my stamp 5 and then went to the UK, if anything happened over there I could just come back to Ireland.... I have an apartment here that I could rent out.

It's just a nightmare. I cannot see the job market improving here for a while yet and the thought of being out of work for a year terrifies me.

room1102

Post by room1102 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Kay27 wrote:Thanks Wisco

I won't move anywhere till I have my stamp 5. I'd have to get sponsored to be in the UK but there is a lot more work in my field over there - loads more!!

I was thinking if i got my stamp 5 and then went to the UK, if anything happened over there I could just come back to Ireland.... I have an apartment here that I could rent out.

It's just a nightmare. I cannot see the job market improving here for a while yet and the thought of being out of work for a year terrifies me.
When is your stamp 4 runs out? April is only 2 months away. If I were you, apply for your stamp 5 and then go to UK but you have to figure out how to travel to UK without your passport. Otherwise, you will have to wait for INIS to process your application and than send your passport back to you before you travel to UK. They will only give you a stamp 5 for however your passport valid to, so if your passport only have 3 years left, go to renew your passport before you apply for stamp 5 because they will still charge you 150 euro regardless the length of your stamp 5. I have been told by one of the person I know, make an appointment and with all your passport(s) and show up in INIS before your stamp 5. INIS will give you a new stamp 5 in your new passport and you need to pay another 150 Euro to register it. The best place to go check about this is MRC Dublin or Immigrant Council. Good luck

Kay27
Australia

Post by Kay27 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Room 1102 - my stamp 4 runs out end of October.

I am prepared to stay here in Ireland till the stamp 5 comes through.

I dont have a job in the UK, I just know i am far more likely to get one over there than here.

If I was to move to the UK after the stamp 5 is sorted and take up a sponsored job there, would there be an issue with me eventually moving back to Ireland once the work situation improved over here?

I dont particularly want to move to England (I lived there on a visa '97-'99) as I own my own place here, but if i don't get a job by march next year my mortgage protection runs out and I can't afford to pay for it on the dole.

My passport is valid until 2017. Can I renew a stamp 5 after my passport runs out?

Thanks everyone for all the info, really appreciate it.

room1102

Post by room1102 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 am

Kay27 wrote:Room 1102 - my stamp 4 runs out end of October.

I am prepared to stay here in Ireland till the stamp 5 comes through.

I dont have a job in the UK, I just know i am far more likely to get one over there than here.

If I was to move to the UK after the stamp 5 is sorted and take up a sponsored job there, would there be an issue with me eventually moving back to Ireland once the work situation improved over here?

I dont particularly want to move to England (I lived there on a visa '97-'99) as I own my own place here, but if i don't get a job by march next year my mortgage protection runs out and I can't afford to pay for it on the dole.

My passport is valid until 2017. Can I renew a stamp 5 after my passport runs out?

Thanks everyone for all the info, really appreciate it.
If rules stays the same, it will not be an issue that to renew your stamp 5. If I were you, get your stamp 5 and go. The worst senerio, you might just have to fly back for a week to do the paper work for renewing your stamp 5. Hey, you flying from uk is only an hour, it is alot better flying from Australia. Isnt it?